Tesla Electric Road Trip!!!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

bmost88

I live in Texas and not only are they not coming to my state, they aren't even coming to any state that borders my state lol. Oh well. Guess I'll just drive to the Tesla store again in the mall so I can sit outside, drink an Orange Julius and day dream about what life will be when I own a Tesla lol :)

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I live in Texas and not only are they not coming to my state, they aren't even coming to any state that borders my state lol. Oh well. Guess I'll just drive to the Tesla store again in the mall so I can sit outside, drink an Orange Julius and day dream about what life will be when I own a Tesla lol :)
So far the closest I've been to a RT location was a week or so ago. I even registered for it. However I was on vacation like TrevP with my wife and kids and it was a 4 hour round trip not counting time at the event. I never got a call from Elon inquiring as to whether or not I was O.K. Since I registered and hadn't shown up. :) We (I) almost went and was quite torn but just couldn't break away so it didnt pan out.
I'll check the calendar again but I think that was my closest shot/chance at making one. :(

@MelindaV,
How was it. Was it worth the effort? Curious as to what the presentation was or what the speaker was. I tried to find information about what transpires at the events before that one I attempted to make (inquiring both here and on TMC) to determine how hard I "pushed" to go but the responses of those who have attended were thin.

Ski

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
How was it. Was it worth the effort? Curious as to what the presentation was or what the speaker was. I tried to find information about what transpires at the events before that one I attempted to make (inquiring both here and on TMC) to determine how hard I "pushed" to go but the responses of those who have attended were thin.

