Tesla (18") winter tire/wheel package, "must" be SC installed.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I'm (was) looking at getting the OEM Tesla winter tire/wheel package (18" aeros).

I'm a do it yourself sort of owner, so I want them shipped to my house.

When I went to order online, the system has no home delivery option, one must choose a SC to have the installation done.

I called Lawrence Avenue (Toronto) SC yesterday and they confirmed, ".....we have to put the tires, TPMS and wheels together ourselves, perhaps you could call Tesla and see about home shipping........".

I emailed Tesla and the reply was "Unfortunately, the TPMS system must be calibrated by the SC. Ranger service could be used, but you would have to pay for it".

I (emailed) replied, "When I was at the Oakville service center in June, the shop floor boss assured me that all one has to do is bounce the new tire/wheel assembly just prior to mounting it as the car will self calibrate the TPMS. Please forward me the shop procedure that requires formal calibration of the TPMS must always involve a Tesla technician. If what you tell me is accurate, then every six months I must have my tires swapped out by Tesla for TPMS calibration reasons.

There, rant over.:mad:

So I ask the audience, what are your plans for winter tires and wheels?

Are you all going to have to get your TPMS system formally calibrated by Tesla, even if you bought your winter set from, say, the Tire Rack?

Opinions most welcome. .........

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
The reply from Tesla:

The vehicles TPMS system does self calibrate, however the vehicle will only register one set of TPMS. Swapping the wheels and tires will require a reset using software only accessible through the service team. My apologies for the inconvenience, I have exploredother possible options, however it all leads back to service.

......and my reply back.......

Sorry to sound pedantic here, but to confirm that effective communication has taken place:

Regardless of what set of winter tires/wheels/TPMS anyone may buy for their model 3, every single one of those people must see a Tesla SC for their seasonal swapout.

Regardless of distance from a SC or the ability to carry the full (and dirty) set back home.

I'll just drive with the TPMS warning lamp glowing all winter (it wouldn't be the first time).

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The reply from Tesla:

The vehicles TPMS system does self calibrate, however the vehicle will only register one set of TPMS. Swapping the wheels and tires will require a reset using software only accessible through the service team. My apologies for the inconvenience, I have exploredother possible options, however it all leads back to service.

......and my reply back.......

Sorry to sound pedantic here, but to confirm that effective communication has taken place:

Regardless of what set of winter tires/wheels/TPMS anyone may buy for their model 3, every single one of those people must see a Tesla SC for their seasonal swapout.

Regardless of distance from a SC or the ability to carry the full (and dirty) set back home.

I'll just drive with the TPMS warning lamp glowing all winter (it wouldn't be the first time).
I hope they are mistaken. I bought an extra set of aero wheels and planned on swapping them out myself.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not buying what they're telling you.

Matt from TechForum swapped out his 18s for aftermarket 20s and recorded the process. He was able to reset the sensors in the car. No SC visit required. As long as the TPMS is 433 Mhz and programmed for a Model 3, you should be fine.

I do find it very ironic that Tesla refuses to mount any "non-approved" tires on their own wheels that I might purchase, but they would require me to bring the car in to simply "calibrate" a TPMS I purchased aftermarket. If Tesla (or that SC) thinks that every person who bought a second set of TPMS is going to bring their car in once they've installed those wheels, there are going to be a lot of upset folks in the next couple months. For that matter, I don't think their SCs are ready for the kind of seasonal traffic that would generate.

Last edited:

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Matt from TechForum swapped out his 18s for aftermarket 20s and recorded the process. He was able to reset the sensors in the car. No SC visit required. As long as the TPMS is 433 Mhz and programmed for a Model 3, you should be fine.
This sounds promising, thanks for finding that video snippet.

I do find it very ironic that Tesla refuses to mount any "non-approved" tires on their own wheels that I might purchase, but they would require me to bring the car in to simply "calibrate" a TPMS I purchased aftermarket.
I wanted the actual Tesla winter tires/wheels......and I'm going thru all this.

I think I'll ask the question on Reddit..........

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This sounds promising, thanks for finding that video snippet.

I wanted the actual Tesla winter tires/wheels......and I'm going thru all this.

