Tesla heads-up on pending power outage

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Not sure if this is new in v10 or if it was there before but it’s pretty cool notification NTL.
we’re about to have rolling blackouts today into tomorrow
30D868C1-B7A1-42F6-999C-2D74C554916B.jpeg

Reactions: 4 people

GeoJohn23

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
PG&E in Northern California is likely to shut off power here due to extreme fire hazard conditions, pretty nice that when I got in my car this morning I was greeted with a warning about it. Nicely done Tesla.
E1787D93-B97B-4A2E-AEF6-0E874A5A0ECC.jpeg

Reactions: 4 people

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
PG&E in Northern California is likely to shut off power here due to extreme fire hazard conditions, pretty nice that when I got in my car this morning I was greeted with a warning about it. Nicely done Tesla. View attachment 29745
how far of a reach does PG&E have?
I have a trip leaving tomorrow down I-5 from Portland and thru Sacramento and over to Sonora.
Have you gotten any more specifics from PG&E on what exactly their plan is? and how this is a public safety deal?

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have a trip leaving tomorrow down I-5 from Portland and thru Sacramento and over to Sonora.
Have you gotten any more specifics from PG&E on what exactly their plan is? and how this is a public safety deal?

I found this map: https://projects.sfchronicle.com/trackers/power-outages/

And this one shows a more coarse representation: https://poweroutage.us/area/state/california

I don't know the area, so the map doesn't mean a lot to me, but hopefully it will be more useful to you.

It's a public safety deal because after some fires were caused by overloaded power lines last year, PG&E was ruled to be liable for the damages caused by it. So rather than inspect and improve their equipment, they decided to avoid liability by turning the power off until the fire danger passes. So my guess is anywhere power lines pass through/over trees will be cut off.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I found this map: https://projects.sfchronicle.com/trackers/power-outages/

And this one shows a more coarse representation: https://poweroutage.us/area/state/california

I don't know the area, so the map doesn't mean a lot to me, but hopefully it will be more useful to you.

It's a public safety deal because after some fires were caused by overloaded power lines last year, PG&E was ruled to be liable for the damages caused by it. So rather than inspect and improve their equipment, they decided to avoid liability by turning the power off until the fire danger passes. So my guess is anywhere power lines pass through/over trees will be cut off.
thanks! I've added that link to my page of shortcuts I have saved in the car!

Enginerd

Country
Country
I applaud PG&E for taking a defensive posture on this issue. That said, precautionary power outages are not exempt from their own dangers. A couple weeks ago, I heard several generators in the PG&E blackout areas started their own fires. It's tough to keep everyone happy... and safe.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
It's pretty far north, like beyond santa rosa where they already started shutting things down. It's working it's way down south to the bay area, and will start to kick in around 12:00 today through tomorrow.

Mostly based on high winds coming, they are worried of course about high winds blowing down lines

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
looking at the map @JasonF posted, looks like the stops I'd possibly have issues at are Mt Shasta and Corning (both of their counties are showing at about 50% off line) - so plan to charge to 100% at Grants Pass... stop at Mt Shasta and if its offline, I can still get to Corning. if Mt Shasta and Corning are both off line, I should be able to get to Yuba City, which it's county currently is showing has 100% of it's customers are online.

We'll see what tomorrow looks like! this should be fun for my first trip more than about 200miles each direction and using Superchargers I've not been to (hopefully with power!)!

Reactions: 1 person

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
and it does look like Tesla is showing the off-line superchargers in the car with a 🚫, so that's good to be able to see ahead of time

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
and it does look like Tesla is showing the off-line superchargers in the car with a 🚫, so that's good to be able to see ahead of time
Yep.
Here's what it looks like (look right behind my car's position on the map).
(and yes, I had a somewhat stressful drive home that day due to the supercharger being out of commission :p).

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yep.
(and yes, I had a somewhat stressful drive home that day due to the supercharger being out of commission :p).

I know they've shown these when a station is out long term, but wasn't sure how dynamic it is. being that most all of Napa and Humboldt counties are without power right now, it was actually a relief to see the superchargers there as off-line. lets hope over the next couple days, there are not more showing like that!

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Yep.

So did you coast home that day or detour to Hermitage? I see it was 23 F outside so it must have been last winter. I don’t know how long the Macedonia SC was down, but we were through there when it was down and it is the only time I’ve seen the somewhat nearby Strongsville SC totally occupied, plus one waiting.
561EBF3C-9C14-4119-8568-E9668765DD59.jpeg

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So did you coast home that day or detour to Hermitage? I see it was 23 F outside so it must have been last winter.
It was indeed last winter. And there were four of us in the car. But remember, I used to own a Nissan Leaf. I lived with range anxiety for 6 years, and learned to thrive in it! :p

I didn't bother detouring to another supercharger. I just slowed down to about 55mph. I think I actually arrived at home with 1% battery left.

Reactions: 2 people

JoeP

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
BTW, you get these based on where your car is *registered* not where it *is*. I got the last one in Texas while on a roughly 5000 mile road trip. All my Texan friends laughed :)

Fortunately my route back to California will involve no Superchargers in California.

JoeP

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wonder if the Gigafactory has a Gigagenerator.

Better. It's in Nevada. THey dont turn the power off there (and its way cheaper). None of my Nevada friends (I live pretty close to Gardnerville, NV) have solar because "its not cost effective here for residential users". (I might get it anyway when i move there someday but its true, the payback just isnt there over there)

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
BTW, you get these based on where your car is *registered* not where it *is*. I got the last one in Texas while on a roughly 5000 mile road trip. All my Texan friends laughed :)

Fortunately my route back to California will involve no Superchargers in California.
Okay that is just stupid then. Math is hard but come on Tesla.