Ski
I'm sure Elon has been asking his staff to look into your whereabouts and safety ;)
Arrived and happened to choose one the parking lot with the line of chargers, all with a Model S or X in them, plus others parked in the standard spaces.
On the curb outside the hotel were the two Tesla store cars plus a number of owners' cars too. Tesla had both cars doors and trunks open and a couple store staff people there to answer questions. I asked if they were offering test drives and was told no, but they had a full schedule of drives the next day (how one had gotten scheduled for that, IDK). He asked if I was interesting in the S or X and when I said I reserved a 3, he went on about the new lower cost of the S and that with it's $7500, it would only be x $ over the Model ☰. I pointed out that would not have a single extra option and what I expect to add, and would take my chances with the tax credit. I could see how some may be swayed (suckered ;) ) into his line of reasoning though.
Went into the room they had set up and checked in. They had hotel staff with an assortment of finger food (chocolate strawberries, skewers of grilled chicken, skewers of mozzarella and little tomatoes, prosciutto wrapped mellon, etc and ice tea, water, beer and wine. Got some ice tea and went to sit on the patio just outside. I here realized the vast difference in demographic between any other car club/group I've been involved in and the (current) Tesla drivers. haha. The table next to where I sat was a group of five 70ish year old men talking and joking about their day golfing and referring to each other as Doc (name) and Doc (next guys name). When one of the Docs got up to get a new drink he came over to my table to ask who I was, what I drive, why I don't already drive a Tesla, etc. He is a retired surgeon and he and his wife each have Model Ss. I chatted with them for a while then the Tesla rep came out and said they would begin the presentation inside shortly.
The Tesla rep did a quick recap of the Elec Roadtrip and that this year they chose to host events at destination charger locations instead of Supercharger locations as last year. On that introduced hotel marketing manager who did a 5 minute sales pitch on their resort. Then Tesla rep proceeded to go thru slideshow with basics on charging speeds, available charging options (home, SC, DC) and queried attendees on longest ownership, most miles, x-country travel, longest distance to event, Model S owners, Model X owners, solar, etc...
He then introduced an owner who talked for a few minutes and told his story of reserving the Model S sight unseen and waiting for it, then his Model X and working with the Tesla rep (that was giving the presentation) as the same week he was advised the X was leaving the factory, he his Dr scheduled him for a liver transplant. The rep interjected and said he knew this was happening, so watched the progress of the car carrier's progress to Portland on behalf of the owner and was as anxious for it's trip as if his own. Owner continued on with by the time he was cleared to leave the hospital, the rep had the X ready for delivery. The owner also demonstrated his VR/360 tour of the local Portland Tesla showroom (can't recall his business name).
The owner speaker also asked how many have reserved Model ☰'s and I was surprised at the amount of people that raised their hands (which I thought was a bit odd the Tesla rep didn't ask with his vast number of polls) - as it seemed the majority of attendees were current owners, and the reservation-wide % of owners vs new to Tesla reservations was 5% (7%? can't recall the exact), it was closer to 50% in this crowd. But maybe it's the difference of the sort of person that would take the time to go to an event like this would the that 5%.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I'm sure Elon has been asking his staff to look into your whereabouts and safety ;)
Arrived and happened to choose one the parking lot with the line of chargers, all with a Model S or X in them, plus others parked in the standard spaces.
On the curb outside the hotel were the two Tesla store cars plus a number of owners' cars too. Tesla had both cars doors and trunks open and a couple store staff people there to answer questions. I asked if they were offering test drives and was told no, but they had a full schedule of drives the next day (how one had gotten scheduled for that, IDK). He asked if I was interesting in the S or X and when I said I reserved a 3, he went on about the new lower cost of the S and that with it's $7500, it would only be x $ over the Model ☰. I pointed out that would not have a single extra option and what I expect to add, and would take my chances with the tax credit. I could see how some may be swayed (suckered ;) ) into his line of reasoning though.
Went into the room they had set up and checked in. They had hotel staff with an assortment of finger food (chocolate strawberries, skewers of grilled chicken, skewers of mozzarella and little tomatoes, prosciutto wrapped mellon, etc and ice tea, water, beer and wine. Got some ice tea and went to sit on the patio just outside. I here realized the vast difference in demographic between any other car club/group I've been involved in and the (current) Tesla drivers. haha. The table next to where I sat was a group of five 70ish year old men talking and joking about their day golfing and referring to each other as Doc (name) and Doc (next guys name). When one of the Docs got up to get a new drink he came over to my table to ask who I was, what I drive, why I don't already drive a Tesla, etc. He is a retired surgeon and he and his wife each have Model Ss. I chatted with them for a while then the Tesla rep came out and said they would begin the presentation inside shortly.
The Tesla rep did a quick recap of the Elec Roadtrip and that this year they chose to host events at destination charger locations instead of Supercharger locations as last year. On that introduced hotel marketing manager who did a 5 minute sales pitch on their resort. Then Tesla rep proceeded to go thru slideshow with basics on charging speeds, available charging options (home, SC, DC) and queried attendees on longest ownership, most miles, x-country travel, longest distance to event, Model S owners, Model X owners, solar, etc...
He then introduced an owner who talked for a few minutes and told his story of reserving the Model S sight unseen and waiting for it, then his Model X and working with the Tesla rep (that was giving the presentation) as the same week he was advised the X was leaving the factory, he his Dr scheduled him for a liver transplant. The rep interjected and said he knew this was happening, so watched the progress of the car carrier's progress to Portland on behalf of the owner and was as anxious for it's trip as if his own. Owner continued on with by the time he was cleared to leave the hospital, the rep had the X ready for delivery. The owner also demonstrated his VR/360 tour of the local Portland Tesla showroom (can't recall his business name).
The owner speaker also asked how many have reserved Model ☰'s and I was surprised at the amount of people that raised their hands (which I thought was a bit odd the Tesla rep didn't ask with his vast number of polls) - as it seemed the majority of attendees were current owners, and the reservation-wide % of owners vs new to Tesla reservations was 5% (7%? can't recall the exact), it was closer to 50% in this crowd. But maybe it's the difference of the sort of person that would take the time to go to an event like this would the that 5%.
@MelindaV,

