Tesla Early Access Program (BETA TEAP)

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

Were you invited to the Early Access Program?

• Yes, and I signed up.

Votes: 23 23.5%
  • Yes, but I haven't signed up.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 69 70.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In the interest of clarifying the confusion of the early access program, and while I have the slight chance to stay in a grey area for a bit, let me share my experience, which just changed today...

I received an invitation back on Oct 2 along with many many others. I was on vacation and only had my cell screen and saw the email when I woke up at 6am so just clicked the button to accept without even noticing the fine print. I've mentioned this before.
Since then I had no other communication, and wondered like many others what update path my car was on. If any, I felt like I was on the late access program, often getting the same updates as everyone else but later...at one point I went two months without an update!
That all changed last night when I got an email from the early access program, with details on the software update version and release notes. A few hours later, a new update was ready to install.
I haven't installed it yet as my wife has the car today.
I removed my car from TeslaFi firmware update reporting and I will withhold my comments in the forum about software versions, at least until they go widely public. You may know me well enough to know that is tough! But they (probably) finally gave me something, and it's up to me to give back. I'll say there's nothing in there we haven't all known about for a while. Hopefully these comments are fair to all, but I hated not knowing what was going on and I know many others who signed up agree. You will get a clear email when it is your turn.
With the smattering of different versions on TeslaFi in the past week and this, it seems that Tesla is finally now starting to make use of this program, and hopefully we all benefit with the expanded testing from Tesla nerds to polish things a bit more before they go out to everyone.

Thanks for that explanation.

So is the purpose to push out software versions to users in a true Beta fashion, before they are deployed to the larger group as a whole?

Also, what's the purpose of disabling TeslaFi? Is it simply that they don't want TeslaFi reporting sofware updates that aren't available to the general public? Or is it that they are more worried about someone outside of the company and the program finding out what is actually in them?

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Also, what's the purpose of disabling TeslaFi? Is it simply that they don't want TeslaFi reporting sofware updates that aren't available to the general public? Or is it that they are more worried about someone outside of the company and the program finding out what is actually in them?
I’ve assumed they want to keep the program as covert as possible. I’m attaching a picture of the email invite we got last Spring. We did not join. I thought several things about the email were strange (never used our name, referred only to improving model S, came from a teslamotors, not Tesla, email address.) I actually contacted Tesla via phone and stopped into my service center to find out if this was legit, and no one could confirm it. So we passed. And I didn’t want to give up Teslafi anyway.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes - if you opt in and agree to be Early Access, you agree to not discuss the software nor use Teslafi or other data collection tools.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for that explanation.

So is the purpose to push out software versions to users in a true Beta fashion, before they are deployed to the larger group as a whole?

I seriously doubt that Tesla worries about other companies' finding out what's in their software through Teslafi -- after all, anyone at that other company could simply buy a Tesla and have far more extensive access than through Teslafi.

Last edited:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I seriously doubt that Tesla worries about other companies' finding out what's in their software through Teslafi -- after all, anyone at that other company could simply buy a Tesla and have far more extensive access than through Teslafi.
I'm guessing you are right and several people are tearing down Tesla's every day. However, should Tesla decide they like our forum and want to hang out here and watch for feedback, we need to make sure the forum, all of us as users, and the agreements we are agreeing to by accepting EA are being held in high regard. If you are in the EA program please don't share details or screen shots. If you aren't in the EA program please don't coerce or ask information from the fellow forum members. Let's keep it clean so if Tesla wants to come hang out here or watch our forums looking for feedback on what is working and what the complaints are and what our requested features are they don't find other activity that would go against their rules.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I received a [very surprising and unexpected!] email invite from Tesla on Oct 2 at 1am, and despite being on vacation was quick to sign up when I got up at 8:50am. I assumed it was because I emailed them about auto wiper stuttering last week and received a response the same morning.
However...this morning my coworker (who just got his model 3 a few weeks ago) also mentioned he got the invite and signed up. So now I'm assuming the invite went out to most people.

Sadly my car was unplugged for six days and probably asleep and not updating, so no updates past 36.2 on 9/21, but we will see.
I really didn't think much of it till I just now read Elon's tweet response to @TrevP that it was expanded by 1000 people.

I find if very hard to believe that both myself and my coworker were randomly selected for such a small group.
I suspect many more were invited, an they really only signed up the first 1000 responses, certainly before me.
But we will see...
So, who else received the invite and when?
I did get the invite in early October as well; I accepted it and got confirmation of my enrollment in the program.
The rules of the program are specific and rather constrictive (for good reasons, I think, but a discussion of these reasons would violate the rules ;-), so beyond that I cannot say much.
It's clear, though, that the program is, as advertised, aimed at beta testing specific features -- it has no impact whatsoever on when one gets a regular firmware update.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm guessing you are right and several people are tearing down Tesla's every day. However, should Tesla decide they like our forum and want to hang out here and watch for feedback, we need to make sure the forum, all of us as users, and the agreements we are agreeing to by accepting EA are being held in high regard. If you are in the EA program please don't share details or screen shots. If you aren't in the EA program please don't coerce or ask information from the fellow forum members. Let's keep it clean so if Tesla wants to come hang out here or watch our forums looking for feedback on what is working and what the complaints are and what our requested features are they don't find other activity that would go against their rules.
Totally agree. (And I can think of many reasons why Tesla would not want early-access-program members' cars on Teslafi and similar websites. I just don't think one of them is fear of discovery of technical secrets by the competition ;-)

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Wasn’t really what I was getting at.

