Tesla employee says software to make motors louder

save_300_dollars_ev_dot_energy

teslarules

Country
Country
Ride the lightning podcast, says software will make motors louder at slow speeds for pedestrian alerting, non confirmed but is a rumor.

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If they were planning to do that, then I don't think they would have bothered adding a speaker for the purpose.

gary in NY

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Didn't he say the rumor concerned pre-pedestrian warning system equipped cars?

Once again, this was an unconfirmed rumor.

GDN

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
To my knowledge there is no law to require it, that went into effect this year. I'm hopeful Tesla won't do anything crazy.

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I almost typed that they were probably joking, and Tesla wouldn't allocate the kind of development hours needed to make very quiet motors make a tiny bit more noise (A/C motors can be made noisier or quieter through resonance tuning).

But...then I thought about that Tesla is already under a permanent magnifying glass. The "world" wants to prove that electric cars are unsafe, and perhaps there's a possible threat of some jurisdictions trying to punish EV producers by making a pedestrian audio alert requirement retroactive. So perhaps Tesla wants a way to have the cars without pedestrian alert speakers generate some noise just in case someone threatens an expensive mandatory recall at some point.

When you have a lot of enemies, it pays to be cautious.

Reactions: 1 person

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
But here's the thing: old cars will be grandfathered, and new cars have a speaker spot.

So why introduce chattering—and its attendant inefficiencies and reliability issues—to production models?

I call bogosity on this one.

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So why introduce chattering—and its attendant inefficiencies and reliability issues—to production models?

That's precisely why I believe it's a contingency at best. I don't think it would be a chatter though, there are things you can do with alternating to make a induction motor "howl" more at low speeds. The question is whether the labor time is worth it to find the perfect configuration, and make sure it doesn't cause damage, or lessen the life of the motor or battery, or become obnoxious to the driver.

Reactions: 2 people

Mosess

TOO Supporting Member
Plaid Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
An electric motor operating at max efficiency will make no noise. So forcing the motors to make noise is essentially making them operate at an extremely inefficient manner. This would go against the very essence of Tesla. Not to mention the added wear on the bearings and coils that it would induce. I would put this together with the rest of the rumors that have no basis in reality and anyone with a small amount of engineering background would understand to be nonesense.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Can't they just did what did when we were kids and clip a playing card to a wheel?

gaduser

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It seems that bicycles, scooters, wagons, skates, and perhaps walkers might also require noise generation.
I am repressing my urge towards even more obsurd sarcasm.
I chose not to mention wheelchairs or noise pollution.