Tesla replaced WC following damage from improper install

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd rather try to fix it than deal with Tesla service.

If there's a way to test the cable that would be helpful.

One of the control wires could be broken in the cable, but I don't know how the button circuit is configured into the mix or what the circuit in the the handle is.
I had my HPWC blowout on me one night, actually caused my main 200amp house breaker to trip. I called Tesla Support, there is a different number for electrical, and it was an easy 10 minute phone call, texted a couple pictures and they sent out a new unit that got here in a couple days.
Call this number instead of the normal Tesla support - 510-249-2490

Attachments

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had my HPWC blowout on me one night, actually caused my main 200amp house breaker to trip. I called Tesla Support, there is a different number for electrical, and it was an easy 10 minute phone call, texted a couple pictures and they sent out a new unit that got here in a couple days.
Call this number instead of the normal Tesla support - 510-249-2490
It failed due to improper installation. I’m not sure why Tesla is replacing those.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It failed due to improper installation. I’m not sure why Tesla is replacing those.
Because they told me that the connectors they use are a bad design and it is a problem with how the connectors actually function. They just are not good use for this tight of an installation due to their flaw of allowing stray strands unless lined up perfectly with how the clamp tightens.
I love the arrogance of your comment though and implying that the installation was faulty and not the device. Keep riding your high horse.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Because they told me that the connectors they use are a bad design and it is a problem with how the connectors actually function. They just are not good use for this tight of an installation due to their flaw of allowing stray strands unless lined up perfectly with how the clamp tightens.
I love the arrogance of your comment though and implying that the installation was faulty and not the device. Keep riding your high horse.
My intention was not to be arrogant but I stand by the fact the installation was faulty and not the device. The connectors do not spontaneously melt if installed correctly. I concede that they are difficult to get right due to the tight installation and stiffness of low gauge wire. That said, a poor design does not mean the device is faulty and due to the high current and voltage, a fire risk, you want to make sure everything is lined up perfectly and tightened down.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The issue is that there is no way to 100% confirm that everything is in the perfect position due to the tight spaces. Poor design does mean that the device is at fault. You can’t blame the installer if the design doesn’t allow for full proper inspection. And to top it off this was a bottom installation so the wires were coming straight up and didn’t have to curl from the rear.
Also, my intent of my original post regarding the blow out was to provide an experience with Tesla Home Charging Support and how it was very different than Tesla Auto Support.