Tesla reverses course again - raising prices, leaving some stores open

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When driving back same thing happened autosteer disabled after 22 miles. I tried your trick but dint work. Looks like it going to take me some time to get used to this. Ordering FSD today I am in.
Also when I try to activate auto steer I never get it in first try. I press down twice does not work, try again it works. Is there a trick for this as well? Sorry for the digression.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When driving back same thing happened autosteer disabled after 22 miles. I tried your trick but dint work. Looks like it going to take me some time to get used to this. Ordering FSD today I am in.
Do anything(other than just grip) to the steering wheel. Lightly pull one direction or the other, do anything with either scroll wheel, turn either blinker on, turn radio volume up or down. Anything that let's the car know that you are "hands on wheel". Ironically, just having your hands on the wheel is inadequate as the wheel has no pressure sensors.

There seems to be a rhythm to the lane keep enact. You can't double-tap too quickly or too slowly. It's sort of a tap pause tap.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
AP was activated yesterday for me. Glad I bought it. Today when I was on highway it was prompting me to hold the wheel which I had. Red screen came up and disabled auto steer for me for the rest of the drive. This happened after driving 25 miles. Annoying.
I drove NoA for about 120 miles today off and on and it worked well. One time it didn't like a trailer that this guy was pulling with a flapping tarp. It freaked out. Warning me of a side impact. But all in all pretty good. It told me to hold a couple time but just by resting my had at 3 or 9 O'clock, it provides enough torque to keep alerts at bay

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I drove NoA for about 120 miles today off and on and it worked well. One time it didn't like a trailer that this guy was pulling with a flapping tarp. It freaked out. Warning me of a side impact. But all in all pretty good. It told me to hold a couple time but just by resting my had at 3 or 9 O'clock, it provides enough torque to keep alerts at bay
Glad to hear that you're getting used to it!;);)

C.Ross

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also when I try to activate auto steer I never get it in first try. I press down twice does not work, try again it works. Is there a trick for this as well? Sorry for the digression.
One suggestion is don’t pull down “all the way”. Just pull it down quickly 2x to less than you’d think you need to. To the first “resistance”. I used to pull it down as low as it would go and then realized it doesn’t need the full pull down. Makes it easier and quieter to activate. Just my suggestion - hopefully helps.

C.Ross

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One suggestion is don’t pull down “all the way”. Just pull it down quickly 2x to less than you’d think you need to. To the first “resistance”. I used to pull it down as low as it would go and then realized it doesn’t need the full pull down. Makes it easier and quieter to activate. Just my suggestion - hopefully helps.
Or maybe you were going too fast and it was only registering it as 1 pull down. Could try doing it slower?

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having just bought this last week and going active on Saturday morning, I am glad I bought both. With just the AP, you cant change lanes in Autosteer. So you will have to overpower the autosteer to change lanes. Not hard but kinda jerky to do. With the FSD you get the lane change, Nav on AP, Summon and Hardware upgrade in the future. Glad I did it
Recently added the new AP myself... True, you can't change lanes with Autosteer active with only the new AP package, but not true that you have to overpower AP/Autosteer to change lanes.

Fully engaging a turn signal in either direction (not the 3-blink half press signal) will kick off Autosteer but will leave you in the TACC mode maintaining distance and speed. From there you manually make the lane change and a quick double tap down on the drive stalk and you're Autoseering once again. The added tone from enable/disable is a little annoying, but the operation is fairly seamless. :cool:

The other option that works with "AP lite" EAP or FSD would be lifting the drive stalk once UP quickly. This disengages all AP/FSD features all in one shot.

I may have misspoke when I said applying the turn signal turned off autosteer. I thought that it was doing that for me - but then yesterday it didn’t seem to be doing that. I probably messed up. Sorry. I’ll just need to buy FSD today.
It does, see my reply/explanation above. :)

Last edited:

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Recently added the new AP myself... True, you can't change lanes with Autosteer active with only the new AP package, but not true that you have to overpower AP/Autosteer to change lanes.

Fully engaging a turn signal in either direction (not the 3-blink half press signal) will kick off Autosteer but will leave you in the TACC mode maintaining distance and speed.
That's cool, but with the AP + FSD, you cant do that. You have to either disengage the whole thing with the Right Stalk or overpower it. I wish there was a better way to do it. I was cruising home today and had to overpower it for traffic being dumb

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's cool, but with the AP + FSD, you cant do that. You have to either disengage the whole thing with the Right Stalk or overpower it. I wish there was a better way to do it. I was cruising home today and had to overpower it for traffic being dumb
I missed the part about adding "both" as in AP + FSD in your previous response.... I was responding specifically to your comment of "With just the AP, you can't change lanes in Autosteer".

So since you have FSD, why would you not use Auto Lane Change rather than disabling Auto Steer to change lanes?

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I missed the part about adding "both" as in AP + FSD in your previous response.... I was responding specifically to your comment of "With just the AP, you can't change lanes in Autosteer".

So since you have FSD, why would you not use Auto Lane Change rather than disabling Auto Steer to change lanes?
Because on 5.15, Lane change is extraordinarily balky. I'm leaving in 4 weeks on an 8,000 mile road trip, and I hope like hell we have another update before then. Lane change in this iteration is the worst it has been so far. For me, it's not usable.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Oh, I do at times. But there are some times when I see a situation developing, I like would rather take over just the steering, and leave the TACC on. Like passing a truck and I wanna hug the left side of the lane type thing. There are also times when it doesn't want to change lanes so I have to make it.

John A Bailey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
AP was activated yesterday for me. Glad I bought it. Today when I was on highway it was prompting me to hold the wheel which I had. Red screen came up and disabled auto steer for me for the rest of the drive. This happened after driving 25 miles. Annoying.
Yep It is annoying. This happens to me several times a day when I exceed 90 mph. My wife and Officer Welch both think this is my fault though