Tesla Insurance in Canada

asad04

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Sonnet's quoting me $179/month which is expensive. Then again, I live in Brampton, Ontario which has the highest insurance premiums in Canada. Is there someone else from Brampton who's got a better quote? Please let me know. Thank you.

That was my original quote using their online system. When I called in, and ended up purchasing, my payment became $211.60/month for the Model 3 and a 2013 Sonata GL.

cain04

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Meloche Monnex still does not have Model 3 in their system as of yesterday. I've called 3 times since configuring and nothing. The person I spoke with yesterday was very nice and ran through a Model S and Model X to give me some idea. Looks like it will be cheaper than my 2005 Lexus unless they have some abnormally high premiums for it. If that's the case, I'll be shopping around. The cheapest "comparable" Model S quote was 110 a month for me.

Umesh khare

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Meloche Monnex still does not have Model 3 in their system as of yesterday. I've called 3 times since configuring and nothing. The person I spoke with yesterday was very nice and ran through a Model S and Model X to give me some idea. Looks like it will be cheaper than my 2005 Lexus unless they have some abnormally high premiums for it. If that's the case, I'll be shopping around. The cheapest "comparable" Model S quote was 110 a month for me.
I also got from TD meloche Monnex... got single car $133 ... The broker told me she submitted tesla model 3 to insurer board and will be done by end of may in there system .I already purchased insurance from TD auto and home both plus employer discount.....as well $1605 for tesla model 3

Duliban Insurance Brokers

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Does anyone know if Tesla's own insurance will be available in Canada or if there are third party insurances available in Ontario?
Hi Jaclin,

Tesla has partnered with Aviva Canada to offer insurance to Tesla owners, some brokers have the Model 3 in their quoting systems and can provide a price. When asking around make sure to ask if the automatic braking discount is applied as this can save you up to 15%. We have created a unique group insurance plan for electric vehicle owners in Ontario to offer special discounts of up to 35%.

There are a lot of factors that go into the pricing of auto insurance so it will be different for everyone, some major factors include where you live, age, years of driving experience and driving history (accidents or tickets).

MrPlough

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
So I am with state farm and I pay 200 for my 2015 Nissan Rogue.

I inquired about the Model 3 Long Range and its 245 a month ($64k Car) -_-

To compare I inquired what a 2018 honda accord 1.5 Touring is and its 230 (35k car)

I am over 30, male with 0 traffic infractions... is this normal..

Last edited:

Duliban Insurance Brokers

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
So I am with state farm and I pay 200 for my 2015 Nissan Rogue.

I inquired about the Model 3 and its 245 a month -_-

To compare I inquired what a honda accord is and its 230.

I am over 30, male with 0 traffic infractions... is this normal..
Hi MrPlough,

From a quick glance at what you have stated it does seem pretty high but there is some missing information to provide an accurate answer (what year is the Honda Accord, new or used, exact address of where you live). If you would like to check these numbers we would be happy to provide you a no obligation quote for the listed vehicles and we do offer some specialized discounts relating to electric vehicles.

If you would like to continue this conversation it would be best to direct message us, send us an email or give us a call. Our information can be found on our profile page or dulibaninsurance.com

cain04

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello everyone,

I'm curious to see what people are paying now that the Model 3 seems to be in the systems for most insurers.

I received a call from TD Insurance/Meloche Monnex today and they informed me of my new rate going forward. I was paying 110 a month with a Model S 75 as a comparable. I was then told that my insurance would be going to 170 a month with the car in the system. It may come down at renewal but that is the pricing now. 500 deductible on comprehensive and collision.

I know everybody is unique and comparing is difficult but I'm just curious.

When I asked as to such the drastic change, they said they have insured over 12000 (is that even possible) Model 3's in the past 2 months and, like a Civic, you pay more. I replied, "So you're punishing people for buying a similar Make and Model of car?" He didn't really have a response other than to say "this is what it costs now."

I find it hard to believe that a larger, more expensive car with additional features like the S and the X have cheaper premiums than the 3.

Please let me know what you've been experiencing with your insurance.

Thank you.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Hello everyone,

I'm curious to see what people are paying now that the Model 3 seems to be in the systems for most insurers.

I received a call from TD Insurance/Meloche Monnex today and they informed me of my new rate going forward. I was paying 110 a month with a Model S 75 as a comparable. I was then told that my insurance would be going to 170 a month with the car in the system. It may come down at renewal but that is the pricing now. 500 deductible on comprehensive and collision.

