Tesla Mobile Connector Dropped to $300

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I've said it before, and I know some disagree, but I really think that the Tesla mobile connector is sufficient for home charging for 99% of us. Unless you're a delivery driver, a 220V outlet and a mobile connector is probably enough to get you fully charged by the time you wake up the next morning every night. I have used the mobile connector for 2 years, drive 40-120 miles per day, and have never needed the Tesla wall connector. In fact, I'm usually fully charged by 8:00 pm, or 12:00 am at the absolute latest. Now, with a price drop to $300, I may even buy a second connector so that I always have one in my car and one at home, and don't have to worry about disconnecting it and taking it with me on road trips.

https://electrek.co/2017/12/15/tesla-cheaper-next-gen-mobile-connector-model-3-s-x/

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I couldn’t agree with you more. My daily commute is 75 miles and with the UMC I’ll charge at ~30 miles per hour so my basic day will see the car charge in 2.5 hours. With extended driving still plenty of cushion.

Jakesthree

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Did anyone notice that the new mobile connector kit no longer includes a J1772 adapter? In fact I can't find any trace of the J1772 adapter on the Tesla site.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
The new Gen 2 Mobile Connector doesn't have a J1772 adapter.
On the Canadian Tesla shop there is no longer an original UMC nor is there a J1772 connector: https://shop.tesla.com/ca/en/catego....car.accessories.model.s.ms.charging.adapters

Weird!
The gen 1 doesn't either:

upload_2017-12-15_11-19-12-png.4430

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/produc...corded-mobile-connector.html?sku=1106293-00-A

They're two different things. The mobile connector goes from a plug to your car, the J1772 connector coverts a standard public connector to your car.

I don't know why Tesla's Canada website doesn't have one. Could be that they're just updating. I'm sure if you called or emailed your local service center, they could get you one, but I'm 99% sure one comes with the car, so don't know why you'd need one.

Jakesthree

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I guess I'm mistaken. I thought that the UMC in the shop was exactly the same as the UMC that comes with the car (including a 20ft. cord, 5-15 adapter, 14-50 adapter and J1772 adapter).

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Almost worth buying a second one but I think my priority will be a CHAdeMO adapter as a safety net

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Jakesthree

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
My issue with not having a J1772 as part of the online shop UMC kit is as follows. Those who buy a second UMC must be leaving one at home and one in the car and you would certainly need the J1772 adapter in the car. This is fine if you have a Tesla Wall Mount or a 14-50 outlet at home but what if you have any other EVSE at home? You would need a second J1772 adapter. Hopefully the Canadian Tesla shop is just being updated and the adapter will reappear.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Almost worth buying a second one but I think my priority will be a CHAdeMO adapter as a safety net
I’m hard pressed to find a need for a second UMC unless you travel frequently and stay at places with outlets / not chargers.

I feel like on my travel I won’t take anything besides the J1772 adapter.

Yanquetino

For most owners, the new UMC will suffice for home charging, no question. In my case, I'll probably install an HPWC anyway, to replace the EVSE already mounted in my garage. That circuit is on a 50A breaker, so the HPWC could charge an 40A instead of the UMC's 32A.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My issue with not having a J1772 as part of the online shop UMC kit is as follows. Those who buy a second UMC must be leaving one at home and one in the car and you would certainly need the J1772 adapter in the car. This is fine if you have a Tesla Wall Mount or a 14-50 outlet at home but what if you have any other EVSE at home? You would need a second J1772 adapter. Hopefully the Canadian Tesla shop is just being updated and the adapter will reappear.
The J1772 adapter would stay with the car so wouldn't you just use that one? Or are you thinking of the convenience of just leaving the adapter on the connector?

