Tesla Early Access Program (BETA TEAP)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Were you invited to the Early Access Program?

• Yes, and I signed up.

Votes: 23 23.5%
  • Yes, but I haven't signed up.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 69 70.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That 1% is the most desired feature. If most people turn that off then forums like this will die and we will not be here having this discussion
I don’t think us discussing the secret-not-yet-released fw is what is keeping this site running. It was around long before we started to watch for new fw releases, for that matter, before there were any cars with fw to be tracked.

dcdttu

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
TEAP (Tesla Early Access Program), please! Let’s not have folks confusing it with Enhanced Autopilot (EAP). :)
I mean, Enhanced Autopilot should really just be EA, right? :) Yea, there's EAP and EAP, PUP and PUP. I figured that, within the context of this thread, EAP would be easily understood.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I mean, Enhanced Autopilot should really just be EA, right? :) Yea, there's EAP and EAP, PUP and PUP. I figured that, within the context of this thread, EAP would be easily understood.
Nah. By default, I thought you were referring to changes to Autopilot. *shakes fist at sky and curses acronyms*

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
hmmm..how do you know this is a beta release ?
If you are in the early access program, you get notified ahead of time. Otherwise, there is no way to know. BUT: the setup should be that only early access program members get beta firmwares, none of them is on Teslafi or other online systems that can query their car (this is part of the agreement with Tesla to be in the early access program), and so nobody else sees these firmware releases and thus nobody has to ask whether or not a release is a beta release.
In other words, that you have to ask is all the fault of early access program members who violate their agreeement with Tesla by being members of Teslafi or otherwise advertising that they got a beta firmware...

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I haven't heard of anyone in early access using Teslafi who got the boot. Lots of the cars running BETA firmware repeatedly coming up in Teslafi are employee cars.

Reminds me of Tesla telling people a few years back who were using superchargers for daily charging to stop or else. Nothing happened to them.
You still agreed not to be on Teslafi as a condition of participation in the Early Access Program. That others are reneging on their agreement is no excuse.
If that violation becomes too egregious, I assume Tesla will have to take action.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you are in the early access program, you get notified ahead of time. Otherwise, there is no way to know. BUT: the setup should be that only early access program members get beta firmwares, none of them is on Teslafi or other online systems that can query their car (this is part of the agreement with Tesla to be in the early access program), and so nobody else sees these firmware releases and thus nobody has to ask whether or not a release is a beta release.
In other words, that you have to ask is all the fault of early access program members who violate their agreeement with Tesla by being members of Teslafi or otherwise advertising that they got a beta firmware...
While this is generally true, it's also people that are not in early access might get the firmware.
Remember a year or more ago, early founders and friends of Tesla would regularly get early releases. This might have been a benefit without this agreement, and maybe they are included in some of these. Then their is our canary in Nevada that seems to be first to get everything, with versions that have nothing to do with early access. I would say employees too but I'm willing to bet they are the ones who truly are careful about sharing stuff, because they have an actual job to lose.

Tesla is a spectacular company in that unlike so many other corporations they are actually reasonable. They don't have a history of throwing the book at people that caused them no harm. But they DO appreciate owners helping other owners. That may include just touching that grey line to at least clear up confusion about things they shall not speak of.
...and they probably know full well those that have this positively amazing capability are showing every friend, family member, and coworker their humanness self-driving car, any opportunity they can get. It's better than any marketing. I may or may not have taken some videos last month that never were shared, just because it is such a freaking amazing event to document for your own memories!

nonStopSwagger

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You still agreed not to be on Teslafi as a condition of participation in the Early Access Program. That others are reneging on their agreement is no excuse.
If that violation becomes too egregious, I assume Tesla will have to take action.
I get what you are saying. But even Elon doesn't play by the rules, and he has way more at stake than EAP access. Go ask the SEC. 😀

