Tesla Early Access Program (BETA TEAP)

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Were you invited to the Early Access Program?

• Yes, and I signed up.

Votes: 23 23.5%
  • Yes, but I haven't signed up.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 69 70.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like how everyone gets spun up when someone posts about a feature in Beta EAP software. And then Elon retweets someone who posted a video online using EAP Beta to remote summon their car. They don’t seem too concerned about these “leaks”!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
link to mentioned blog post
https://www.tesla.com/blog/upgrading-autopilot-and-full-self-driving-capability

and full quote:
tesla blog said:
...Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers.
there is no timeline given, and those who were invited last fall will caution others in expecting this to begin immediately. Many of those with 2018 Fall invitations to the early access program just began getting BETA releases this last month.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can I start a petition to have this thread renamed “Tesla Early Acces Program” to encourage folks to refer to it as TEAP so we don’t have to have conversations about folk’s experiences with EAP and EAP? :) (Edit: Thank you for the title change!)

I guess we need to have a chat with Tesla’s communications team too as they’re perpetuating this clash of acronyms/initialisms.

Otherwise, I gotta say I guess it’s a good thing Tesla discontinued EAP (or did they? ;)).

link to mentioned blog post
https://www.tesla.com/blog/upgrading-autopilot-and-full-self-driving-capability

and full quote:

there is no timeline given, and those who were invited last fall will caution others in expecting this to begin immediately. Many of those with 2018 Fall invitations to the early access program just began getting BETA releases this last month.
I must say that that “previously” in Tesla’s blog post is a little ambiguous. Technically, I initiated the post-delivery purchase of FSD at $3K previous to this blog post going up. I gotta wonder how they’re handling the cutoff and if everyone who jumped on the pre-delivery price (after the reduction on the post-delivery price) will get a refund. FSDgate continues…

Last edited:

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Still no news. I was getting anxious, so emailed support. Response below:

Thank you for your patience and for following up in regards to the Early Access Program. You will be contacted via email in the future regarding upcoming EAP initiatives, however, there is no timeline expectation at this time due to changing programs.
Best Regards,

Early Access Support

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Patience is the key. Tesla must have several thousands members in the TEAP program, fitting different testing needs (such as winter driving, which cannot easily be tested where I live in Hawaii).
The last beta I got for testing was not a firmware release, but a feature in the app, and I suspect I was picked precisely because I live in Hawaii, where this feature (roadside assistance) is inapplicable (no Tesla service center on the island, all done through rangers) -- am saying that because I got 5-6 (invisible) updates all in a row over a week and each crashed partway through, until finally the last version correctly indicated that this feature was not available where I lived ;-)

I am not sure why Tesla cast membership in their early access program as a reward or lure -- I enjoy participating, but mostly because I feel I can help, in some minimal way, Tesla by giving them detailed reports. It's certainly making no difference otherwise in my driving experience and it's not changing the number of firmware upgrades I am getting in any significant way. (Plus, it's clear that membership in the program does not equal early firmware upgrades during a wide-release push.) The point here is that Tesla must have known it would have enough volunteers no matter what -- plenty of enthusiasts who want the company to thrive -- so it certainly did not need to draw anyone in by describing membership as a bonus...

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
(Plus, it's clear that membership in the program does not equal early firmware upgrades during a wide-release push.) The point here is that Tesla must have known it would have enough volunteers no matter what -- plenty of enthusiasts who want the company to thrive -- so it certainly did not need to draw anyone in by describing membership as a bonus...
in contrast, the Referral reward from the last round offered Priority Access to FW (not BETA TEAP), was to be a bonus to get you FW ahead of the pack.

Since earning that reward,
I got 50.6 toward the end of its rollout
I got 5.15 toward the end of its rollout
I did get 8.2 as one of the first few on Teslafi (which this release never did go out as a mass rollout)
8.3 installed toward the middle of it's rollout
8.5 installed days after most others had already installed it
12.1.1 and 12.1.2 were both late on the 2nd day of their mass rollouts

so have had one (2019.8.2) install that I would say could be categorized as 'priority access', and it by far has been the most buggy of any FW install i've had (hence the quick change to 8.3, and very few others getting 8.2).

PaulT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would rather performance gets unlocked at this point...being one of first online reservation holders got us a model 3 a couple weeks early. Purchasing FSD with the car cost us $3k more than the promotion they offered everyone earlier this year.

I think the difference between our AWD and the PAWD(without brakes, wheels, suspension, spoiler, etc.) is around that same cost as our extra we paid for FSD now...

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would rather performance gets unlocked at this point...being one of first online reservation holders got us a model 3 a couple weeks early. Purchasing FSD with the car cost us $3k more than the promotion they offered everyone earlier this year.

I think the difference between our AWD and the PAWD(without brakes, wheels, suspension, spoiler, etc.) is around that same cost as our extra we paid for FSD now...
Straight-line performance maybe, but AWD does not get track mode. I would gladly pay for that as a separate upgrade, to unlock tons of fun in my RWD

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm still bummed by this. Thought those of us that bought FSD from the early days would get to test out that Advanced Summon or whatever it is called now. But really looks like they rolled back on this. Elon even said he would rectify it in the tweet, then went on to say we will get "priority" again... bleh, I've had that set since it was available, and I am defiantly behind most people I follow online by weeks. Care always on WIFI at home.

PaulT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm still bummed by this. Thought those of us that bought FSD from the early days would get to test out that Advanced Summon or whatever it is called now. But really looks like they rolled back on this. Elon even said he would rectify it in the tweet, then went on to say we will get "priority" again... bleh, I've had that set since it was available, and I am defiantly behind most people I follow online by weeks. Care always on WIFI at home.
I am bummed too. We were one of first in line to put money down for model 3, bought FSD up front, and my co-worker who bought a model 3 this year, spent $3k less for FSD, gets updates before us...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am bummed too. We were one of first in line to put money down for model 3, bought FSD up front, and my co-worker who bought a model 3 this year, spent $3k less for FSD, gets updates before us...

if it makes you feel any better oftentimes it is not the case that the early access program has the newest features. yes, early access is testing enhanced summon but we've not gotten an update in well over a month or so. there have been several updates and features during this time that we don't have yet. so while you get to test new features you may be missing out on some as well for quite some time. early access definitely has its pluses and minuses.