Totally agree. (And I can think of many reasons why Tesla would not want early-access-program members' cars on Teslafi and similar websites. I just don't think one of them is fear of discovery of technical secrets by the competition ;-)

I guess I’m not that familiar with what is available and how it all works. I’m not trying to find out secrets from any EA members. Just trying to understand what about TeslaFi would want Tesla to preclude EA users from it. Is it simply so that the number and timing of beta software versions are rolled out? Help me understand. Thanks.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Wasn’t really what I was getting at.

I guess I’m not that familiar with what is available and how it all works. I’m not trying to find out secrets from any EA members. Just trying to understand what about TeslaFi would want Tesla to preclude EA users from it. Is it simply so that the number and timing of beta software versions are rolled out? Help me understand. Thanks.
I think the confusion comes from the idea propagated online that early access program members get new firmware ahead of the other owners in order to "test" it. Even online forums like Teslarati and Electrek often retell that misinterpretation. That's just not the case: early access program members are treated just like any other owner when it comes to getting new firmware. What they do get now and then is some ad hoc firmware designed to test a few specific features that may, or may not, eventually become "new features" in a regular firmware.

It's not new for a company to have the public confuse its software development and testing program and its software release program; and in fact the companies themselves have to be careful not to mix the two.
When Windows still had releases with version numbers, Microsoft had two completely different lines of command and different development groups to manage the beta releases of Windows and the next official release of Windows, and the beta releases were kept under tight wraps, I suspect for many of the same reasons Tesla has restrictive rules: to prevent undue excitement about something that may or may not be coming (just because a feature is in beta testing does not mean it will be in the next firmware released) and to avoid having people think the next wide-release firmware is somehow "late" just because Teslafi shows that some firmware with beta features was installed in a car a few days or weeks ago (or because some owners in the early access program disregard Tesla's conditions and post snapshots of the features they were testing).

By not revealing when beta features are sent out for testing to some cars (much less which features), Tesla keeps control of their progress narrative through official statements (and tweets ;-) by company execs.

At least that's my take on this -- Tesla has thought this through carefully and probably has a long list of other reasons.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Two notes:
Careful what you wish for. I won't be specific, but it seems to me that this is forked from an early winter software release and recent features are now gone and old bugs are back. Such is the nature of beta testing! We are supposed to concentrate observations on one new feature (which again, you all already knew about months ago) [I love this stuff, I used to beg developers to let me beta test stuff when I was young and would inundate them with bugs, quirks, and corner cases...it eventually got me a summer internship at TI]

As for the discussion of why they don't want it posted to Teslafi etc, I just take the simplest explanation: whenever a new version goes up there, they are probably inundated with support requests for updates to a version they have seen there or discussed somewhere.

ChristianZ

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In the interest of clarifying the confusion of the early access program, and while I have the slight chance to stay in a grey area for a bit, let me share my experience, which just changed today...

I received an invitation back on Oct 2 along with many many others. I was on vacation and only had my cell screen and saw the email when I woke up at 6am so just clicked the button to accept without even noticing the fine print. I've mentioned this before.
Since then I had no other communication, and wondered like many others what update path my car was on. If any, I felt like I was on the late access program, often getting the same updates as everyone else but later...at one point I went two months without an update!
That all changed last night when I got an email from the early access program, with details on the software update version and release notes. A few hours later, a new update was ready to install.
I haven't installed it yet as my wife has the car today.
I removed my car from TeslaFi firmware update reporting and I will withhold my comments in the forum about software versions, at least until they go widely public. You may know me well enough to know that is tough! But they (probably) finally gave me something, and it's up to me to give back. I'll say there's nothing in there we haven't all known about for a while. Hopefully these comments are fair to all, but I hated not knowing what was going on and I know many others who signed up agree. You will get a clear email when it is your turn.
With the smattering of different versions on TeslaFi in the past week and this, it seems that Tesla is finally now starting to make use of this program, and hopefully we all benefit with the expanded testing from Tesla nerds to polish things a bit more before they go out to everyone.
So, how do we sign up... for a chance to be selected?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So, how do we sign up... for a chance to be selected?
There is no sign up. Tesla chose/chooses based on some unknown rules. Some selections went out mid-late 2018. This past week was the first we've heard some Early Access / Trial versions were ever sent out. The cars/drivers chosen and involved should be providing feedback to Tesla and we will all benefit from it in some future wide release.

RichEV

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Okay, I'm ready for my Mar 1-announced Early Access invitation ...

Artdept

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
I have never been a fan of Early access/beta programs. unless I had a spare Car I would probably avoid it. but that s just me.
early access for me...translates to headaches and Cool guy points. I don't like headaches and I quit being cool a long time ago.
Edit. I was never cool :)
For those of you who do it, have fun, I appreciate you testing it for the rest of us.