Tesla Electric Motor

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Any info on the Tesla electric motors?

Does the Model 3 RWD electric motor have the same power / torque as the RWD Model S / Model X electric motor? Is it the same motor?

Speculating forward on the AWD Model 3.....
Will the Model 3 AWD 2nd electric motor have the same power / torque as the AWD Model S / Model X 2nd electric motor? Will it be the same motor?

How much does LR vs SR range battery affect the power / torque of the electric motor?

Finally, any speculation on how much the AWD option will cost on the Model 3?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's a new motor design. It's a permanent-magnet AC motor (the S and X use AC induction motors).
It's smaller and a little more efficient than an induction motor.
Most likely, the front motor for the AWD model will be the same as the rear motor, but that's a guess.

Some previous threads talking about the Model 3's motors:

https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/epa-certification-data.4639/page-4#post-38987
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/model-3-specs-by-tesla-from-tesla-for-tesla.5168/
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/dc-motor-vs-ac-motor.243/

The price to go from RWD to AWD in the S used to be $5000 (back when they still offered RWD), so it will probably be similar for the 3.

It's smaller and a little more efficient than an induction motor.
Smaller but not little more efficient. IIRC, significantly more efficient (especially at the edges of load/rpm graphs).
We are fighting in those 90's, compared to ICE 20-50% efficiencies. 2+% difference is significant :)

Will the Model 3 AWD 2nd electric motor have the same power / torque as the AWD Model S / Model X 2nd electric motor? Will it be the same motor?
Second motor on Model 3 will also be permanent magnet motor, likely very similar to the rear motor (stator-rotor might even be the same), but with different reduction gear and likely with weaker/smaller inverter.

AWD option should cost around 4k.
AWD will very likely NOT be available on standard range Model 3. Ever.
LR Model 3 will likely not be discontinued (like it happened with Model S).

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Will the frunk be displaced by the motor in AWD models?

My reservation option does include an AWD model with choice of SR or LR battery for delivery late 2018.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
AWD option should cost around 4k.
AWD will very likely NOT be available on standard range Model 3. Ever.
Absolutely, fundamentally disagree with this. Just ignoring the fact that this would be leaving a huge amount of money on the table for no good reason at all (lots of people getting SR would buy dual motor - myself included; range isn't hugely in demand in the Nordics, but AWD is)... you can go right now to the customization page and it explicitly states that AWD will be available with both SR and LR packs. And it's been this way from the beginning.

You're confusing a performance package with AWD. Yes, there is a good reason for a performance package to require LR (you need more power coming from the pack, and that's directly proportional to how many cells you have). But you do not need any more power to have AWD with normal performance.

tmp49.png

Last edited:

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The front motor looks to have a shorter stack (the active part with rotor and stator) than the rear.
My rough guess is the the front is roughly 2/3 as powerful as the rear.

Last edited:

DNR

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
The front motor looks to have a shorter stack (the active part with rotor and stator) than the rear.
My rough guess is the the front is roughly 2/3 as powerful as the rear.
I hope so but I kind of doubt it. That would put 0-60 at about 3 seconds (4.8 /(1 + 2/3)). On the other hand that probably is an actual CAD drawing of the car. The question is will they software cripple it or will they put a smaller motor in the rear.
I guess if they use different drive ratios for the front and back that could limit the acceleration too and improve efficiency a little. From what I've read here that matters less for permanent magnet motors though?
I think SR will be available for Dual Motor after they've met the demand for LRD models.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hope so but I kind of doubt it. That would put 0-60 at about 3 seconds (4.8 /(1 + 2/3)). On the other hand that probably is an actual CAD drawing of the car. The question is will they software cripple it or will they put a smaller motor in the rear.
I guess if they use different drive ratios for the front and back that could limit the acceleration too and improve efficiency a little. From what I've read here that matters less for permanent magnet motors though?
I think SR will be available for Dual Motor after they've met the demand for LRD models.
Yep, if they add 2/3 more torque (and relatively little weight), you'd be looking at a car pushing 3 seconds.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Seriously doubt the motors will be the limit on the performance package ; I fully expect the batteries to be. Plus, Tesla keeps talking about the Model 3 motor - singular - being used in a wide range of products. And we know Musk's obsession with mass production. :)