I think I'll ask the question on Reddit..........
While I definitely think they may have given you incorrect information, I'd be interested if you find anything definitive, as well. I've already got X-Ice 3 mounted and balanced on Tesla aeros, with the same Huf sensors Matt installed in his 20s, but they're sitting in the basement at the moment, waiting for colder weather.

If Tesla makes it difficult for you to buy their package without having them install, you can simply buy the wheels from them (and the covers, if you choose), and come out ahead of their package price by a good margin, to boot. The tradeoff is just a little less convenience (of picking up the wheels), though if you're going to DIY anyway, maybe that's okay with you.

Last edited:

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How much was the second set of aeros?
I purchased them several months ago at this point, but when I did, they were $200 (US) each, so $800. I didn't purchase the covers at the time - they were extra - $30 each, if memory serves. I figure I'll just re-use the ones the 3 came with or get those later, if I so choose.

Last edited:

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I purchased them several months ago at this point, but when I did, they were $200 (US) each, so $800. I didn't purchase the covers at the time - they were extra - $30 each, if memory serves. I figure I'll just re-use the ones the 3 came with or get those later, if I so choose.
Thanks for the info.

I'm calling the SC back armed with knowledgeable questions on this whole subject.

I may buy a set of the wheels and TPMS sensors from Tesla and source my own tires locally.

I just need to confirm I don't really need to go to a SC every time I want to swap out a set of wheels........

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I'm calling the SC back armed with knowledgeable questions on this whole subject.

I may buy a set of the wheels and TPMS sensors from Tesla and source my own tires locally.

I just need to confirm I don't really need to go to a SC every time I want to swap out a set of wheels........
The SC confirms, we can swap our wheels on our own and the car will eventually recognize new sensors with a pop up dialog box.

FWIW: (all $ CDN) wheels are $250 each, TPMS sensors are $85 each, set of four $1,340 plus HST equals $1,514.20 (F.O.B. you local SC).

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The SC confirms, we can swap our wheels on our own and the car will eventually recognize new sensors with a pop up dialog box.

FWIW: (all $ CDN) wheels are $250 each, TPMS sensors are $85 each, set of four $1,340 plus HST equals $1,514.20 (F.O.B. you local SC).
As suspected. At least it's good to get confirmation of what they didn't seem to know, at first ;)

So, with this admission, did they ever back down on the installation requirement for selling you the winter tire package? I personally think you're better off just sourcing the items (save for the wheels) yourself, as it should save you a fair amount, but it'd be nice if they didn't force your hand if you happened to want to purchase it all from them.

cain04

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve been looking at winter tires for the past couple of months as I know how inventory and timing goes with these things as soon as November rolls around.

Part of me wants to just get the Tesla 18” winter package, pay the money, and be done with it.

Part of me wants the aeros for the slight range increase and to keep something OEM on the car, but get my own wheels and TPMS sensors (although I had no idea about this calibration nonsense). But I worry about installation and people having the knowledge and equipment to properly install in the tires.

And then part of me wants to get whatever is the best and cheapest for the ca4 and figure out how to mount, install, and calibrate. I can find some good sets that include installation for about $1860 plus tax CAD with bags and such. I worry about their ability to properly install, even though the6 clearly steel Model S and X sets in the past.

This is such a nOOb question but is it possible to remove the sensors from your existing wheels and use them in your winters? Too much hassle? How obnoxious is the TPMS sensor warning in the car?

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
So, with this admission, did they ever back down on the installation requirement for selling you the winter tire package? I personally think you're better off just sourcing the items (save for the wheels) yourself, as it should save you a fair amount, but it'd be nice if they didn't force your hand if you happened to want to purchase it all from them.
The set ships from the Tesla supply chain to the SC as individual pieces.

This explains the reason that the tire/wheel sets only ship to the SC because the sets are built up local to the SC.

The Lawrence Ave SC told me (when asked) that they use a local shop to do the actual assembly because said local shop already has the Hunter road-force balance system in place (same system Tire Rack uses).

If I use locally sourced Michelin X-Ice tires (I've used these for over 10 years and that's what I would stick with) and locally sourced 433 MHz TPMS sensors plus mounting on my supplied wheels the cost is such that if I add the cost of four new aero wheels, the grand total is more than the Tesla package (strange, but true).

If I can source four aero wheels for $CDN 600 or less, I'll go with my own local package.

