Tesla could be using a “4416” battery cell in Model 3 and next-gen S, X fleet

dudeman

Country
Country
Can not believe that someone is actually writing an article saying tesla is building cells with dimensions of
44mm in diameter and 160mm

160mm height!! Are you kidding me??

Total BS.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe it is a bunch of 2170s packed together for easier assembly, much like many other common cells are packed into a larger battery pack. Considering extra space for packaging and solder contacts, 2x 21 and 2x 70 (two rows of four so eight total 2170 cells) would pack into about 44x160mm.
Just like a common 9v battery is really a pack of six 1.5v AAAA cells.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Maybe for the semi truck?

Ben is a friend of mine and I spoke to him about this. He says he's not into tech all that much, he's just relaying the info he received. There's a lot more to this story and it's tied to the battery pack size leaks but I'm not going to get into that. It's rather sensitive so I'll just leave it at that.

dudeman

Country
Country
Maybe it is a bunch of 2170s packed together for easier assembly, much like many other common cells are packed into a larger battery pack. Considering extra space for packaging and solder contacts, 2x 21 and 2x 70 (two rows of four so eight total 2170 cells) would pack into about 44x160mm.
Just like a common 9v battery is really a pack of six 1.5v AAAA cells.
May be you are on to something.

The height of 2170 is 700mm. How do we go from 700mm to 160mm in height?

dudeman

Country
Country
Maybe for the semi truck?

Ben is a friend of mine and I spoke to him about this. He says he's not into tech all that much, he's just relaying the info he received. There's a lot more to this story and it's tied to the battery pack size leaks but I'm not going to get into that. It's rather sensitive so I'll just leave it at that.
The height must be 1600mm in that case not 160mm as reported. 160mm does not make any sense imho.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ben's video (which the Teslarati article cites). Cell discussion starts at 14:37

EValuatED

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm trying to remember... how we got to 2170 for M3? Well...
  • 2170 from the Gigafactory -- check
  • 2170 for the Powerall2 -- check
  • New, hipo density battery for the M3 -- check
  • Different chemistry for Powerwall2 and M3 cells -- check
  • 2170 for the M3 -- check... or was this early news and a cost/performance decision was made while we weren't looking?