Wow!!!! I believe this is your 'longest' post yet! I saw the length of this and thought (a) I'd better get a good cup of coffee and get comfortable-this is going to be good, (b) this will be like getting a good book on a cold winter day and reading infront of the fire! :) lol, and (c) you're now officially on my 'Christmas List'!!! ;)
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy day to compile and write this. Exactly what I was looking for a month ago trying to figure out the scope of these events and whether to 'Try' due to they're inconvenient and somewhat 'odd' locations to make one. After reading your 'novella' which I loved....I'm quite disappointed that I just missed the one that was closest to the location I was at and probably my best opportunity to catch one. :(. Sounds like it was a fun and productive event.
My biggest takeaway and my main reasoning for going was to introduce my family to the Amazing Tesla 'World' (though my wife and kids are sold on my Model 3 already)! (Two thumbs up)! and also to look at the many interior exterior color and trim level combos to help make this agonizing final decision so I am ultimate ready when the Design Studio opens up. I don't want to be caught with my 'Pants Down' so to speak when that time arrives to configure! ;) I'm sure I'm not alone in this area.
Also point taken on the 'Demographic' notice. Your experience made me both smile and chuckle as to that's exactly what I came away with in a good way....kudos to them! I read a thread on TMC on 'What do you as a Tesla Owner do for a living'. That sinched it and was an eye opener right there. My only owners group experience thus far was a motorcycle OG when I Owned a Valkyrie Rune....wow...what a bike and a great group of friends. Different demo again but still great. All my 'other' cars/vehicles have been good old family vehicles, this Tesla M3 is a dream vehicle as I'm sure it is for most reservationists.
Thanks again for the post....I'll likely try to make one of these events but I think I missed my closest opportunity which like I said was a four hour drive round trip with the family, not counting event time, as a departure from our family vacation escapades which would have been fund but would also have been a Full day activity out of our vacation so didn't happen. Once again I'll live 'vicariously' through you and others who make these wonderful events until I get my 3.:)

Ski

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@Skione65 a) coffee is always good. b) your expectations for me are much to high. c) I wasn't already?! ;)

I should have also mentioned, once outside of the metro area, the drive (SR-14) is awesome. The one photo I included of MtHood was where it's still a freeway, but a few miles east of here it becomes a 2 lane road winding up and down thru the trees along the gorge and past my local power plant (Bonneville Dam).
Anyone looking for a scenic detour should come up here :)

Rick59

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Tesla Montreal staff come to Ottawa frequently. Drove a Model X. At an intersection, rep told me to floor it. Now I know what it feels like to be an astronaut during takeoff. What a ride!

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Here's a shorter description of this event vs. @MelindaV long description.

We found it "strange" to have something called the Electric Roadtrip and not have any useful information or tips on how to do this better.

We had 2 presenters, nice guys (current local owners), but no real presentation from Tesla staff.

Most of the attendees were current owners (when you go to a lot of local events like I do, you recognize them (and some recognize me))

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@AEDennis Tesla must leave it to each local team for how the events are done. For the tesla part of the presentation, it was heavily focused on charging while traveling

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@AEDennis Tesla must leave it to each local team for how the events are done. For the tesla part of the presentation, it was heavily focused on charging while traveling
I actually met one of the Tesla marketing team members that helped with the event (from HQ) at the Gigafactory event, I'll see what the deal was. But I think you might be right.

We also had club members attend another event last week (same day as Gigafactory party) that was a longer drive from our part of Southern California.

The other Tesla Social events held at the stores were better planned.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Here's a shorter description of this event vs. @MelindaV long description.

We found it "strange" to have something called the Electric Roadtrip and not have any useful information or tips on how to do this better.

We had 2 presenters, nice guys (current local owners), but no real presentation from Tesla staff.

Most of the attendees were current owners (when you go to a lot of local events like I do, you recognize them (and some recognize me))
@AEDennis,

That combined with the fact that ~M~ got swag in the form of a Tesla Owner Electric Road Trip VIP neck hang tag :) leads me to believe there is quite some variance in how they are run at each location. Sounds like they are free to do whatever they see fit and it's not quite standardized.

Ski

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
@Skione65 a) coffee is always good. b) your expectations for me are much to high. c) I wasn't already?! ;)

I should have also mentioned, once outside of the metro area, the drive (SR-14) is awesome. The one photo I included of MtHood was where it's still a freeway, but a few miles east of here it becomes a 2 lane road winding up and down thru the trees along the gorge and past my local power plant (Bonneville Dam).
Anyone looking for a scenic detour should come up here :)

@MelindaV,

Beautiful shot! Gorgeous...the sound of that water must have been amazing.....

Ski

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@AEDennis,

That combined with the fact that ~M~ got swag in the form of a Tesla Owner Electric Road Trip VIP neck hang tag :) leads me to believe there is quite some variance in how they are run at each location. Sounds like they are free to do whatever they see fit and it's not quite standardized.

Ski
Must be..

Many newer Tesla EVents have those badges.

Here I am with the one for the Gigafactory:

IMG_20160729_174201
by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

However the Tesla Social events did not...

The launch of the D (and autopilot as a secret, something else) only had colored wristbands...

IMG_20141009_183855
by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

It's not entirely unheard of for Tesla to be inconsistent with some things..