Tesla Issued Insurance

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

RickO2018

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Don't waist your time with Hartford Insurance. AARP has been trying to promote good insurance deals for AARP members through Hartford. I gave it a try to see how my current rate with State Farm compares and found that The Hartford won't even insure TESLAs claiming they are "...more susceptible to damage or are more expensive to repair..." Bit short sighted on their part since its occupant safety stats makes it one of the safest vehicles on the road and they are missing a great business opportunity. Also tried Progressive who had no problem writing a Policy but I found it would only be about $50 less every six months than State Farm. Not worth changing and giving up a lifelong relationship with State Farm.

Attachments

Last edited:

GRiMm-V-

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So I logged into my Tesla account today and I see under Shop. the usual accessories and charging links, but also a new link "Tesla Insurance" Says available only in California. Has anyone else seen/tested this out?

EDIT: Seems they publicly announced it a few minutes ago as well. https://www.tesla.com/blog/introducing-tesla-insurance

Attachments

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yeah. I saw it, and filled out a quote etc.

I it's more expensive for me. Just their quote for the model 3 alone is $50 more a month ($300 every 6 months) then to cover my model 3 and my wife's 2018 prius prime.
I thought maybe it's because I drive 25k a year, but that only changed the price by $25 a month when I dropped it to 10k a year.
But it is always good to have more data / options.

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Does it include any benefits such as priority Tesla repair or Tesla loaner vehicles or is it just rebranded typical car insurance? With Tesla does purchasing FSD raise or lower your premium? I know with Liberty Mutual they ask if I had autopilot which raised the premium.

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Does it include any benefits such as priority Tesla repair or Tesla loaner vehicles or is it just rebranded typical car insurance? With Tesla does purchasing FSD raise or lower your premium? I know with Liberty Mutual they ask if I had autopilot which raised the premium.
I have liberty as well and they never asked for autopilot

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I was excited to see this, sad to see it is California only.
Been watching the reddit thread, seems like it is more expensive for everyone.
Seems a lot like the Tesla-branded Liberty Mutual insurance they were doing before, which is always super expensive.

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have liberty as well and they never asked for autopilot
I have two model 3s. They have asked about auto pilot on both during the typical options questions like does it have 4 wheel drive. Many of the questions seemed to be for gas cars and did not apply. I could not do it on there website because Tesla is late in uploading VIN number, according to the agent I spoke with. Since the Vin did not work on the website I had to call. I did feel like it was the first EV they ever insured and this was just last month when I had one insured with them for 8 months. My personal experience is they don't stand beside you like the commercial says. I would jump to something other than Liberty. I am very hopeful for Tesla insurance, but rebranded Liberty Mutual is not that exciting.

harrison987

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hey everyone...

i match everything I was getting with Progressive on the Tesla side... And was quoted $400 a year less then what I'm paying now... 🤗 With slightly better coverage.

I was with Progressive for about 10 years... But with cost of pretty much everything increasing... I've been trying to find ways to save.

I was getting every discount Progressive could offer... Which were pretty standard discounts that any other car company would give me. on the Tesla side they basically gave the same discounts... But there were additional discounts for having autopilot... and something else Tesla specific that I can't recall right now.

The underwriter ( if I recall correctly) is State National insurance... A company I was not really familiar with. They appeared to be rated about the same as Progressive.

signing up on the website was pretty easy... But I noticed that right after signing up, some choices showed up on my policy that I didn't even get to choose during sign-up process. So probably a bug there.

When I reached out to customer service... I got the same rep on both phone calls who seem to be fairly new and didn't know much about the insurance that they were selling.:rolleyes:

I would have preferred an experience rep...but in the end everything seemed to work out... And saving $400 a year at this time is a big deal

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I adjusted the default coverage to more closely match my existing CSAA policy and Tesla's quote is about 20% less. I always pay off my insurance policy in full to avoid monthly installment fees. However, Tesla's quote only shows the monthly premium, so I wonder if that amount includes an installment fee? If so, would my savings be even greater if I could pay off Tesla's premium in full for the year? Do they even offer that as a payment option?

PaulT

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Is there a windshield replacement option? Living in Colorado with sand on roads, pits windshields about every couple years. With Geico we just have a lower comprehensive deductible, but I believe some insurance companies offer specific windshield coverage which is cheaper than lowering the comprehensive deductible.

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Is there a windshield replacement option? Living in Colorado with sand on roads, pits windshields about every couple years. With Geico we just have a lower comprehensive deductible, but I believe some insurance companies offer specific windshield coverage which is cheaper than lowering the comprehensive deductible.
I don't see a specific line item for that, so I assume the answer is no? My CSAA policy lists a glass replacement item, although I'm not paying for that coverage.

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I adjusted the default coverage to more closely match my existing CSAA policy and Tesla's quote is about 20% less. I always pay off my insurance policy in full to avoid monthly installment fees. However, Tesla's quote only shows the monthly premium, so I wonder if that amount includes an installment fee? If so, would my savings be even greater if I could pay off Tesla's premium in full for the year? Do they even offer that as a payment option?
OK, I just noticed the info link next to the monthly premium amount, clicked it and it says, "Your monthly cost has no hidden fees or charges." Nice. Also, the policy length is 6 months.

Last edited:

SAronian

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My first quote from Tesla Insurance was 46% more than I currently pay, second quote was 33% less than my current insurance. However the coverage for the first quote was significantly greater.

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Tesla should give a discount for FSD. It would show they believe in their product and give a people another reason to upgrade. I feel it would get them down the path of "you don't have FSD, well that will cost you"