Tesla Model 3 SR+ charging

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks,

The reason I asked is someone over at "Motors Club" (?) posted an image claiming the SR+ Model 3 has a peak charging rate of 170 kW with the next release. I didn't see that in the first post. So I'm left wondering.

Bob Wilson

MOD EDIT - this post and the next 10 moved from a software thread. This thread speaks of SR+ charging. Merging over here.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe peak charging rate for Model 3 is in fact 250 kw when using third generation superchargers.

Link: https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/6/18253618/tesla-supercharger-250kw-v3-specs-location
The larger battery Model 3, certainly the long range and performance versions support 250 kW. But I have a Standard Range Plus Model 3 that is still limited to 100 kW. If we could get (50 kWh/75 kWh) * 250 kW ~= 166 kW (~750 mi/hr), that would be great!

I suspect the midrange Model 3 owners are also interested in a faster Supercharger rate although they may have something above 100 kW already.

Bob Wilson

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The larger battery Model 3, certainly the long range and performance versions support 250 kW. But I have a Standard Range Plus Model 3 that is still limited to 100 kW. If we could get (50 kWh/75 kWh) * 250 kW ~= 166 kW (~750 mi/hr), that would be great!

I suspect the midrange Model 3 owners are also interested in a faster Supercharger rate although they may have something above 100 kW already.

Bob Wilson
Where did you read that standard range Model 3 have a lower peak charge? The hardware and the battery chemistry being the same, Tesla would need to lower charging rate through software. The 250 kw superchargers are not widely available, certainly not in my area. I do get 145 kw peak charging on the road.

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I measured my Standard Range Plus Model 3 at the Athens Alabama Supercharger:
View attachment 30338
Now that the V2 Superchargers go up to 150 kW, it would be great if our SR+ Model 3 could get a faster charging rate.

Bob Wilson
I just contacted my local Tesla store and asked about this and they double-checked and confirmed that all Model 3 have the same charging rate regardless of the battery size. Maybe there is something wrong with your car or the supercharger.

FrancoisP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think I understand where the difference is. Obviously if you have less cells in a battery you will draw less power from the supercharger to charge the battery, however the peak power that goes into each individual cell is the same regardless of the size of the battery itself. Considering that Tesla claims we will be able to charge at 250 kwh in the future, it should be possible to use the full 150 kwh to charge the smaller battery and they would charge faster than the long range batteries.

Last edited:

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Bringing the SR+ Model 3 charge rate up proportional to the relative battery size should shorten the SR+ Model 3 time at a Supercharger. The ratio should be ~50 kWh / ~75 kWh of the tested peak long range rate, 250 kW which is Supercharger limited. When you do the maths, the SR+ Model 3 should be 250 kW * ( 50 kWh / 75 kWh) ~= 167 kW BUT it could be higher.

The 250 kW is the known limit of the V3 Superchargers which could be less than what the long range Model 3s can actually handle. Our local V2 Superchargers are limited to 150 kW, my limit. Regardless, everything depends on getting a new firmware release that has a better charging curve for the SR+ Model 3.

Today it takes just under 25 minutes to reach 60 kW, the charging tier boundary. Back of envelope, a we might see as quick as 16 minutes to reach 60 kW and 120 mi range to the next Supercharger. Since the Supercharger stall can be freed faster, this improves Supercharger availability by ~1/3d. So a 9 stall Supercharger station will effectively increase to 12.

Bob Wilson

SimonMatthews

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

GaryW

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Where did you read that standard range Model 3 have a lower peak charge? The hardware and the battery chemistry being the same, Tesla would need to lower charging rate through software. The 250 kw superchargers are not widely available, certainly not in my area. I do get 145 kw peak charging on the road.
It's listed on the website I believe on the model 3 page where you compare models here: https://www.tesla.com/model3

Once you click on SR it clearly says 100KW max. I'm assuming it's SW limited as a means for people to upgrade to better models.

Last edited:

ibgeek

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's listed on the website I believe on the model 3 page where you compare models here: https://www.tesla.com/model3

Once you click on SR it clearly says 100KW max. I'm assuming it's SW limited as a means for people to upgrade to better models.
I was not aware of this... :| Not that I've ever felt that I've ever waited too long at a super charger before. But interesting bit of info.

1572917713390-png.30355

StromTrooperM3

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Where did you read that standard range Model 3 have a lower peak charge?

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-standard-range-plus-supercharging-rate-170-kw/

Honestly I think it's a huge disservice to Tesla to have have misinformed staff. When I test drove my model 3 I was told it had biohazard mode and air suspension. I took the drive with a new associate as well as their manager who thankfully corrected him.

It's even more of a disappointment that a recent call to the service center resulted in them saying all the cars charge the same rate. I think they do a really poor job with differentiating the features you get from the SR to the LR. I just looked at the mobile site again and yes the charge rate is burried in there but to a non owner that's easily overlooked I'm sure.

However I did notice that under compare there are now 19" aeros?
screenshot_20191104-234804_chrome-jpg.30358

Last edited: