Tesla OEM Carbon Fiber Install Process on non-P AWD White Model 3 (w/pics)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

shimmy

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Picked up an OEM Carbon Fiber spoiler:
shimmy_cf_spoiler_10.png

...and wanted to share my install experience, as I dared to install it on my own, on my white model 3 AWD. There are reports of fitment issues, with the edges specifically. In looking at the back of the spoiler, which uses 3M double stick (it's strong!), and doing a test fitment on the car, there is an excess amount of tape on the outer edges of the spoiler. So, as seen in the attached pics (in white):
shimmy_cf_spoiler_05.png shimmy_cf_spoiler_06.png
I removed the excess tape, to allow for a flush fitment... I also introduced additional 3m double stick tape, where required. That part of the process took a couple hours, using an angled blade and various forms of squeegees.

I also borrowed the tsportline template for their spoiler (all good karma wise since I grabbed their tsportline springs) for alignment purposes... test fitment here
shimmy_cf_spoiler_04.png

and prepped the areas using 70% isopropyl alcohol after a detailed car wash to remove any wax/residue (car is garaged the majority of the time anyway).

A heat gun was used to warm up the tape behind the spoiler before applying
shimmy_cf_spoiler_07.png

the 3m tape is VERY sticky... ensure that you get the correct alignment the first time. Measure twice, cut once as they say... used painters tape to let site overnight

shimmy_cf_spoiler_02.png

Overall, I'm very happy with how it turned out and the way it looks, compared to aftermarket versions, which may not necessarily flow the angles of the trunk... and I prefer sticking with Tesla's matte spoiler look. Hope this helps, cheers.
shimmy_cf_spoiler_01.png shimmy_cf_spoiler_08.png shimmy_cf_spoiler_09.png

Shimmy

Reactions: 4 people

Radeon888

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Very nice. BTW, this guy on YT installed the spoiler purchased from RPM Tesla and went into the Tesla Service center and they updated the digital image of his Model3 to show the spoiler for $17. ;)

Reactions: 1 person

BigBluu

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Very nice. BTW, this guy on YT installed the spoiler purchased from RPM Tesla and went into the Tesla Service center and they updated the digital image of his Model3 to show the spoiler for $17. ;)

Sweet! Wonder if they could update mine to blue to reflect my wrap.

Radeon888

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I actually ordered this as well for my SR+ for two reasons, obviously style but also because evertime I close the trunk I leave ugly sticky fingerprint marks on the trunk lid. I installed those modified struts so it takes a bit more Hand force to close the lid.

shimmy

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Another pic, from the side, so it can be seen how the trunk flows with the top of the spoiler... the corners are holding up well :grin:
spoiler_side.png

Reactions: 3 people

AZ_M3

Country
Country
Beautiful. Still hating myself for passing up a white LR RWD with this spoiler installed on it. Ended up with an LR AWD so it's technically faster, just doesn't look as fast :p

Radeon888

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
How does one go about ordering one?

RPM Tesla has an exact replica spoiler in flat or glossy carbon, however I ordered mine on May 8th and it hasn’t been shipped yet. Hoping it gets shipped this week.

Last edited:

Radeon888

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Update about RPM Tesla about my glossy CF spoiler ordered May 8th. Got an email from them yesterday that I'm looking at another 6 weeks so they asked me if I wanted to cancel so I did. Props to them for giving me an immediate refund.

ElectrekPanda

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Picked up an OEM Carbon Fiber spoiler:
View attachment 25957

...and wanted to share my install experience, as I dared to install it on my own, on my white model 3 AWD. There are reports of fitment issues, with the edges specifically. In looking at the back of the spoiler, which uses 3M double stick (it's strong!), and doing a test fitment on the car, there is an excess amount of tape on the outer edges of the spoiler. So, as seen in the attached pics (in white):
View attachment 25958 View attachment 25959
I removed the excess tape, to allow for a flush fitment... I also introduced additional 3m double stick tape, where required. That part of the process took a couple hours, using an angled blade and various forms of squeegees.

I also borrowed the tsportline template for their spoiler (all good karma wise since I grabbed their tsportline springs) for alignment purposes... test fitment here
View attachment 25960

and prepped the areas using 70% isopropyl alcohol after a detailed car wash to remove any wax/residue (car is garaged the majority of the time anyway).

A heat gun was used to warm up the tape behind the spoiler before applying
View attachment 25963

the 3m tape is VERY sticky... ensure that you get the correct alignment the first time. Measure twice, cut once as they say... used painters tape to let site overnight

View attachment 25962

Overall, I'm very happy with how it turned out and the way it looks, compared to aftermarket versions, which may not necessarily flow the angles of the trunk... and I prefer sticking with Tesla's matte spoiler look. Hope this helps, cheers.
View attachment 25961 View attachment 25964 View attachment 25965

Shimmy

Where did you buy yours?

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Update about RPM Tesla about my glossy CF spoiler ordered May 8th. Got an email from them yesterday that I'm looking at another 6 weeks so they asked me if I wanted to cancel so I did. Props to them for giving me an immediate refund.

Ordered mine 5/26 and I'm going to wait it out now that I did the mirrors, side turn signals, door handles, charge port and rear strip :cool:

No email from RPM Tesla yet either.....

TwoK4drSi

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’m about to grab mine from someone online...so @njturtlepower you’re saying the reason why edges are lifting is because there’s too much tape? Not necessarily production issues? So all you did was trim down the tape?

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.