Tesla Home Charging installation - no inspection?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
We went through Tesla Home Charging to have our charger installed. Everything worked fairly well. Received the quote, signed the paperwork and then scheduled the installation. From there the communication was a little lacking, but all in all it got done.
I was told we would need to have the work inspected and once Tesla received the inspection certificate they would bill us for the install.
I was contacted by the inspector and let him know when I would be available for him to come by and do the inspection and then didn’t hear back from him. Today I received a bill from Tesla. I let them know the work had yet to be inspected, to which they emailed me a PDF of the inspection certificate. This guy submitted the certificate without doing the inspection. WTH.
I emailed the guy to confront him (don’t have his phone number) and let Tesla Home Charging know this guy did not perform an inspection and should be reported.
At this point I’m waiting to hear back from both THC and the inspector. Can’t wait to hear how he explains himself.

[Mod edit: boldface and invective removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
We went through Tesla Home Charging to have our charger installed. Everything worked fairly well. Received the quote, signed the paperwork and then scheduled the installation. From there the communication was a little lacking, but all in all it got done.
I was told we would need to have the work inspected and once Tesla received the inspection certificate they would bill us for the install.
I was contacted by the inspector and let him know when I would be available for him to come by and do the inspection and then didn’t hear back from him. Today I received a bill from Tesla. I let them know the work had yet to be inspected, to which they emailed me a PDF of the inspection certificate. This guy submitted the certificate without doing the inspection. WTH.
I emailed the guy to confront him (don’t have his phone number) and let Tesla Home Charging know this guy did not perform an inspection and should be reported.
At this point I’m waiting to hear back from both THC and the inspector. Can’t wait to hear how he explains himself.
That certainly sounds like a strange and less-than-ideal experience.

One question, though: are you sure the inspector is affiliated with Tesla, or the Tesla-contracted electrician? In Massachusetts at least, municipal governments oversee home-inspection services, and the contractor who actually did the work doesn't get to choose who will inspect it. (That could create some obvious conflicts of interest if it were allowed...)

So, if you're interested in pursuing a proper inspection of your Wall Connector installation, I would also recommend raising your concerns with your local government or home-inspection authority.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It may be a case where the inspector knows this particular installer, knows him to be competent, saw that it was a straightforward installation (nothing tricky about it) and signed off on it.

I understand wanting an explanation, but it's probably not worth getting upset. Turn on chill mode. :cool:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Where I am, there are certain things a licensed contractor can do without inspection (that in part is why they are licensed) that an individual will need an inspection, so that is a possibility as well.