Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Tesla Owners Online videos

158K views 785 replies 93 participants last post by  TrevP 
#1 ·
Hi folks. Wow, my video about the Model 3 details has taken on a life of it's own and I didn't expect that. I guess that's the power of social media :)

Let me know if you have any ideas of what I can cover in terms of questions and I'll do my best to answer them for you in a burst of short video blogs.

Thanks
Trev

#3 · (Edited)
#10 ·
Very helpful videos, Trev, thank you! How do we find your YouTube channel (to subscribe)?

Also, any advice welcome on how best to configure 240V recharging plug in garage. Am getting power put into garage (separate from house) shortly to power new garage doors and want to include set up for our 3/31 reserved M3. (Planning ahead).

#12 ·
Best recommendation is to get at least a NEMA14-50 plug installed. That's 240Volt @ 50AMPs. This way you can use the mobile connector that comes with the car and get level 2 charging. If you opt for Tesla's HPWC (High powered wall connector) which is hard-wired you can keep the mobile connector in the car. The HPWC has the ability to accept 80AMs which is useful for cars with dual chargers like Model S (optional) or a Model X with the optional 72 AMP charger. We don't know what Model 3 will come with but it will be level 2 capable at the very least.

I would suspect they would offer the same single 72AMP charger option as Model X since it's cheaper than the older dual charger system on the Model S. Progress is a wonderful thing ;)

#26 ·
Great info! Thank you. Do you think they will be using the 26650 then in the M3? And do you think they will be made in the Gigafactory by then?

#28 ·
#34 ·
HA! I said the same thing when I told my wife that! (she's tired of talk of the M≡ already:rolleyes:)

Now just to be clear, per the TM site, the Three-position dynamic LED turning lights are part of the Premium Upgrades Package.
So they are not standard. I am sure they will have a similar package for the M≡

#36 ·
So with the new 72 amp charger in the S and X, that should provide 15.8kw charging. That is smokin' compared to my Leaf at 6.6kw.
As I think about this I am at a Chademo and it started pushing 49kw. Was wondering what the superchargers put out? Does anybody know that answer?

#37 ·
The key to the Superchargers is they use DC direct, not AC so they charge much, much faster. It would also imply to me they bypass the charger in the car. The Tesla comment in the charger upgrade "Charge rates when connected to . . . Tesla Superchargers will be unaffected" . . . so if you will only use Superchargers for long distance you really don't need this upgrade as home charging should be every night and therefore in almost all cases only an overnight top off needed.

#38 ·
Oh yes. I was just trying to make the comparison. The S is like 2.5x faster on AC than my Leaf if you are at full capacity. And Chademo seems to max at close to 50kw direct to the battery. (I have an app that measures the inputs). Just curious how much faster the SC are vs the Chademo.

#41 ·
OK, so using some 300W/mi that the S can get. 340mi/hr of charge X 300W/mi = 102kW.
So that is twice is fast as using Chademo. Not bad!

#44 ·
I must also agree! Thank you for doing all this work. Additionally, what I great idea for the Model 3 store as well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.