Tesla 101

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is intended for Tesla critics or newbies:

Range— No electric automaker beats Tesla’s Model S range of 370 miles depending on battery option. Their cars built in 2012 still travel farther on a charge than any current competition. At 65 MPH you could drive about 5 hours without stopping. Different models and price points have less range. Elon Musk claims Tesla is close to creating a 500 mile range vehicle.

Charging—Most folks just plug in at home like a cellphone for about one forth the cost of gas. Many get free energy at work, school, hotels, and mall chargers. For long trips Tesla has 14,000 Superchargers providing a 70% charge in 25 min.

Maintenance— They require no maintenance for 2 years other than windshield fluid and rotating tires. They have very few moving parts. Obviously no gas, oil changes, timing belts, spark plugs, etc.

Batteries— Tesla’s batteries show just a 6% degradation of the energy capacity after 200,000 miles. Tesla is moving towards making all their own batteries after the acquisition of Maxwell Tech.

Performance— Teslas are among the fastest cars in the world reaching 0-60 in 2.3 sec. on some models. Even the “slowest” ones reach 0-60 in 5.3 sec. The torque is instant and there are no gears. They are better handling than most exotic sports cars due to weight distribution with the batteries and motor(s) beneath you.

Safety— NHTSA gave all three of Tesla’s models a perfect 5-star safety rating in every category. Many other cars achieve an overall 5-star rating, but not 5 stars in every category.

The Tesla App— Your phone automatically locks and unlocks your Model 3 so you don’t need to carry keys. You can start your air conditioning remotely, check your charge level, and even summon your car to you in a parking lot.

Self-Driving— Tesla is the only automaker that puts driving-assistance features in every car it sells. It's by far the easiest system to use and it's the only car surrounded by radar and cameras. It can even follow a map and change lanes by itself.

Software updates— Regular software updates are pushed to the cars overnight. Your Tesla gets better over time and learns self-driving from the entire 900,000 car fleet. New technology is added. Safety systems, autopilot, mapping, and battery performance can improve. It’s unheard of for automakers to release a future-proofed car.

Dash Cam, Sentry, and Dog Mode— The car records vandalism or accidents onto a flash drive for police or insurance claims. You can leave it “running” with a dog inside and the screen declares “My owner will be back. It’s 72 degrees.”

Sales and Demand—The Tesla Model 3 is the number one selling electric car both in the US and worldwide. Last year, the Model 3 outsold any other premium sedan gas or electric in the U.S. It is the fifth best-selling car of any kind in the US behind Camry, Accord, Civic, and Corolla. Since it began mass production in January 2018, the Model 3 has more sales than the Mercedes C Class, Mercedes E Class, BMW 3 Series, and Audi A4 combined. Tesla completed a record quarter in September 2019 delivering almost 100,000 cars.

China— Production just began at “Giga Factory 3” in Shanghai. The massive plant just broke ground in January 2019 in China reducing tariff and shipping issues. China is the world’s number one market for electric cars.

Resale Value— A recent study shows that Tesla’s Model S is holding its value 2 times better than the average gasoline car and 3 times better than the average electric car despite the impact of Electric Vehicle (EV) incentives. Resale values should get even better as drivers start to understand EV and ditch their Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicles.

Next models— Tesla is taking reservations for the Model Y which is a mid-sized SUV coming in spring/summer 2020. Tesla recently unveiled the futuristic Cyber Truck with production to begin in 2021. Tesla has a Semi truck and an updated Roadster coming as well.

Robo-Taxis— Tesla plans to roll out self-driving “robotaxis” in the future when it is capable and as regulators allow it. Since Tesla has almost a million cars on the road all they will need to do is flip a switch and they’ll instantly start dominating taxi and rideshare markets. If Tesla beats other automakers to the market the stock will explode and Uber/Lyft become worthless.

Additional Income Sources-- We know Tesla sells lots of cars and is a leader in solar power. Now Tesla has an additional income source-- other car companies! Volkswagen, Fiat Chrysler and other car manufactures are forced to buy carbon offset credits in Europe and states like California. Tesla reported $216 million in revenue from the sale of GHG (Greenhouse gas credits) credits just in Q1 2019. As environmental regulations gradually tighten, this income source will only grow.

(Note- updated 12/6/19)

Last edited:

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Couple corrections. Everything else is spot on.

Range: that’s based off a rated EPA of going 55mph. Doing 70 will substantially reduce that range (by about 100mi). https://teslike.com/range/

Charging: most charge sessions are under 30min, but that’s going from say 30% to 70% (estimates on my part). Far from a full charge. A full charge (say 10% to 90%) will take upwards of an hour.