Jakesthree

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
If the idea is to leave the adapter in the car and use it both at home and on the road, then why does the UMC kit come with the other 2 adapters? Wouldn't the same logic apply?
BTW, these are just hypothetical questions for me. I'm planning to get a Tesla Wall Mount if I get the Model 3 because I don't like the idea of plugging and unplugging adapters every day. I'd be worried that they would wear out.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm planning to get a Tesla Wall Mount if I get the Model 3 because I don't like the idea of plugging and unplugging adapters every day. I'd be worried that they would wear out.
i do think most people planning on using the included UMC will leave it pugged into the wall outlet, unless leaving on a road trip, then unplug it and take it along.

also, most household 14-50 outlets are intended for appliance use and not designed to have something plugged in and removed daily. IF that is what you plan to do, you will want to have a heavier duty outlet installed that will hold up to that type of use.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If the idea is to leave the adapter in the car and use it both at home and on the road, then why does the UMC kit come with the other 2 adapters? Wouldn't the same logic apply?
BTW, these are just hypothetical questions for me. I'm planning to get a Tesla Wall Mount if I get the Model 3 because I don't like the idea of plugging and unplugging adapters every day. I'd be worried that they would wear out.
I plan on permanently leaving the UMC plugged in and on road trips taking the J1772 adapter.

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm having a 14-50 installed and WAS going to pigtail a HPWC to it. I don't own my home and hardwiring doesn't make much sense because of that.

The reason I was going to get an HPWC is that I'm 10000% sure I would go on a trip at some point and forget the UMC and not realize until it's too late at least once (my gf's family doesn't live particularly close to a supercharger and even plugshare says the area isn't great for charging… but her dad has a 14-50 in the garage!) so with the HPWC and the mobile connector being the same price before I didn't see why I'd get the mobile connector. But now, with the price drop, it's a bit different.

My main concern at this point is that the 20 foot cable might be too short, but I *THINK* it'll work and I'll know for sure this week when I do a placeholder run with a 25 foot extension cable and see how much slack is left.

My secondary concern is charging time. Here in California our electricity costs are pretty gnarly so I have to use off-peak times from 11pm to 7am for charging. I cannot fully recharge the car in that time BUT it's pretty unlikely I'd need to. Even if I'm coming back from a road trip and I get in late, I'd only need to be able to get to work and back the next day.

edited: clarity.

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm having a 14-50 installed and WAS going to pigtail a HPWC to it. I don't own my home and hardwiring doesn't make much sense because of that.

The reason I was going to get an HPWC is that I'm 10000% sure I would go on a trip at some point and forget the UMC and not realize until it's too late at least once (my gf's family doesn't live particularly close to a supercharger and even plugshare says the area isn't great for charging… but her dad has a 14-50 in the garage!) so with the HPWC and the mobile connector being the same price I didn't see why I'd get the mobile connector. But now it's a bit different.

My main concern at this point is that the 20 foot cable might be too short, but I *THINK* it'll work and I'll know for sure this week when I do a placeholder run with a 25 foot extension cable and see how much slack is left.

My secondary concern is charging time. Here in California our electricity costs are pretty gnarly so I have to use off-peak times from 11pm to 7am for charging. I cannot fully recharge the car in that time BUT it's pretty unlikely I'd need to. Even if I'm coming back from a road trip and I get in late, I'd only need to be able to get to work and back the next day.
I don’t want to deter you from getting what you want, but just note the UMC that comes with the car supports you 99% of the time. You probably won’t see return on investment on a second UMC or the HPWC.

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t want to deter you from getting what you want, but just note the UMC that comes with the car supports you 99% of the time. You probably won’t see return on investment on a second UMC or the HPWC.
If I use the UMC *one time* when I travel it's worth buying a second one or an HPWC as far as I'm concerned. I'm huge on convenience and having to remember to bring it with me instead of just leaving it in the car is inconvenient. In the grand scheme of things, $300-500 over the course of the time I own a Tesla is a fart in a gale.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If I use the UMC *one time* when I travel it's worth buying a second one or an HPWC as far as I'm concerned. I'm huge on convenience and having to remember to bring it with me instead of just leaving it in the car is inconvenient. In the grand scheme of things, $300-500 over the course of the time I own a Tesla is a fart in a gale.
That’s an expensive single use, but I get what you’re saying.