Tesla offers snow chains & winter wheel/tires for the Model 3

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
for an extra $1700-$2500 I'm sure they would have a set ready at the service center for you ;)
:D
I'll probably give Tesla a call right after I configure, just to see if there's a possibility.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Those Tesla winter wheel/tire packages are really competitively priced ($1700 18's / $2500 19's) IMO considering they come with OEM fitment, a set of sensors AND install included. Look no further RWD Model 3 owners and reservation holders. :sunglasses:

Mark C

Country
Country
:D
I'll probably give Tesla a call right after I configure, just to see if there's a possibility.
Ew! Ew!, I wanna' know what they say when you ask.

I'd like my UWC, er...Pinwheels to be wrapped in winter tires from the factory. I'll buy a set of nice looking aftermarket wheels and put all-season tires on it for the bulk of the year.

If not, I'll just drive my Prius on the really lousy weather days.

NJturtlePower

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also important to this discussion is the type of winter driving conditions and frequency of conditions experienced.

Do you need winter tires or chains? :confused: See the quick Tire Rack article below to understand the pro's and con's of both.

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/wher...d/snow-chains-or-snow-tires-which-do-you-need

For MOST I think true winter tires will be most beneficial and will likely perform better than even a AWD 3 with OEM all-seasons. ;)

Winter-Tires.jpg

Last edited:

RogerG

Country
Country
I love Nokian winter tires so for my Model S I bought a set of OEM Take off wheels from a tire dealer on eBay, shipped from LA to NJ with a set of Michelin all season radials for less than $2,000 for all 4. Then had Nokian's mounted and saved the Michelins (said less than 400 miles on them!) for Summer use on the Model S. Will try to do something similar for the Model 3 when it arrives.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don't ask why, but all the excitement over non-owner invitations yesterday (to which I was merely a bystander :rolleyes:) somehow triggered a desire to completely re-evaluate my wheel/tire options. And that led me back to this thread, because, as others have pointed out, Tesla's winter wheel/tire packages for the Model 3 actually seem reasonably priced given that they include shipping, installation and TPMS.

So, this may be completely nutso under the maxim of "don't buy wheel upgrades/packages from Tesla", but I'm now considering this option (B):

Purchase:
(1) Model 3 with 19" sport wheels
(2) Tesla's 18" aero winter wheel/tire package

Spring/summer/fall: 19" sports + stock Contis (replace with Primacy MXM or similar when they wear out)
Winter: 18" aeros + included winter tires (Pirelli SottoZero IIs)

Contrast that with option A (which is still what I am leaning toward at the moment):

Purchase:
(1) Model 3 with 18" aero wheels
(2) TST 18" turbines + TPMS
(3) Winter tires (Michelin X-Ice?)

Spring/summer/fall: 18" TST wheels + stock Primacy MXMs
Winter: 18" aeros + winter tires

One thing that I find interesting about Option B is that it provides the aesthetic upgrade of the 19" sport wheels -- which I prefer slightly to the 18" TSTs -- but the overall difference in price versus Option A (including shipping and installation) is less than the $1500 upgrade price for the 19" wheels alone. (This holds true even if you assume that you'll buy the TST wheels at a 20% discount during one of TSportline's periodic sales.) Obviously, there are other tradeoffs to consider apart from price, but I thought it was interesting that the math worked out this way.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. One more thing to think about during this hurry-up-and-wait period. :)

NJturtlePower

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another wheel option for the 3 are those from EV Wheel Direct in 18'-20' sizes and slightly less expensive than TST.

https://evwheeldirect.com/collections/all

My idea is to order my Model 3 with the standard 18" aeros, then buy the 18" (EV) turbine style, swap the summer tires from the aeros to the turbines and then just get a set of winter tires for the aero wheels as winter approaches. Everything stays the same size, keeps the weight down (range + comfort up) with 18's, upgraded style with the turbines and life is good in all seasons. ;)

Attachments

GTV6

Country
Country
Another option now that winter will be past for most of us non-owners is to buy the second set of 18s" from TireRack's inevitable rim line, once it populates. I have used their aftermarket rims for years and good experiences. They are not all OEM level of finish quality, but perfectly adequate and load's cheaper. Curb rash and potholes are less of a catastrophe. :) I have always found their recommendations trustworthy. The only problem is they don't carry the best snow/ice tires IMHO: Nokians. Furthermore, all of the major manufacturers offer rebates in September/October every year to nudge buyers to decide early before the rush. A bit of savings here and there, and you've begun your Model Y/Pick-up fund already.

NJturtlePower

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did anyone notice that the winter tires for the Model 3 just went up in price? They were originally listed at $1700/$2500 per set (aero/sport), now they are $2000/$3500. Ouch!
Doesn't make much sense this time of year. Full Model 3 take off sets with all-seasons and sensors are going for around $1200 on eBay already, might as well pick up one of those for the tires alone and then just add winters when needed.

MRinPDX

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I realize I am adding to a fairly old thread, but figured better than starting yet another one. I hope those of you who went through the winter tire options last winter can give me suggestions. Winter in Portland, OR is mostly rain and then the unexpected treacherous drive home on afternoon that takes a 20min drive to a 3hr marathon.

I have 19" sport wheels on my Model 3. I have a few options I am considering:

1. Option not considering: get a new set of 19" sport wheels with winter tire package ($3500) from Tesla. Why? price.
2. Get a set of the 18" Aeros with the winter tires ($2000).
3. Get a set of winter tires (eg., PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO) or something similar from TireRack/Costco/Les Shwab etc.
4. Leave my current set as is and get the chains and store in the trunk for those unexpected Portland snow? Probably the cheapest.

I guess my concern is also how well the Continentals that came with the 19" wheels will do in our rain. Will just getting winter tires on my existing 19" sports serve me well? Is there any benefit going to the 18" Aeros with the higher sidewall?

Thank you!

kpedraja

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I realize I am adding to a fairly old thread, but figured better than starting yet another one. I hope those of you who went through the winter tire options last winter can give me suggestions. Winter in Portland, OR is mostly rain and then the unexpected treacherous drive home on afternoon that takes a 20min drive to a 3hr marathon.

I have 19" sport wheels on my Model 3. I have a few options I am considering:

1. Option not considering: get a new set of 19" sport wheels with winter tire package ($3500) from Tesla. Why? price.
2. Get a set of the 18" Aeros with the winter tires ($2000).
3. Get a set of winter tires (eg., PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO) or something similar from TireRack/Costco/Les Shwab etc.
4. Leave my current set as is and get the chains and store in the trunk for those unexpected Portland snow? Probably the cheapest.

I guess my concern is also how well the Continentals that came with the 19" wheels will do in our rain. Will just getting winter tires on my existing 19" sports serve me well? Is there any benefit going to the 18" Aeros with the higher sidewall?

Thank you!
Which Contis do you have? I have Extreme Contacts on my Audi A3 AWD and they are great in the rain and OK in limited snow (I've driven up to Whistler with them).

GTV6

Country
Country
Keep in mind that there are two primary reasons to mount winter tires: One is snow/ice and the other is cold temperatures. Most all-weather tires lose performance in temperatures under 45. Winter tires are made of compounds modified for top performance at lower temperatures, not just snow/ice. Accordingly, I have mounted Nokian R3's on my aero wheels already although snow is not in the forecast. Daytime temps are now in the 40's and night time below freezing often where I am. If all this concern with temperature is unfounded, then I have swallowed major tire manufacturer propaganda hook, line and sinker. BTW I find past Nokians (R2's) to perform very well in both wet and dry, in addition to snow. Worth the extra money, though not available through Tire Rack. In my mind, outperform Michelins, Bridgestones, etc which are very good.

MRinPDX

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Which Contis do you have? I have Extreme Contacts on my Audi A3 AWD and they are great in the rain and OK in limited snow (I've driven up to Whistler with them).
They are the Continental ProContacts (rated M+S BTW).