Tesla Event Data Recorder Access by CAN

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
** EDIT: For a step-by-step guide explaining how to download EDR data from your Model 3 and generate a report, please see @JWardell's writeup in this post **

Attention to all the software geeks here: @Bokonon @Tom Bodera @JWardell

Tesla has publicly posted information to access the EDR and has also posted detailed instructions and links to buy the CAN to USB adapter, wire harness, and download links for their EDR retrieval software.

The instructions are for the Model S but presumably the X will be the same and possibly the 3 also. Apparently the harness changed from AP1 to AP2 but it seems that AP2.5 still uses the AP2 harness. I haven’t clicked all the links so possibly a Model 3 guide is hidden in there somewhere.

This is WAY over my head but please knock yourselves out.

https://edr.tesla.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Ahh you beat me to it. I was just going to post this after reading it on Electrek.co
I imagine that individual modules have separate software to be able to get data. That field tech that did @SoFlaModel3 mobile repair had a laptop with all the goodies I’m sure. Maybe if we can distract one just long enough to clone the HDD...

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Clicking further on Tesla’s EDR page specifically lists Model 3 as supported by Tesla for free assistance to access EDR logs.

https://edr.tesla.com/help

Overview
The Tesla Model S, Model X, and Model 3 are equipped with an event data recorder (EDR). The EDR records data related to vehicle dynamics and safety systems when the system senses a crash or a crash-like situation, such as hitting a road obstacle. This data is stored in the vehicle's Restraints Control Module (RCM).

Data Retrieval
EDR Data can be retrieved from all Tesla Model S, Model X, and Model 3 vehicles. Tesla Roadster, which was produced from 2008 to 2012, is equipped with an RCM but does not have an EDR.

Report Service

Tesla provides a free online service at https://edr.tesla.com where users can generate reports from retrieved EDR data files. After creating a MyTesla account, the user may upload EDR data files from their computer and generate reports in a PDF format. These reports contain important information regarding data polarity, application limitations, and other data limitations that should be reviewed carefully by the user in the context of the facts of a given event.​

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I imagine that individual modules have separate software to be able to get data. That field tech that did @SoFlaModel3 mobile repair had a laptop with all the goodies I’m sure. Maybe if we can distract one just long enough to clone the HDD...
I’ll try to break something to get him to come back ;)

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm hoping the wiring connections are released by someone so we can DIY our own cables and not have to buy this set. Already have PEAK PCAN-USB, which can be bought for $250 (and I believe may also have cheap knockoffs)

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One of the New Mexico Model 3s got in a fender bender (rear ended). She was told she could access the Event Data Recorder and the service center was going to send instructions. While the damage isn't awful, it does look like the guy who hit her munched the charge port and door :-( Anyone managed to access the EDR? I'm not terribly sure what's all available in the EDR but it'll be interesting to find out. Of course it'd be cool if the rear camera took a photo of the guy but of course, that's not going to be the case... The Service center was able to diagnose exactly when the accident happened, and that one of her ultrasonic sensors is bad. Oh, to add insult to injury, it was a hit and run, guy drove off. Boooooo! :mad:

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
One of the New Mexico Model 3s got in a fender bender (rear ended). She was told she could access the Event Data Recorder and the service center was going to send instructions. While the damage isn't awful, it does look like the guy who hit her munched the charge port and door :-( Anyone managed to access the EDR? I'm not terribly sure what's all available in the EDR but it'll be interesting to find out. Of course it'd be cool if the rear camera took a photo of the guy but of course, that's not going to be the case... The Service center was able to diagnose exactly when the accident happened, and that one of her ultrasonic sensors is bad. Oh, to add insult to injury, it was a hit and run, guy drove off. Boooooo! :mad:
I believe the EDR doesn’t have camera data. Only the vehicle parameters such as speed, accelerator, brake, steering wheel inputs, airbag deployment time.

