Teenager's Innovative Solution to Blind Spots

• JOIN @TREVP AND SOME T.O.O. CREW FOR THE FIRST EVER ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT AT BASECAMP MIAMI!
    THE LARGEST ELECTRIC VEHICLE EVENT ON THE EAST COAST SATURDAY FEBRUARY 8th!
    Full details and RSVP here

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

AmpHog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
An interesting concept.

Quick Summary: "Gassler's project uses a webcam, projector, 3D printed adapter and retroreflective fabric to make a car's A-pillars invisible by displaying the image of the blind spot behind them onto the pillar."

When I saw this, I thought the idea was Elon-like in concept. And then I saw this at the end of the story: "The student said she hopes to make her prototype more unique, patent the design, and submit the idea to automotive companies like Tesla." Bottom line: Kids know who the innovators are today. :)

CNN Story Link

Direct Link to YouTube Video

jmaddr

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No kidding. It’s crazy what they think of.
I have seen this concept before so I’m not exactly sure how patentable it is, but it would be interesting if she solves the angle issue when you combine video display with real life viewing. Notice the camera doesn’t move in the video. That’s because of the “head” we’re to shift to the left or right, up or down, the displayed image would shift and it would not look clean as it does.
I have seen technologies like this in closed cockpit scenarios where the driver or pilot or marine is covered on all sides by bullet proof steel. The driver can still pilot the vehicle just like there was glass there.
Still, I like her drive and innovative thinking. That looks like a TM3 in the video.

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Even if the car is driving itself, It would make the view better for the passenger. I would also like to see the visors moved to the top if the doors and make the whole top horizontal Bar/pillar an LCD screen. It would be easy to see and give more room on the 15" display for playing games or watching movies or even larger fonts.