Tesla finally releases MCU upgrade for older S and X

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Infotainment Upgrade

Upgrade your Infotainment system to access new features, as well as a more advanced and smoother user experience.
Owners of Model S and Model X built March 2018 or earlier will be eligible to purchase an Infotainment Upgrade, enabling access to some of our favorite features like video streaming and an expanded Tesla Arcade, in addition to a more responsive and faster touchscreen experience.
Eligible owners will be invited by email to schedule an appointment to purchase and install the Infotainment Upgrade through Tesla Service. This upgrade is available for $2,500 plus applicable tax including installation. You won’t be able to purchase the upgrade before we notify you that your car is eligible.
Note: Some features enabled by the Infotainment Upgrade require a Premium Connectivity subscription of $9.99 per month plus applicable tax. You may already have Premium Connectivity. Confirm your status in your Tesla Account.
Owners with Full Self-Driving Capability will receive early access to the Infotainment Upgrade and a complimentary upgrade to the Full Self-Driving Computer during their appointment. Purchase Full Self Driving Capability from your Tesla app or Tesla Account to enjoy priority access the Infotainment Upgrade. Learn more about the Full Self-Driving Computer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Features
What do I get when I purchase the Infotainment Upgrade?
Your touchscreen will be more responsive and smoother, rendering images and web pages faster. You’ll also gain additional features that enhance both the entertainment and functionality of your car.
Note: Some audio and music features will be removed from your car as a result of this change and can be reviewed below.

Category : Improvements
Performance
  • More responsive and smoother touchscreen
  • Faster browser with video playback and 3D rendering support*
Audio & Music
  • Displays Bluetooth® media album art
  • Removes AM, FM and Sirius XM radio
    Your car will still have access to internet radio and music streaming*
Gaming
  • Includes graphics-intense Tesla Arcade games like Beach Buggy Racing 2, Cuphead and Stardew Valley
  • Enables gamepad compatibility
Entertainment
  • Enables video streaming and access to YouTube, Netflix, Hulu and Twitch through the Tesla Theater*
  • Adds Caraoke* and TRAX
Driver Assistance
  • Enhanced Driving Visualization for owners with Full Self-Driving Capability Computer
Security
  • Records from all cameras for DashCam and Sentry Mode for cars with the Full Self-Driving Computer
Wi-Fi
  • Supports 5GHz Wi-Fi networks
*Available only on Wi-Fi for Standard Connectivity
Is anything removed with the Infotainment Upgrade?
Yes. You will no longer have access to AM, FM or Sirius XM radio. You will still have access to internet radio and music streaming, including streaming over Bluetooth®.
Do I automatically have access to all improvements and features with the Infotainment Upgrade?
Some features are available only on Wi-Fi for Standard Connectivity. A Premium Connectivity subscription can be purchased to access features over cellular.
Learn more about connectivity, your status and how to subscribe.

Details
How do I purchase the Infotainment Upgrade?
Owners will be notified when the Infotainment Upgrade is available for their car and can schedule an appointment for purchase and installation.

How will I be notified that the upgrade is available?
We’ll send an update on availability and more information to the email address on your Tesla Account.

When will the Infotainment Upgrade be available for me?
Model S and Model X owners will be invited in groups based on their Autopilot Computer and feature configurations.

Configuration Beginning Availability
Autopilot Computer 2.5 with Full Self-Driving Capability: Scheduling Now
Autopilot Computer 2.0 with Full Self-Driving Capability: Late March
All remaining Model S and Model X owners: Early April

*Currently limited to US only at this time. Other regions to be announced.

Why isn’t the Infotainment Upgrade available for me yet?
We’re working on making the upgrade available for all owners but are not ready to start installations for all configurations yet. We’ll invite owners as their cars become eligible.

How do I check what Autopilot Computer I have?
Check your configuration from your touchscreen. Select ‘Controls’ then ‘Software’ and confirm Autopilot computer type. Then press ‘Additional Vehicle Information.’

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I have longed for this update for my MCU1 Model X, primarily due to the i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-y sluggish screen refresh and navigation routing. However, recently I learned that clearing the “recents” from the navigation menu can speed up the response. Deleted over 2 years of history, and it is much, much faster. So will pause for a moment to consider.... and then will probably hand over the money for the update.

TomT

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Doesn't seem like it is worth $2,500 to me. And you give up AM, FM and Sirius... Maybe if you are a BIG gamer (I'm not) but even then...