It is REALLY beneficial to have a dash cam at all times. It may not help but we need to proactively protect ourselves!
https://teslaownersonline.com/threa...-a-dashcam-to-avoid-what-happened-to-me.5865/

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Not yet, I use them at work (I'm an automotive software engineer). I'm picking up my Model 3 today!

Canable works with the socketcan tools in Linux. Along with cantools (Python) you have a complete open-source CAN stack. I just need a .dbc file for the Model 3..
Congrats on picking up your new car. I hope everything goes smoothly.

I'm sure as more Model 3s get out in the wild, there will be many large hackathons.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not yet. But we have a bit more info now that was not added to this thread.

-We now know the part number of the diagnostic connector. I bought a few of them.
-Unlike other Teslas, the diagnostic connector is NOT CAN, but apparently ethernet that is locked down.

We haven't determined how to activate it. My guess is the EDR kit would not use the Peak adapter for the Model 3, and either have some other homemade hardware dongle, or do something special in software along with a USB to ethernet adapter.

Sid Vijay

Country
Country
Hello everyone. I've been a passive reader of the forums here. I've owned a model 3 for past 4 months. Last week I was rear ended and there is a dispute in the 2 parties story with the insurance. I was trying to find if there has been any luck to read out the EDR data? I had not setup/saved my dash cam footage at the time of the incident, so trying to get the edr data. All I get from Tesla Service centers is that they need a law suit/subpoena :(
Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Hello everyone. I've been a passive reader of the forums here. I've owned a model 3 for past 4 months. Last week I was rear ended and there is a dispute in the 2 parties story with the insurance. I was trying to find if there has been any luck to read out the EDR data? I had not setup/saved my dash cam footage at the time of the incident, so trying to get the edr data. All I get from Tesla Service centers is that they need a law suit/subpoena :(
Thanks in advance for any info on this.
I’m sorry to hear about your accident. I’m not sure that you would hav benefitted if your dash cam function was activated as it is only forward facing now.. I’m been extremely busy and haven’t set up appointments to get my BlackVue group buy cams installed but your post has reminded me to stop delaying.

Please everybody protect yourself. There are a LOT of dishonest people on the roads! https://teslaownersonline.com/threa...-a-dashcam-to-avoid-what-happened-to-me.5865/

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi there, my wife and I were in an accident in our Tesla 3 and our insurance company has told us they will reimburse us for the PEAK adapter and retrieval cable. I have located the PEAK adapter for $205, so now I'm looking for the retrieval cable male connector or better yet, complete cable outright. Does anyone have a source for the connector (or part number), or the entire cable? I have confirmed from Tesla the EDR data is available from our accident, so hoping to get this data downloaded soon. Also, does anyone know the baud rate for the EDR data in model 3? PEAK tells me it must match the adapter's settings exactly.

Last edited:

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A Peak CAN to USB won't help you with the Model 3 because its diagnostic connector is not CAN but encrypted ethernet. We've IDed (and I've built) the physical connector for it, but we haven't identified how to communicate yet.
My guess is that for Model 3 EDR kit, Tesla would provide some specific Ethernet to USB adapter that will work with its EDR application.
Tesla's EDR web site has a link to purchase their $1000 kit from crashdatagroup but you will see that Model 3 info is not yet available. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work yet.
I have no experience on the ethernet side of things to look into it further but perhaps someone else here can.

Very sorry to hear about the accident, I hope you are both OK.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A Peak CAN to USB won't help you with the Model 3 because its diagnostic connector is not CAN but encrypted ethernet. We've IDed (and I've built) the physical connector for it, but we haven't identified how to communicate yet.
My guess is that for Model 3 EDR kit, Tesla would provide some specific Ethernet to USB adapter that will work with its EDR application.
Tesla's EDR web site has a link to purchase their $1000 kit from crashdatagroup but you will see that Model 3 info is not yet available. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work yet.
I have no experience on the ethernet side of things to look into it further but perhaps someone else here can.

Very sorry to hear about the accident, I hope you are both OK.
What's this?
untitled-2-jpg.19492