Official Tesla delivers a record 184,800 vehicles in Q1 2021

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Tesla delivers an impressive
184,800 vehicles in Q1. All carried on the back of Model 3/Y. Model S/X only accounted for just over 2000 deliveries but will ramp up during Q2 with refreshed models.

Park2670

Country
Country
I am curious how many were just USA sales. Would be interesting to compare to other sedans/suvs in this market.

MnLakeBum

Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Impressive numbers. It’s interesting to me that the Model S & X combined made up only 1.09% of the Q1 deliveries. I’d expect that number to bump up now that they have retooled for the refresh of those models.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Impressive numbers. It’s interesting to me that the Model S & X combined made up only 1.09% of the Q1 deliveries. I’d expect that number to bump up now that they have retooled for the refresh of those models.
All of those S&X sales were old models. Tesla didn't produce a single S or X in this quarter.

The retooling apparently took longer than expected.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I look forward to seeing 1Q numbers from other brands as well...how has Mach E done for example?

• Agree
Reactions: garsh

NR4P

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Order holders from late November to present not only haven't received anything, many (orders before Jan 27) were asked for $10K or more additional, told they would get cars in Feb/March and Tesla missed those dates too. With VW taking over Europe sales in selected markets, and the Mustang shipping, Tesla needs to up their game. No more resting on the only game in town.

mrau

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Chevy Bolt had best 1Q ever, delivering 9,025 cars (53% increase from 1Q 2020).

Mustang Mach-E sold 6,614 cars in 1Q.

Info from the 4/2/2021 Detroit Free Press.

• Informative
Reactions: garsh and JWardell

MnLakeBum

Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Order holders from late November to present not only haven't received anything, many (orders before Jan 27) were asked for $10K or more additional, told they would get cars in Feb/March and Tesla missed those dates too. With VW taking over Europe sales in selected markets, and the Mustang shipping, Tesla needs to up their game. No more resting on the only game in town.

Thanks for posting the article. It will be interesting to see how profitable Tesla becomes as it ramps up production over the next few years. Just like any car company, the more expensive trucks and cars generate most of their profit so they can’t let the more expensive Model S/X fade away or concede that high end of the EV market to companies like Audi/Porsche/Lucid/Mercedes. Porsche has the advantage of making 30% of their profits from their 911 which is only 10% of their sales. They can afford to sell the Taycan at no profit or even a loss for some time while they catch up to Tesla on EV’s.

I’ve been a huge fan since buying a Tesla over 6 years ago but me and many other Tesla early adopters are now seriously considering other brands for our next EV that are some ways better whether it’s handling, luxury, fit & finish, or simply color choices. I still love my Model S and will keep it as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle but it’s hard to get the handling, fit & finish, and overall driving experience of a Taycan out of my head after driving one. If the Model S had changed/updated the body panels and not just the interior, I’d likely jump on a S Plaid right away. IMO, 9 years is too long without any new body panels except a front bumper/grill. I’m just a bit tired of the look after driving it for over 6 years.

I know a lot of luxury car owners(like my wife) that will choose a vehicle mostly on color, body style, and how luxurious the interior is. She wants the leather to be the same quality as her purses and shoes, lol. ;)

JCE

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for posting the article. It will be interesting to see how profitable Tesla becomes as it ramps up production over the next few years. Just like any car company, the more expensive trucks and cars generate most of their profit so they can’t let the more expensive Model S/X fade away or concede that high end of the EV market to companies like Audi/Porsche/Lucid/Mercedes. Porsche has the advantage of making 30% of their profits from their 911 which is only 10% of their sales. They can afford to sell the Taycan at no profit or even a loss for some time while they catch up to Tesla on EV’s.

I’ve been a huge fan since buying a Tesla over 6 years ago but me and many other Tesla early adopters are now seriously considering other brands for our next EV that are some ways better whether it’s handling, luxury, fit & finish, or simply color choices. I still love my Model S and will keep it as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle but it’s hard to get the handling, fit & finish, and overall driving experience of a Taycan out of my head after driving one. If the Model S had changed/updated the body panels and not just the interior, I’d likely jump on a S Plaid right away. IMO, 9 years is too long without any new body panels except a front bumper/grill. I’m just a bit tired of the look after driving it for over 6 years.

I know a lot of luxury car owners(like my wife) that will choose a vehicle mostly on color, body style, and how luxurious the interior is. She wants the leather to be the same quality as her purses and shoes, lol. ;)

My cousin may be in the same boat. They had an S and got a Y since their console kept breaking on them. He likes the car OK but his wife hates the ride. She is used to a Mercedes SUV. If Tesla wants to retain these people-build quality and overall materials need to improve especially since other luxury brands are finally coming out with something.

Reactions: MnLakeBum

slacker775

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Chevy Bolt had best 1Q ever, delivering 9,025 cars (53% increase from 1Q 2020).

Mustang Mach-E sold 6,614 cars in 1Q.

Info from the 4/2/2021 Detroit Free Press.
The Mach-E numbers are really interesting to me. By-and-large, that is the first quarter of production & delivery so certainly it is lower than it will ultimately be. But my question becomes - how many could Ford reasonably sell if they had massive production? Looking at some annual sales numbers for Mustang, it looks like they swing around 60-80k. That was a somewhat surprising number to me as Mustang is a popular brand with a real following. I don’t think Mach-E will fully cannibalize those sales (well, at least before EV takes over ICE) so I would project annual sales of Mach-E at 40-50k max. Are Fords restrictions battery production, base car production, or buyer enthusiasm or some combo of all three?

That Tesla sold 185k vs < 7k of basically the same kind of vehicle is pretty enlightening. Granted, Tesla has a head start on manufacturing - ever think that would be a truth????

• Informative

mrau

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Ford is still eligible for the $7500 tax credit, so that will help their sales, Ford has chip shortages for most of their other models, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Mach-E is included. Seems the Mach-E sells quickly, Ford says they only last a few days on their dealer lots.

As a side note, I did find this EVSE station on the local Ford dealer building. The sign says it all. I just laughed.

Ford EVSE.jpeg

• Funny

slacker775

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’m sure they are impacted by the global chip shortage which would certainly hamper production. At their low rates, I would have to imagine that demand is very strong. But if they were producing 40k units per quarter would that demand still be there? The tax credit would be gone pretty quickly which would bring more pricing parity. It will be interesting to see without a doubt.

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.