Tesla battery pack cooling

Remember that Tesla has one of the best battery thermal management systems in the market today. We should get that in the Model 3's which I am looking forward to, especially living in a cold climate in winter area.
I expect non-performance Model3-s will have more modest design for battery thermal management.
It will definitely have active heating/cooling ability, but I'm not sure it is economically reasonable to have extremely efficient design.
Therefore more likely one loop per block.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I expect non-performance Model3-s will have more modest design for battery thermal management.
It will definitely have active heating/cooling ability, but I'm not sure it is economically reasonable to have extremely efficient design.
Therefore more likely one loop per block.
I disagree - Tesla has not shown they would be cutting corners to make the Model ☰ cost efficient, and they recognize the longevity and performance of the batteries in their cars is one of the things that sets them apart from other EVs.
The battery system will be different than the Model S/X, but everything points to the Model ☰ being designed from the ground up with lessons learned from the Model S/X to continue making improvements, not to go backward.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What Tesla did with the P100 battery pack cooling is a test bed for what is planned for the Model 3. JB confirmed this.

But honestly all they really did was add a second cooling loop to each module to break up the thermal transfer due to them adding more cells and making the coolant tubes a bit thinner. They made it sound like it was revolutionary but it's not.