Tesla Pickup game changing feature

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Elon had mentioned that the Tesla Pickup will have a game changing feature. Care to guess what it is?

My guess would be a retractable truck bed such that the pickup transforms between Deckard’s Sedan mode and truck mode.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you follow Rivian, I think they are doing an amazing job at innovating Elon-like ideas.

This week they just announced that one truck can pass charge off to another, so useful for those long off-road adventures.
Love their pull-out camp kitchen too.

DanSz

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I think the Rivian also has a built-in inverter to make AC POWER while out camping and such.

I don’t really see anything needing to be “game changing” to capture the truck market. Many truck owners just drive them as daily drivers because they like the truckness.

Game changing would be super-low operation costs and the performance of a sports car. I know a lot of truck owners who spend $300-450 per month on gasoline or diesel because they drive so far. Levelize those costs through efficiency of an electric and you have a game-changer!

Last edited:

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tri-motor design, can go 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, or you can use that power and torque to tow a fully loaded 18 wheeler!

Air suspension design will let you lift the truck to extreme heights for off-road and towing needs.

MarkB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you follow Rivian, I think they are doing an amazing job at innovating Elon-like ideas.

This week they just announced that one truck can pass charge off to another, so useful for those long off-road adventures.
Love their pull-out camp kitchen too.
Sono Motors announced V2V charging a couple of years ago for the Sion:
https://sonomotors.com/en/sion/

I'd like to have that it my back pocket as a feature I hope to never need.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Can someone confirm whether Elon Musk stated that the game changing feature would come standard?

That in itself is a game changer.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A Toyota Tacoma and Ford F150 sized complete and total replacement trucks would be nice, doesn't have to fly to the moon or anything - to have less ICE versions of those 2 around would be great. There's a Tacoma in our household I'd love to say byebye to.. that would be killer enough for me.

GeoJohn23

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Something really "game changing" in my mind would be (if it is possible to do) that each wheel has its own in-wheel motor (that is no cross-body axle between the wheels) so that the whole body could be lowered down to the ground when parked so that the tailgate can be used as a slight ramp up into the bed, it can be raised to "normal" height when driving normally, and can be raised to a very high clearance level (which could be very high and pretty wide if there was no need for a wheel-to-wheel axle) for low-speed, off-road, type conditions. How awesome would this be? True 4 wheel drive, best-in-class off-road clearance, no- to very low load height ability, and normal height in normal situations...

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Something really "game changing" in my mind would be (if it is possible to do) that each wheel has its own in-wheel motor (that is no cross-body axle between the wheels) so that the whole body could be lowered down to the ground when parked so that the tailgate can be used as a slight ramp up into the bed, it can be raised to "normal" height when driving normally, and can be raised to a very high clearance level (which could be very high and pretty wide if there was no need for a wheel-to-wheel axle) for low-speed, off-road, type conditions. How awesome would this be? True 4 wheel drive, best-in-class off-road clearance, no- to very low load height ability, and normal height in normal situations...
Very believable and makes sense if there’s no axle in the way, especially now that we know that the Roadster will have 2 motors in the rear and possibly the refreshed S & X as well. I could picture at least having an elevating ramp down the middle that is narrower than the full width of the truck bed and sandwiched in between the motors.

Also, the motors can be relocated away from the rear wheels in order to make room for the entire truck bed to lower/elevate.