MJJ

If I were to stick to the speed limit or a bit less, I could get over 5 hours of drive time out of my Model 3.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If I were to stick to the speed limit or a bit less, I could get over 5 hours of drive time out of my Model 3.
During a recent road trip, I had one leg that concerned me. I travelled mountainous terrain at 5mph under the limit, no climate control, in my P3D on 18" aeros and made 337 miles with 14 miles showing when I reached the next SC.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
@Mr. Spacely, I like the list too. A few nits tho:
  • I think you mean motor(s) instead of engine. 😏
  • The passive nature of the Tesla app working as the key is only a model 3 feature. Model S/X owners can use the app to access their car, even drive it, and do all the things you list, but it has to have a cell/WiFi connection and requires active button pushing on the phone. I think most S/X owners still primarily rely on their fobs, which are passive (unlike the model 3 fob). More detail than needed for the purpose of your list... but you should either clarify model 3 and/or remove the word passive.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Another important note...

Thanks to a question from yesterday’s shareholder meeting, we now know that Elon Musk is considering to activate the Tesla Network - using human drivers - prior to the full autonomy go-live.

Tesla can disrupt the Uber & Lyft business much sooner than we think.

Scubastevo80

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is great for Tesla critics or newbies:

(Note- update/corrected 6/12/19 4:05pm)
Great post, but I think it may need to be balanced out with some other points... I only mention these because I don't like to make people think Tesla's are perfect.

Range: I typically quote the model 3, instead of the S, given the average person isn't forking out $100k for a car. That 370 numbers goes down to 260/270 when you're looking to spend under $50k (I realize a bare bones LR DM is around $50k with the tax credit, but that price point is still high for many in my circle).

Maintenance: while routine maintenance is low in terms of both frequency and cost, we've had both our 8 month old 3 and our 5 month old 2015 CPO Model S in for warranty items multiple times. The S in particular has had about 6 items fixed- glovebox, rear passenger door handle, front passenger door panel, steering column bolt recall, airbag recall, liftgate drain plugs. That said, mobile service fixed everything so explaining the new service model via app appointments, etc. may be helpful.

Software - as you mentioned, phenominal UI and routine OTA updates. More akin to a phone than a traditional car and therefore can be buggy and may need some education around issue solving/troubleshooting.

Autopilot/FSD - great progress here, useful in many situations, but still is in "beta" and needs appropriate oversight. Another area where education is a must so people can understand that autopilot will not stop for parked firetrucks, for example.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great post, but I think it may need to be balanced out with some other points... I only mention these because I don't like to make people think Tesla's are perfect.

Range: I typically quote the model 3, instead of the S, given the average person isn't forking out $100k for a car. That 370 numbers goes down to 260/270 when you're looking to spend under $50k (I realize a bare bones LR DM is around $50k with the tax credit, but that price point is still high for many in my circle).

Maintenance: while routine maintenance is low in terms of both frequency and cost, we've had both our 8 month old 3 and our 5 month old 2015 CPO Model S in for warranty items multiple times. The S in particular has had about 6 items fixed- glovebox, rear passenger door handle, front passenger door panel, steering column bolt recall, airbag recall, liftgate drain plugs. That said, mobile service fixed everything so explaining the new service model via app appointments, etc. may be helpful.

Software - as you mentioned, phenominal UI and routine OTA updates. More akin to a phone than a traditional car and therefore can be buggy and may need some education around issue solving/troubleshooting.

Autopilot/FSD - great progress here, useful in many situations, but still is in "beta" and needs appropriate oversight. Another area where education is a must so people can understand that autopilot will not stop for parked firetrucks, for example.
I don't disagree with what you are saying, it is indeed true, bit I think OP (he can clarify for us) is likely trying to at least put some facts together for those that really don't know much about Tesla or understand them or how they are and can disrupt the auto industry. Also the intent is most likely to counter so much of the FUD that uninformed writers and self made bloggers can spread about Tesla.

While your information is true if, if you are trying to counter FUD and get some of the good facts in the hands of those that don't have it or only get bombarded with uninformed tweets, articles, web sites, etc this is the information you need. No one wants to say Tesla is perfect, they are far from it, but you've first got to get by the FUD and just out right bad information some produce and spread. If there are truly misleading facts or bad information in post 1 perhaps that should be corrected and I think OP @Mr. Spacely intends to do that, but no one airs their dirty laundry or their negative parts of their story in your advertisements and information when spreading your word. Do you think GM advertised their Cruise a few years ago and also in the same positive news about the car told buyers about their nightmare ignition scandal?

