Tesla is moving to more of an inventory sales approach for Model 3

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
My source who has been quite reliable so far just relayed some news that will be sure to upset some people.

What I was told is that Tesla will be moving to more of an inventory sales approach with Model 3. This process has already started with Model S where Tesla is getting more and more incentivised for the owner advisors each quarter to hit their goals and to push more inventory cars that are prebuilt by Tesla.

This does not mean that you won't be able to custom configure your Model 3, only that doing so will take longer and prebuilt configs will generally take priority. This is also related to streamlining production and helping to increase the speed of the production ramp.

We shall see if this indeed happens but I'm told this change is already happening at Tesla stores and at corporate.

Bobby Garrity

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Doesn't surprise me given the larger volume of the 3 and their priority of getting it out as fast as possible. But if I can still config my own for no extra cost (besides time), then I have nothing to complain about.

Country
Country
I think this ends up being the smartest way to go in the long run. If I can get something that is similarly spec'd to what I want and save a little, great. If it costs me a little more and has something I wasn't dying to have, great. If I can just customize and wait a little longer, great.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the S/X started showing inventory models available that are similar to options selected, so reasonable that they would do something similar with the 3. Still think it would be based being invited to configure though, so there's that... IIRC the S/X site was not open to configure a new order until they worked thru the reservation holders.

AlexMol

Will a customized Model 3 cost more than a similarly specked inventory Model 3 ?
For example I see a inventory Model 3 with the options I want but in a different color, will I pay more to get the different color?

Country
Country
the S/X started showing inventory models available that are similar to options selected, so reasonable that they would do something similar with the 3.
Agreed. After going through the Tesla ordering screen this week, I noticed that the right margin dynamically displayed inventory cars available that had similar configurations to my selected options. Inventory sales is already happening.

JBsC6

Country
Country
I prefer to order the car the color and way I want it. I enjoy the usual 7 week anticipation of delivery.

I don't like to compromise on what I want in a car.

If the car was in stock with the color and options I must have...I refuse to pay extra for other options...I don't really want...

I believe creating an inventory model is an error...

Right now it's a boutique item dream for tesla....I believe tesla converting would cause pricing capability to drop.

I guess the impending competition in battery electric cars will make sense...

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Will a customized Model 3 cost more than a similarly specked inventory Model 3 ?
For example I see a inventory Model 3 with the options I want but in a different color, will I pay more to get the different color?
Bom dia, Alex! Unless T≡SLA starts to discount inventory cars, which I consider highly unlikely, I don't see why your customized one with the right color would cost more...

Jayc

Country
Country
Streamlining makes some sense but they will have to first figure out the most popular configurations. Even then, cannot see how someone buying a brand new 35k+ car will be happy to be told to pick from pre-selected configurations and colors.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe creating an inventory model is an error...
Look, this isn't a big deal.

As a "boutique" car manufacturer, Tesla could manufacture every vehicle "to order".

But as a mass-market car manufacturer, they're going to have to act a little more like a mass-market car manufacturer. They're simply not going to wait until they have an order before building a car. They want to keep the alien dreadnaught running at full speed (ie efficiently), and they won't necessarily have orders for every car they build.

So I expect - just like any other manufacturer - that you'll still be able to place an order for exactly what you want, then wait several weeks and it will be built and delivered to you. But in the meantime, Tesla is going to churn them out, putting inventory in its showrooms, and then try to sell that inventory to people who'd like to drive home that same day with a new car.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Streamlining makes some sense but they will have to first figure out the most popular configurations.
Every other car manufacturer has figured it out. Tesla will too. If they guess wrong, they just have to drop prices a bit to make the non-sellers more appealling.
Even then, cannot see how someone buying a brand new 35k+ car will be happy to be told to pick from pre-selected configurations and colors.
Are you trying to tell me that nobody goes to, say, a BMW dealer, finds something on the lot that's "close enough" to what they want, and buys & drives it away that very same day?
o_O

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Anyone looked at VW configs lately?? Literally 2 things you can change on the car other than colour. They offer basically 2 trim levels with preset options and maybe a choice of 1 other colour interior.

That's how you make thousands of cars a week.

My video last year where I suggested Tesla would do prebuilt config bundles is looking more and more likely.

The Model 3 program is proving to be a very different direction for Tesla. You'd better get used to it.

JBsC6

Country
Country
Being able to create a boutique buying experience tends to improve customer satisfaction and enables msrp purchases.

I'm sure you guys are right, I believe the current meathodolgy would be more profitable ...

Still with ev s coming from jaguar, Mercedes etc...I assume tesla will become more main stream to compete for each sale including those impulse sales which make up a huge portion of the automobile industry...

Immediate gratification is almost an American Tradition...

sandange

Country
Country
I believe there will always be a percentage of buyers who are not willing, prefer, or cannot wait, & will accept a variation in the options/color, for an inventory vehicle.
The touch, see, drive, then buy candidate.

Have you ever ordered a car with your options/color , waited several week for it to arrive and found out it was not exactly what you ordered.
Very Disappointing
There are so many reservations so why not ask them to configure to evaluate what groups of options/colors would be good for inventory cars.

I say bring on inventory cars for mass produced cars , if not the eventual competition will.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The last new car I bought, I called the sales guy at the dealership and gave him my list of options I was looking for. He came back a day later with about a half dozen cars to choose from that met the option requirements and could have any transferred to his dealership within another day. That's kinda what Tesla is starting to do with their inventory cars.

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Tesla not only has referral contests for owners but they have incentives for sales staff internally. I'm told they're really trying to push inventory as a way to streamline production so they can meet their production and delivery goals which keep increasing every year.

I can't see any other way, knowing this now, that they can really meet objectives with Model 3.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the inventory also gives them somewhere to put the cars ordered and perfectly built, but for whatever reason not delivered (owner backs out, owner changes order after start of production, life (or death) happens, etc)