Any more than $CDN 600 for the four wheels, I'll just get the Tesla set.

If so, I'll see if I can just drop in and pick up the set and take it home and do the mounting on the car myself.......

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
This is such a nOOb question but is it possible to remove the sensors from your existing wheels and use them in your winters? Too much hassle? How obnoxious is the TPMS sensor warning in the car?
Valid question.

To remove the sensors every time you want them in the winter wheel set, you have to dismount the summer tires to get at the (mechanically straightforward) removable sensor.

Tires really don't like being mounted and dismounted too often because this can distort the mounting bead, so best practices is to have a dedicated wheel set for winter tires.

In other words, it is a PITA.

I have yet to see the actual TPMS warning in the Model 3, although some folks in another thread talked about the low pressure tolerances are too close to 41 PSI and they have gotten the warnings.

I would assume one gets a chime for the first 30 seconds as well as the TPMS icon flashes for 30 seconds and then glows constantly.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The set ships from the Tesla supply chain to the SC as individual pieces.

This explains the reason that the tire/wheel sets only ship to the SC because the sets are built up local to the SC.

The Lawrence Ave SC told me (when asked) that they use a local shop to do the actual assembly because said local shop already has the Hunter road-force balance system in place (same system Tire Rack uses).

If I use locally sourced Michelin X-Ice tires (I've used these for over 10 years and that's what I would stick with) and locally sourced 433 MHz TPMS sensors plus mounting on my supplied wheels the cost is such that if I add the cost of four new aero wheels, the grand total is more than the Tesla package (strange, but true).

If I can source four aero wheels for $CDN 600 or less, I'll go with my own local package.

Any more than $CDN 600 for the four wheels, I'll just get the Tesla set.

If so, I'll see if I can just drop in and pick up the set and take it home and do the mounting on the car myself.......
That makes more sense. Still, if they cross the local SC shipping desk, it should be trivial for them to just hold on to them and sell them to you individually, one would hope. I guess it entirely depends on how helpful the local SC is willing to be.

I sourced everything except the wheels online, and got the same tires, and I came out ahead of Tesla's package price, and that was before they increased it (it used to be a couple hundred less). I used a local shop for mounting and balancing. If you want to stay local as much as possible, I entirely understand that.

One additional detail I was able to find, from the owner's manual (page 113):

The Tire Pressure indicator light does not immediately turn off when you adjust tire pressure. After inflating the tire to the recommended pressure, you must drive over 15 mph (25 km/h) for more than 10 minutes to activate the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), which turns off the Tire Pressure indicator light.​

Last edited:

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
That makes more sense. Still, if they cross the local SC shipping desk, it should be trivial for them to just hold on to them and sell them to you individually, one would hope. I guess it entirely depends on how helpful the local SC is willing to be.

I sourced everything except the wheels online, and got the same tires, and I came out ahead of Tesla's package price, and that was before they increased it (it used to be a couple hundred less). I used a local shop for mounting and balancing. If you want to stay local as much as possible, I entirely understand that.

One additional detail I was able to find, from the owner's manual (page 113):

The Tire Pressure indicator light does not immediately turn off when you adjust tire pressure. After inflating the tire to the recommended pressure, you must drive over 15 mph (25 km/h) for more than 10 minutes to activate the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), which turns off the Tire Pressure indicator light.​
I did confirm that if I buy the Tesla package, I can just pick it up at the SC and do the swap out myself.

Mesprit87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What I plan to do is use the aeros that are on the car for winter. It will give me the whole winter to figure out what I want to do for summer and see what happened to others with aftermarket sensors and wheels.
I might try and deal a delivery on winter tires since it looks like it's going to be in October but I don't keep my hopes up with the rush they are in.
What I'm saying is you can delay your decision since you already have what you need for winter save the winter tire themselves .

Canuck42

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What I plan to do is use the aeros that are on the car for winter. It will give me the whole winter to figure out what I want to do for summer and see what happened to others with aftermarket sensors and wheels.
I might try and deal a delivery on winter tires since it looks like it's going to be in October but I don't keep my hopes up with the rush they are in.
What I'm saying is you can delay your decision since you already have what you need for winter save the winter tire themselves .
Do the tires shipped with the aero covers, meet the insurance companies definition of "winter tires" ?