I don't want mis-information, but I see this as some facts that you'd want to share about this company and what they are doing right. How many people likely don't know that we get new software every 4 to 8 weeks bringing new features and making the car better. Many probably don't, so he is making that point. Yes every software update can and likely does have bugs, we are hoping for improvement on that, but the key here is how many other GM, Ford, VW, Mercedes, Lamborghini, Porsche drivers get any kind of over the air update to make their car better.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@GDN Exactly. I am not trying to deceive, but this is not meant to be a balanced piece. It is for FUDs and newbies who ask typical FUD-like questions.
presume this came from the comment in the shareholder meeting around Tesla developing a 'one-page' data sheet to counter FUD arguments?

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@MelindaV Funny. I did not hear that they were developing a one pager. I am fairly new to Tesla and am amazed by the misperceptions out there. (Also I am trying to make a case for the stock. It should be followed by investment firm tech analysts, not their typical auto analyst who don't understand technology.)

Scubastevo80

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't disagree with what you are saying, it is indeed true, bit I think OP (he can clarify for us) is likely trying to at least put some facts together for those that really don't know much about Tesla or understand them or how they are and can disrupt the auto industry. Also the intent is most likely to counter so much of the FUD that uninformed writers and self made bloggers can spread about Tesla.

While your information is true if, if you are trying to counter FUD and get some of the good facts in the hands of those that don't have it or only get bombarded with uninformed tweets, articles, web sites, etc this is the information you need. No one wants to say Tesla is perfect, they are far from it, but you've first got to get by the FUD and just out right bad information some produce and spread. If there are truly misleading facts or bad information in post 1 perhaps that should be corrected and I think OP @Mr. Spacely intends to do that, but no one airs their dirty laundry or their negative parts of their story in your advertisements and information when spreading your word. Do you think GM advertised their Cruise a few years ago and also in the same positive news about the car told buyers about their nightmare ignition scandal?

I don't want mis-information, but I see this as some facts that you'd want to share about this company and what they are doing right. How many people likely don't know that we get new software every 4 to 8 weeks bringing new features and making the car better. Many probably don't, so he is making that point. Yes every software update can and likely does have bugs, we are hoping for improvement on that, but the key here is how many other GM, Ford, VW, Mercedes, Lamborghini, Porsche drivers get any kind of over the air update to make their car better.
I guess my conversations have been with those more inquisitive and less biased than what others have dealt with. I typically give facts and share my own experience with others and don’t bother dealing with the ignorant or FUD spreaders. Also worth noting is that unlike others, I don.t feel it’s my job to sell cars for Tesla.

That said, I agree that the OPs points are good talking points for those dealing with the less educated on the topic of electric cars.

Scubastevo80

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There was a Washington Post article this morning titled "Tesla pushed electric cars forward, now it risks becoming a niche brand". The author made statements such as...
"the automaker is facing a raft of financial and safety issues, just as a flood of competitors are hitting the market"
"traditional auto manufacturers... have numerous factories and gnerally run smoothly to produce new vehicles."
"they sport vast dealer networks and huge marketing teams that know how to appeal to consumers and convince them to try out and buy a new car"
"Plus, these companies have brand recognition and trust built over decades of vehicle sales"
"(quote from some woman in Minnesota who passed on a 3 because her car seat wouldn't fit in the back)"If this is supposed to be the middle-America vehicle, why is it not made for middle-America needs? Like kids?"
"a former Tesla Model S owner (car collector) got rid of his two Tesla Model S sedans over reliability and quality concerns. It took too long to get replacement parts or repairs - something he expects to be solved buying an electric vehicle from a traditional brand with a better service network."

This is the type of thing many of us have to defend against, not the actual car capabilities. I haven't had many people in my car, but for those that have, the understanding that the future is here is almost immediately apparent. Muscle car owners and certain youtubers into supercars have certainly embraced this new tech.

What would be challenging to me is defending against people flat out make statements liek their car seats don't fit. We have two car seats in my 3, and my kids fit fine, including behind me (6'1 tall). Our model S has had a few repair items, all done at our house, in less than a week since we reported them. While I was certainly happy with Lexus service in our prior car, they never came to my house and repaired the car.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
It’s important for Tesla to investigate such claims objectively and take them as an opportunity to improve upon its products.

Those naysayers, for years, unknowingly helped Tesla get better, the rest of us are benefiting from incremental product improvements, and there’s no need to convince them to buy one.

Thank you naysayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks to everyone for their comments. I have adjusted a few things and added updates on production numbers; Giga-factory; and Maxwell Tech battery...

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Updated to reflect an additional income source for Tesla-- other car companies! Volkswagen, Fiat Chrysler and other car manufactures are forced to buy carbon offset credits in Europe and states like California. Tesla reported $216 million in revenue from the sale of GHG (Greenhouse gas credits) in Q1 of 2019.