Tesla Hood Badge - Coming Loose

thril

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had my model 3 for a couple of weeks now. I noticed when I was washing the car that the bottom of the T on the hood badge is sticking up 3-5mm.

A friend of mine told me he had heard that some high end Audi's have this problem because of aluminum. This didn't make sense since it's painted to me.. has anyone else had this problem with theirs?

If I hold the bottom of the T down, it sticks for a half a second then pops back up.

I live 200km from a service center so would rather fix this myself before it gets worse.. since the hood is curved I think it's harder for it to stick if the logo is more rigid. It's so thin it's popped up.

I was thinking about using 2 part epoxy I have that is non-runny. Tape off with painter tape right by the logo edges and put paper towel on top make sure to wipe off excess first after sticking it down.. then put a board from the stool to the angled hood on top of the bottom of the T.. and something heavy on top of that to hold it down over night.

I don't want to use something that will damage or react with the paint.

thril

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I reached out to Tesla on the account ask a question page.. will report back if they actually reply.

thril

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Only other complaint is one of the aero wheel caps started coming loose and a driver waived my wife down to tell her 'the wheel was falling off'. I hate those things.. ordered the wheel caps. Plan was always to use them for winter tires and get knock of Turbine wheels ... I still can't believe I paid $80k CDN and got a car with plastic wheel covers haha

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd consider leaving it out in the sun, heating it up further with a hair dryer, and then just removing it altogether.

But I'm not a fan of badges in general.

:)

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There was recently a video of a detailed removing the hood badge as p art of their protection process. They laid blue painter's tape along the edges of the badge, before they leveraged the badge off with a plastic blade. The tape might help hold back the glue.
Or take the badge off so you know where it is until a ranger visits.
Or like one owner, have a detailer/body shop put on the 3 horizontal stripe with the rounded lower corners, fancied by MelindaV and despised by Adidas.
Without the badge, your aerodynamic coefficient of drag improves along with your element of mystery.

thril

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Heating it with a hair dryer and applying weight to it for some time might bend the emblem so it isn't trying to flatten back out and come loose.

Maybe try this first before attempting to use compounds that could damage the paint. I fear dust etc may have made it less sticky at this point though.

I expect others will have this issue too.

I agree - don't like too many badges but having only the T is classy. I wonder if they will drop the 'model s' etc badges with the battery sizes eventually.

thril

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Our detailer asked us for permission to remove the emblem to make it much easier to apply the wrap. We ordered a new one from Tesla.
Did you buy it through a Service Center and have to pick it up there or did they mail it? It's a 4 hour round trip to the closest one for me.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Our detailer asked us for permission to remove the emblem to make it much easier to apply the wrap. We ordered a new one from Tesla.
Rick, was that a problem ordering a new badge from Tesla? Did you order it through a SC? Fabian, whose doing mine, wants to remove it as well for the PPF.

Rick59

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Rick, was that a problem ordering a new badge from Tesla? Did you order it through a SC? Fabian, whose doing mine, wants to remove it as well for the PPF.
I called the parts dept. In Montreal. He said he was getting quite a few orders for the emblem. Removing it for wrapping seems to be the common thing and he worried that he would soon run out and have to wait a while to get more stock from Fremont. Good luck.

thril

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@DCJOE I will check that out, thanks! The bottom of the T is very narrow, like 1/8th of an inch / 4mm. I saw on a video that the rear badge is actually metal so that may explain why it's not flexing.

thril

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got a reply from Tesla.. I don't think they realize my wife's work is a 3 hour drive from the closest service center. It's half way in between the closest Toronto one and Montreal one. They should open one in Kingston with a show room. There are BMW/Audi dealerships and lots of rich professors from the university.

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for reaching out! I'm very sorry to hear about your badging starting to separate from the vehicle. Luckily, I have already forwarded your concern to your local
Mobile Service Team and this should be something that we can come out to you and fix. That team will be reaching out to you in 24-48 business hours to get an appointment set and
get you taken care of ASAP.

If you need anything else then please let me know!

Thanks again,

Zac Hedin | Vehicle Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020
p. (877) 798-3752 |
ServiceHelpNA@tesla.com

thril

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@oneshortguy Yep, that's the backup plan.

I saw a video on YouTube of a guy taking off the rear badge and putting a decal with text T E S L A .. wasn't a fan but good instructional details and tips.

AMPM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@thril I am assuming you are in Ontario somewhere? I just picked up two replacement T’s from service and only need one. I can put one in the mail for you and you can replace the one on your hood. I’m in Barrie, Ontario. Let me know...

thril

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So it took awhile, but the mobile service tech is driving 250km just to fix the hood badge today. We told them it was low priority and to wait until they were in the area for another reason, but they are coming just for us apparently. I was asking how I could DIY but was ignored on that front. The bottom of the T is so thin, I think this could be a common problem due to the down curve of the hood. I'm going to suggest they try pre bending it before placement.