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Doesn't seem like it is worth $2,500 to me. And you give up AM, FM and Sirius... Maybe if you are a BIG gamer (I'm not) but even then...
I’ve never used the AM/FM radio, and I don’t have Sirius. Not a gamer and don’t care about the entertainment apps. I do care about speed of navigation screen refresh (as zoom in and out, for example), the frequent MCU crashes (at least once every 400 mile trip), the eventual emmc failure that will be at least $1k to fix anyway, getting rear camera footage with dash cam saves, and whatever continued new features Tesla rolls out that won’t be available in MCU1. Still not sure if I will do it, but those are the positives to me.

dveyjane

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I am the sort of driver/owner that Tom T. is [just above] in that i want the upgrade for all of his reasons. And i'm willing to pay for it. I'm not eligible yet, with a 2015 vehicle and AP1 and the premium communication package. Then, in addition I fall into Big River's realm when i too would wait for the EMMC failure to make the purchase.
So that has happened. ! The failure is upon me, on the road and far from home, and now i'm driving with a blank screen and my old gps for a roadmap to the next Service station ahead, at which i might apply to be eligible. I don't particularly want to have the MCU1 replaced with a refurbished MCU1 and then become eligible a month or so later and have to buy another MCU at $2500 [including installation] So i'd really like to take the combined step, and the reasonable step of exchanging the MCU1 with the upgraded MCU with LTE and 5g and the rest. [accept the loss of AM FM and XM and move on into the new world.]
But how to become Eligible suddenly, when i surely don't have that letter from the home service center and will have a great deal of difficulty driving there and waiting for it. Does anyone side with me that this is a legitimate reason to urge the service centers on my route, [one after another] - until I find one agreeable to making an exception? This is a reasonable approach to the issue of the MCU failing just outside of warranty, and my willingness to pay for the upgrade, but my unwillingness to pay for it twice. One time after the other. So far, however, its an offer of MCU1 replacement, get on the road and await your turn in the long line of AP2.5. 2.1 .2.0 and AP 1.1 and 1.0 April was the date I read, but then there have been delays due to you know what..
dave in the midwest. heading west. in his 85D with 75K miles looking for service centers like the Wichita lineman looks for another overload.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I am the sort of driver/owner that Tom T. is [just above] in that i want the upgrade for all of his reasons. And i'm willing to pay for it. I'm not eligible yet, with a 2015 vehicle and AP1 and the premium communication package. Then, in addition I fall into Big River's realm when i too would wait for the EMMC failure to make the purchase.
So that has happened. ! The failure is upon me, on the road and far from home, and now i'm driving with a blank screen and my old gps for a roadmap to the next Service station ahead, at which i might apply to be eligible. I don't particularly want to have the MCU1 replaced with a refurbished MCU1 and then become eligible a month or so later and have to buy another MCU at $2500 [including installation] So i'd really like to take the combined step, and the reasonable step of exchanging the MCU1 with the upgraded MCU with LTE and 5g and the rest. [accept the loss of AM FM and XM and move on into the new world.]
But how to become Eligible suddenly, when i surely don't have that letter from the home service center and will have a great deal of difficulty driving there and waiting for it. Does anyone side with me that this is a legitimate reason to urge the service centers on my route, [one after another] - until I find one agreeable to making an exception? This is a reasonable approach to the issue of the MCU failing just outside of warranty, and my willingness to pay for the upgrade, but my unwillingness to pay for it twice. One time after the other. So far, however, its an offer of MCU1 replacement, get on the road and await your turn in the long line of AP2.5. 2.1 .2.0 and AP 1.1 and 1.0 April was the date I read, but then there have been delays due to you know what..
dave in the midwest. heading west. in his 85D with 75K miles looking for service centers like the Wichita lineman looks for another overload.
I think it is reasonable to want MCU2 instead of replacing with a MCU1, I just don't know if the service centers have a procedure for doing it with AP1 cars at this time so they may not be able to help you even if they wanted to.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
But how to become Eligible suddenly, when i surely don't have that letter
They’ve changed the process a bit. They no longer say individuals will be notified/invited. They no longer link it to having purchased FSD. But they do still link it to AP version.
https://www.tesla.com/support/infotainment

Pre AP-2.0 cars do not qualify yet. But that is the official line. I would definitely call Tesla. I consider this a roadside emergency and would pursue that avenue.

Unfortunately there is currently a shortage of parts for the MCU2 upgrade. I have heard roughly a month delay. But I really would hope that they could prioritize you.

There are also several guys who do EMMC chip replacements that restores functionality of MCU1.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...thread-mcu-repair-black-center-screen.181124/