When I asked as to such the drastic change, they said they have insured over 12000 (is that even possible) Model 3's in the past 2 months and, like a Civic, you pay more. I replied, "So you're punishing people for buying a similar Make and Model of car?" He didn't really have a response other than to say "this is what it costs now."

I find it hard to believe that a larger, more expensive car with additional features like the S and the X have cheaper premiums than the 3.

Thank you.
I pay the same as what my 08 Prius used to cost, about $680 a year.

Country
Country
Hello everyone,

Thank you.
$89/month for me, with TDMM which was increased from $75 when they added the M3. Same deductible, depreciation option, etc etc. but have the grand touring solution. Alumni and home insurance discounts with them also.

Elise

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unfortunately it's not supported in provinces like BC with private insurance. has anyone received an estimate? Are they using the Chevy bolt as a similar car? Thanks in advance
Am in QC -Thanks so much for this. Have been calling everywhere - Wawanesa, Traders, La Capitale, etc. Received widely disparate quotes ($1400 down) but Aviva gave the best - around $760 before tax....wonderful. Scarlett Pimpernel is well protected....now to figure out winter tires. Thanks again.
BTW Sonnet was also very low, but on checking client reviews, decided to avoid them.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I stuck with ICBC and it was only $400 more per year than what I paid for our 2016 mazda cx9...got replacement insurance through Aviva for 5 years.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I stuck with ICBC and it was only $400 more per year than what I paid for our 2016 mazda cx9...got replacement insurance through Aviva for 5 years.
Hi there perfectg,
Can you tell me where you got that your insurance from? $400 more only? I have a perfect driving record and at max 43% discount but am paying over $250 month without new vechile replacement.

timtesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I signed up with that Aviva tesla insurance. What a nightmare it is dealing with them. I have a broken windshield, and nobody at the company can tell me if its covered or not, despite the website clearly saying "Full glass coverage". I need to know if I'm covered so I can proceed with a claim. The glass shop has also tried getting a reply from the insurance company to help me avoid the hassle of paperwork, but they cant get a straight answer either. Any time I call the broker, he says call claims. Claims says call the broker first, because only the broker knows my coverage. I don't know how the insurance process works since this is my first claim ever, but I'm fairly certain it's not supposed to be this difficult. I'm going to end up paying this out of pocket for now so I can drive again and hope they reimburse me some day.

I know car insurance in general is not fun to deal with, but this seems like next level incompetence.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I signed up with that Aviva tesla insurance. What a nightmare it is dealing with them. I have a broken windshield, and nobody at the company can tell me if its covered or not, despite the website clearly saying "Full glass coverage". I need to know if I'm covered so I can proceed with a claim. The glass shop has also tried getting a reply from the insurance company to help me avoid the hassle of paperwork, but they cant get a straight answer either. Any time I call the broker, he says call claims. Claims says call the broker first, because only the broker knows my coverage. I don't know how the insurance process works since this is my first claim ever, but I'm fairly certain it's not supposed to be this difficult. I'm going to end up paying this out of pocket for now so I can drive again and hope they reimburse me some day.

I know car insurance in general is not fun to deal with, but this seems like next level incompetence.
Had a very bad experience with Aviva about 12 years ago, dropped them immediately afterwards.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I'm definitely switching my insurance after this. Any recommendations?
Since that time, I have never had to deal with making a claim......so the three different companies we have used since that time have not been tested for efficacy.

I'm currently with Johnson/Unifund.

timtesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update: "Full glass coverage" actually means stone chip repair only. Looks like I'm out of pocket about a grand on this one. Thanks Aviva. I will be certain my next insurance policy includes ACTUAL full glass coverage

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Update: "Full glass coverage" actually means stone chip repair only. Looks like I'm out of pocket about a grand on this one. Thanks Aviva. I will be certain my next insurance policy includes ACTUAL full glass coverage
Well, that sucks.........to the point I would write a letter to the insurance ombudsman (after the dust settles).

It sounds like the classic situation where there is a 300 page contract between two parties, but one party is forced to eat a loss because, "Well, you never asked for.........".

timtesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, that sucks.........to the point I would write a letter to the insurance ombudsman (after the dust settles).

It sounds like the classic situation where there is a 300 page contract between two parties, but one party is forced to eat a loss because, "Well, you never asked for.........".
Maybe I will. One of the only reasons I took this policy was for the full glass coverage since this car has so much glass, including the glass roof. I will admit like 99% of people, I did not read any fine print. I probably still wont read fine print moving forward, but I will make sure 100% that my next policy covers glass.