I think the main thing we may be seeing in those diagrams is different gearboxes for different ratios.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seriously doubt the motors will be the limit on the performance package ; I fully expect the batteries to be. Plus, Tesla keeps talking about the Model 3 motor - singular - being used in a wide range of products. And we know Musk's obsession with mass production. :)

I think the main thing we may be seeing in those diagrams is different gearboxes for different ratios.
The internal gears no doubt will be city/highway-optimized at each end (highway in front, like the other Teslas).

But regardless, we're looking at the CAD model, which I would think is pretty authoritative. The gearboxes are the ribbed part away from the motor (motor -> gearbox -> shafts) and are externally identical each end (but flipped upside down). The smooth part is the motor-y part. Both front and back have a pretty identical-looking end cap for power feed. Pinky-swear that's how these things work.

The big guess is power rating (you can't always just look at the outside of a motor and tell how it's rated). For instance, if someone said the front motor was 1/2 the output of the rear, that'd be reasonable. By pixel count it's 2/3 (16 versus 24 pixels, to be exact).

The most surprising thing to me is that in all of the "reading of the tea leaves" last year we decided the front would be a Tesla-traditional induction motor ("different architectures" explanation of delay for Dual). But these look SO similar, it's like the front is just a shorter-stack back motor...

But I would totally design it this way: mostly same parts, slightly more compact rotor and stator, exact same assembly procedure. Result: more compact motor to fit between the front wheels, geared and wound for top efficiency at highway speeds.

Last edited:

DNR

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Another theory is that the picture is the performance model and the regular dual motor model will have the smaller motor in the front and back. The suspense is killing me. haha. Maybe the performance model will come out first. They did say they wanted to optimize margins.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another theory is that the picture is the performance model and the regular dual motor model will have the smaller motor in the front and back. The suspense is killing me. haha. Maybe the performance model will come out first. They did say they wanted to optimize margins.
But then there's this, from the Emergency Responder's guide. Rear motors look the same:

DNR

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
But then there's this, from the Emergency Responder's guide. Rear motors look the same:
That's why I'm saying that the picture could be the performance model. In the Model S they used the same rear motor in the performance models and the RWD models. In the regular dual motors they used a smaller motor.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's why I'm saying that the picture could be the performance model. In the Model S they used the same rear motor in the performance models and the RWD models. In the regular dual motors they used a smaller motor.
Ah, I see what you mean. I think you're right.

So pretending along a little more:

RWD = current motor = 4.8 s
AWD = two small 2/3 motors = 3.6 s
P = one small and one big = 2.9 s

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seriously doubt the motors will be the limit on the performance package ; I fully expect the batteries to be.
Yep. We're already seeing that the SR battery pack causes a difference, even with what we assume to be the same rear motor.
Plus, Tesla keeps talking about the Model 3 motor - singular - being used in a wide range of products. And we know Musk's obsession with mass production. :)
That doesn't necessarily preclude a shorter version of the same design.

and the regular dual motor model will have the smaller motor in the front and back.
That is the only reasonable way to have AWD with smaller battery pack - make both motors smaller than motor on M3 now.

But I'm not sure about making one more motor/inverter design...

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd be kinda interested in what the cost differential is between, say, the larger Model S RWD motor, and the Model S AWD motors. Obviously, it's enough to make it worthwhile to build a different motor, but there is so much work and so many parts that are identical between them that it seems like the cost difference would be minimal. For example, the case/rotor is a bit smaller - but I'd imagine that fabricating the case/rotor costs a lot more than the slight differences in material. There may be less copper in the motor windings in the smaller motor - but just winding and epoxying and installing them seems like it would cost a lot more than the difference in materials cost.

Of course, my likelihood of finding out anything to satisfy this curiosity is about zero.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So lookin' at the pics above, it almost looks like I could 'decide' I needed the AWD update and they could just pop a front motor in there...

:)