Tesla Owners Online Podcast

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the heads up, it’s been fixed. Guess you saw some behind the scenes stuff ;)

Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Mad Hungarian, luckily my damage didn't go quite that high up.
It was hard to photograph too, but both sides were split down the middle where there's a metal ridge beneath.

Mine split too.
Unfortunately I think that's going to be a common occurrence whenever these panels come into contact with something due to the way that knife-edge body seam is sitting right under the center of them like a permanent Sword Of Damocles :(.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Mad Hungarian, as much as it makes me cringe that this happened to your car it makes me feel better about my rocker panel damage as well! Just know you are not alone :) Practically the same thing occurred to me a few months ago accept it happened while was was turning into my driveway of all places!!! Argh! I had been driving the neighborhood looking for my dog that escaped and wasn't paying enough attention and turned in too sharp and clipped the curb on the side of my driveway. I thought the world was going to end! HA! Anyway, I am also glad to see how easy and quick it was for your friend to fix and that any body shop should be able to do it. The Tesla certified shop that I had look at it wanted $4500! It was an online quote however since the closet certified shop is 250 miles away but it still seemed excessive. They said they needed to unhook the battery and take off the bumper and all get out which would take something ridiculous like 20+ hrs. Maybe they still do but I am skeptical and still have not had it fixed. It is killing me. Glad to see your car all fixed back up so quickly. Wish i had the right friends. :)
IMG_6574 (1).JPG

Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Mad Hungarian, as much as it makes me cringe that this happened to your car it makes me feel better about my rocker panel damage as well! Just know you are not alone :) Practically the same thing occurred to me a few months ago accept it happened while was was turning into my driveway of all places!!! Argh! I had been driving the neighborhood looking for my dog that escaped and wasn't paying enough attention and turned in too sharp and clipped the curb on the side of my driveway. I thought the world was going to end! HA! Anyway, I am also glad to see how easy and quick it was for your friend to fix and that any body shop should be able to do it. The Tesla certified shop that I had look at it wanted $4500! It was an online quote however since the closet certified shop is 250 miles away but it still seemed excessive. They said they needed to unhook the battery and take off the bumper and all get out which would take something ridiculous like 20+ hrs. Maybe they still do but I am skeptical and still have not had it fixed. It is killing me. Glad to see your car all fixed back up so quickly. Wish i had the right friends. :)
View attachment 27759
Ouch... As a former president once said "I feel your pain!"
Yeah, $4500 to fix that is completely insane. There's no way it should be even close to that. Being that this panel is steel any reputable body shop should be able to repair it easily and properly. The only caveat is if they want to tack weld pins to the surface to pull the dent, as this is originally what my friend Tim wanted to do but quickly realized he'd have to disconnect the high voltage battery supply and wasn't keen on it. But because my dent was so close to the fender edge he was easily able to get enough leverage with his tools through the rubber-plugged access hole behind the fender liner and just push it out. Not sure if that would work in your case as it's somewhat further down. I'd still visit a few local shops to see what they say.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Insane is an understatement! But after talking to the shop and realizing that they wanted to disconnect the entire car practically fix the damage it made a bit more sense I guess. Anyway, I was curious about looking for an access plug like they used to fix your car and low and behold almost directly below the damage and hiding under the plastic trim piece of the rocker panel is a 1-1/2inch access point which I think should allow for tools to pop out the damage. I am going to take it in soon and get a second opinion. Keep doing the awesome Podcasts! You guys are great.