Temporarily unable to make phone calls via Bluetooth

Zmgm4

We just picked up our new Model 3 today. My husband and I both set up our phones (iPhone XS and iPhone 8 Plus) as keys with the car. I paired mine with the car but he didn't. When I drove home, I tried to make a phone call and got a busy signal (remember that sound) Thought it was odd but thought it just hadn't finished pairing or something. After we got home and played with the car for while, I tried to call my son and got a busy signal. Neither of us can make or receive any calls - I am on Sprint, he is on Verizon.

I have tried unpaired and remove the phone from the car (restarted the phone), removed the phone as a key (and restarted the phone). Not sure what else to try. Our phones are useless as phones. Any suggestions? Hubby is freaking out as this is his work phone number.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This may sound obvious, but have you rebooted? Both the phones and the car? A system reboot of the car is done by foot on brake, and depress both steering wheel scroll buttons until the Tesla logo shows on the dark screen. then release an wait a couple of minutes.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Try turning bluetooth off on your phones and see if that changes anything. That should be the only thing really connecting the car to the phone. It also sounds interesting as it sounds as though you are calling out from your phone, but you are both getting busy signals. You sure there isn't some sort of outage in your area that just happens to coincide with you pairing to the car.

Anything is possible, but have not heard this from anyone else here and you have different service on your two phones, I know the car is the commonality, but seems unlikely.

Turn the bluetooth off and see what happens.

Zmgm4

Wow the timing was extremely odd but I think it might have actually been an outage in the area. But the timing was freaky. Finally realized the kids phones didn't work either and then we knew it wasn't Tesla related. Phew. Love my car and this made me really sad!!!

Thanks for your help and suggestions so quickly!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You are welcome. Stay around, introduce yourselves, post some pics (yes after 100,000) or so of them, we love pics. There are a lot of great people and information here. We might obsess a bit, but we help each other through it.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow the timing was extremely odd but I think it might have actually been an outage in the area. But the timing was freaky. Finally realized the kids phones didn't work either and then we knew it wasn't Tesla related. Phew. Love my car and this made me really sad!!!

Thanks for your help and suggestions so quickly!
so why so quick to blame Tesla?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I drove home, I tried to make a phone call and got a busy signal (remember that sound) Thought it was odd but thought it just hadn't finished pairing or something. After we got home and played with the car for while, I tried to call my son and got a busy signal.
When you get a busy signal, that rules out Bluetooth being the issue.

Zmgm4

so why so quick to blame Tesla?
Quick to blame Tesla because we were sitting in the car and not able to make phone calls. I had made a phone call just prior to adding the key to the phone. The timing was obviously very coincidental and obviously we didn't know any better. Kids were out enjoying Halloween and we had no other form of reference until they got home. Never considered an outage given our circumstances. Feels like a snarky question for a new, excited owner.