Tempe AZ Experience

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Before I get to the delivery experience, even though I mentioned this in another thread, I'll repeat it here: I am amazed at how fast the entire process has gone. I was not a reservation holder, and decided to place my order for a MSM RWD M3 w/EAP on Aug 26th. Within a couple days I was prompted to upload all my license/insurance info, along with trade-in details. A couple more days later, and I get a call to set up delivery on Sept. 11th. Two weeks, no reservation... consider me impressed. I was obviously one of the fortunate ones who ordered the right configuration just as Tesla was ramping up for their big Q3 delivery push...

Then the dreaded call came, at 6 PM on the 10th. The car was in Tempe, but during inspection they noticed a crack in the glass roof that was not visible from the outside. The delivery manager with whom I was now dealing had checked with service, but they had to special order the part... expected delay was 2 weeks.

The delivery date on my account page almost immediately reverted to "late September" but at least my primary contact for delivery was one of the mangers, who not only called me, but would promptly reply to my e-mails over the next few days as he promised to work with service to get the car fixed and delivered ASAP. This turned out to be important since I got multiple calls from Vegas to set up delivery, only to discover they had no idea what my situation actually was. When I did pencil-in a tentative date of 9/24 with one of them, I still received a call a couple days later where they seemed very confused that they were prompted to call me to set up delivery when I was clearly already on the calendar... Delivery logistics hell seems to be compounded by disparate systems that don't talk to each other...

When all was said and done, I took delivery yesterday (9/21), and was very pleased with the quality of the car and the replaced glass. The only thing I noted during my inspection were a couple minor paint defects on the passenger side real quarter panel. I'm waiting to hear from service on when they can schedule me in to fix them.

Working with 2 different delivery managers at Tempe was great - they replied to my questions quickly and scheduled my delivery at my convenience, which was much appreciated. My delivery rep was nice, and got us processed in good time (we weren't rushed out at all), though he did give us a bit of incorrect info and did not know the answers to a couple questions I had. He did prioritize us though, which was also very much appreciated. Due to an issue with the printer at our bank I was delayed in getting my cashier's check which made us about 15 minutes late to our appointment. As I pulled in to the center, there were so many Teslas on the lot that I could barely navigate through them, and there was no open parking. But, turning the corner, I saw what must be our new M3 sitting under the tent with someone (turned out to be our delivery guy) doing final prep on the car. I pulled up, he asked if we were who he was expecting, and found me a place to park my trade-in. We were taken to do paperwork prior to really looking at the car - I was going to insist on an inspection before handing the check over, but didn't want to make it an issue since I knew I would not be refusing delivery. It worked out well though, and Sparky is now sitting in my garage as I type this.

Anyone in AZ thinking of ordering or awaiting delivery, I would say that you should expect a great experience with the team at Tempe. Don't be surprised by confusion from the central delivery team (based in Vegas), but if you treat them well, you will be well treated in return. I heard many apologies for the confusion. The number of cars Tesla is currently delivering is astounding, and I'm confident that I made a wise decision in purchasing the car - I expect the company to be successful for many, many years to come and am confident that they will deliver the support they promise.

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do they have the delivery room ready yet? When I picked up in early May, the cars were delivered outside - which I'm sure was pretty intense for people getting delivery in June.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do they have the delivery room ready yet? When I picked up in early May, the cars were delivered outside - which I'm sure was pretty intense for people getting delivery in June.
The delivery room appeared to be ready, but the overflow meant I got mine outside...