Tesla Battery Size: New Narrative

Mark C

Country
Country
Elon said the car won't fit above 75 kWh.
As I recall, he said it wouldn't hold more than 75 kWh of the 18650 batteries that were in use at that time. BTW, that wasn't meant to be a "quote" from Elon, just what we would call the "gist" of the tweet. I'm pretty sure he stuck that 18650 part in, though. Of course, I could be wrong. In my declining years I tend to remember things the way I want to.

Cloxxki

Country
Country
As I recall, he said it wouldn't hold more than 75 kWh of the 18650 batteries that were in use at that time. BTW, that wasn't meant to be a "quote" from Elon, just what we would call the "gist" of the tweet. I'm pretty sure he stuck that 18650 part in, though. Of course, I could be wrong. In my declining years I tend to remember things the way I want to.
I doubt it. 18650's were never a consideration for Model 3.

Mark C

Country
Country
I doubt it. 18650's were never a consideration for Model 3.
Ok, I was lazy earlier and didn't want to bother dredging up the post I saw it in. In this thread:
https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/elon-musk-tweetstorm-3-is-not-the-next-version-of-tesla.3073/
On page 1, post #6 toward the bottom. He didn't say 18650, but he did say using current cell/module energy densities. In Mar, we may have been speculating at a different battery in some fashion, but he didn't suggest the NEXT battery wouldn't fit something with more capacity.

Krzysztof Grochowski @kryniog

Replying to @elonmusk
so we can expect in future Model 3 P100D? :). Curious about acceleration :)! Next year I'll go for Model S.
Elon Musk@elonmusk
The shorter wheelbase only allows for a 75 kWh pack in Model 3 at current cell/module energy densities
12:25 PM - Mar 24, 2017

Cloxxki

Country
Country
Thanks, but clearly an Elonism, especially when dug up post reveil. What's current for him in March is not current for the marketplace.
Especially as it was going to be 2170 from an early stage, for many reasons well know.
They would have had a definite cell spec signed for with Panasonic by then. Nothing hypothetical, something real. Or they are just using buyers as