Tesla Flying Car

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

EVmatch: the Airbnb of EV charging.

JWardell

TOO Master Member 👑
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It's quite a design challenge for sure, to make a vehicle that is suitable for the skies and the streets.

No one said they had to be electric though...Even Elon says it's a log way off to making sense for aircraft to be fully electric.
There are a TON of advantages to going hybrid though, especially considering maintenance is the biggest cost of flying. You can get away with a smaller, cheaper, simpler fuel engine and use the electric side to handle the peak demands (takeoff/max climb rates) instead of paying 10x for an expensive up front and to maintain turboprop etc. Just a few companies tackling this (please call me!)

We managed to make a small but incredibly durable and flight capable aircraft, but with a crash-rated front end and airbags never crammed in an aircraft, plus crammed in a from-scratch serial electric drivetrain. It's no performance machine in either application, but drove and flew incredibly well. Landing on four wheels and having a normal steering wheels instead of pedals is a joy. But it was never something for everyone.

It was for all those CEOs and actors and folks who are already pilots, and have the income for an aircraft hobby already, but didn't want to deal with flying to any of our thousands of small airports then having to take a limo the rest of their way to their meeting, and reverse. The entire thing was top grade carbon fiber, of course it can't possibly be affordable. But it was a decent first step. We even had the airframe FAA certified for production this past January. And plenty of ideas for future next steps.

When I joined there were only a handful of companies in the space, and in a few years there are 40 and counting. Aerospace has been ripe for development for a long time, it's a super exciting time in the industry. But unlike automotive, aircraft take 10x as much time and money to develop. And the regulations are decades away from allowing things to fly themselves. But we have to start somewhere. Most small aircraft are flying around with 80 year old propulsion technology....we were criticized for using a -GASP- fuel injected engine!

Things would have really reached 100% this year, but as we needed huge amounts of time and investment, the China-funded company that was mailing the checkes decided it was more profitable to cancel everything. Such a frustration to the whole team who had been working on it.

Nom

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Makes me think of someone being asked in the early 1980’s about a phone, computer, and a camera — all three well suited products for the tasks they serve — being combined into one device. How silly. Camera would never be good enough. Or it would be way to big for a phone. Or the computing power and form factor would be horrible. Laughable actually.

Klaus-rf

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Not really interested in a flying car however a hovering car might be fun.
They get very poor mileage - just standing still while consuming fuel (or electrons). And it's kinda like double-parking for the other flying cars - they're just in the way.

And the rope ladder is a show stopper for me.

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I agree, I don’t think hybrid car/plane will work. Hybrid seem to have the worst of both worlds. I think the only option is a personal aircraft. It will not need roads if you can set it down wherever you want. I don’t know if it could be electric yet or must be gas, I think both would be a problem. If nothing else it would fix Tesla’s road noise problem. I guess you could use cold air thrusters, no that’s the worst idea ever, even for a roadster