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
My perception of Tesla's tolerance of 3rd party apps in TEAP is that Tesla has accepted that these apps represent some real world usage that should be tested with the new firmware. The 3rd party software can potentially influence the car in a way that's detrimental to user experience (like keeping the car awake causing battery drain). Blocking it from TEAP would go against the primary reason of TEAP existence.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My perception of Tesla's tolerance of 3rd party apps in TEAP is that Tesla has accepted that these apps represent some real world usage that should be tested with the new firmware. The 3rd party software can potentially influence the car in a way that's detrimental to user experience (like keeping the car awake causing battery drain). Blocking it from TEAP would go against the primary reason of TEAP existence.
Sorry, but that does not make sense. Each time Tesla sends a beta firmware to early access program members, it starts by sending an email that strongly reiterates the conditions that we cannot disclose any information about said beta firmware (not just which new features are being tested, but not even its existence) and that we cannot be on Teslafi or any similar setup and that asks us to drop out of the program if we cannot abide by these conditions, providing a convenient link to do so and giving us a fair amount of time (in my case it has been around 12h each time) to make a decision before they push the firmware.
Why would they remind us every single time of these conditions, emphasizing in particular the need to refrain from participating in third-party apps, if they had "accepted that these apps represent some real world usage that should be tested with the new firmware" ?
I think you are stating your own view that these third-party apps may provide useful information about beta firmwares to Tesla -- and I can see how one might make an argument for that. But surely the real judge of this is Tesla itself, and their view is not yours at all -- they are quite definite about it: early access program members MAY NOT use them....

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While this is generally true, it's also people that are not in early access might get the firmware.
Remember a year or more ago, early founders and friends of Tesla would regularly get early releases. This might have been a benefit without this agreement, and maybe they are included in some of these. Then their is our canary in Nevada that seems to be first to get everything, with versions that have nothing to do with early access. I would say employees too but I'm willing to bet they are the ones who truly are careful about sharing stuff, because they have an actual job to lose.

Tesla is a spectacular company in that unlike so many other corporations they are actually reasonable. They don't have a history of throwing the book at people that caused them no harm. But they DO appreciate owners helping other owners. That may include just touching that grey line to at least clear up confusion about things they shall not speak of.
...and they probably know full well those that have this positively amazing capability are showing every friend, family member, and coworker their humanness self-driving car, any opportunity they can get. It's better than any marketing. I may or may not have taken some videos last month that never were shared, just because it is such a freaking amazing event to document for your own memories!
Agreed. (Although I do not know whether early founders and "friends of Elon" were or were not bound by similar conditions. The Nevada "canary" is something of a mystery ;-)
But, yes, Tesla is tolerant and wants to keep all Tesla owners happy, not just with their cars (aren't we all?), but also with the company, so it's unlikely to be nasty about it. In particular, it's unlikely to interpret the conditions in the broadest way (since that would mean that any early access program member who acknowledges being one or reveals the conditions of the program, could be terminated).
However, their insistence that members not be part of Teslafi and other setups that access the cars has been strong from the very beginning. So I think all of us in the program owe them at least this much courtesy ;-)

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Bernard , Aren't you also prohibited from acknowledging that you are an early access member?
Correct. But see JWardell's note earlier (I believe he is also a member): there is so much discussion of that program, especially since Tesla offered membership in it as partial compensation for having prepaid FSD prior ro February 19, that simply clarifying the existence of the program and its rules (which were published many times) is (i) hard to resist ;-) and (ii) probably of some help to many.
How to participate in this forum while a member of the early access program is proving trickier than I had expected, but then again Tesla has not requested program members to stop participating in members' forums.
So I would argue that acknowledging membership in the program and stressing its terms is a minor transgression, as against being on Teslafi or posting screenshots and videos -- but then, of course, I am biassed ;-)

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Correct. But see JWardell's note earlier (I believe he is also a member): there is so much discussion of that program, especially since Tesla offered membership in it as partial compensation for having prepaid FSD prior ro February 19, that simply clarifying the existence of the program and its rules (which were published many times) is (i) hard to resist ;-) and (ii) probably of some help to many.
How to participate in this forum while a member of the early access program is proving trickier than I had expected, but then again Tesla has not requested program members to stop participating in members' forums.
So I would argue that acknowledging membership in the program and stressing its terms is a minor transgression, as against being on Teslafi or posting screenshots and videos -- but then, of course, I am biassed ;-)
Just seems a bit pot/kettle to me.

RichEV

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
was Early Access (BETA) being offered or Priority Access (as was in the last round of referral awards)?
Won't know for sure until Tesla gets around to actually offering the option as promised. <tapping foot...>

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
was Early Access (BETA) being offered or Priority Access (as was in the last round of referral awards)?
Won't know for sure until Tesla gets around to actually offering the option as promised. <tapping foot...>
We do know

Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers.
from the post here.