Question Tear in coating/paint

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a Model 3 with full ceramic coating over the whole body. Ceramic Pro Gold Coating was done about 9 months ago.
Has anyone seen this before? Seems like a tear in the coating/paint?? It’s on the passenger side rocker panel.

Also having trouble removing tar from the rockers with normal washing? Is it ok to use bug and tar remover? I’m afraid I could be rubbing too hard.

Thanks!

Attachments

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It looks like the powdery primer layer was scratched at that point, and no one noticed before paint was applied. That should be a warranty repair issue.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If this were the case, it would have been noticed when the ceramic coating was applied.
It's about as far from eye level as you can get, so it depends on the detailer working on it being extra vigilant.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a Model 3 with full ceramic coating over the whole body. Ceramic Pro Gold Coating was done about 9 months ago.
Has anyone seen this before? Seems like a tear in the coating/paint?? It’s on the passenger side rocker panel.

Also having trouble removing tar from the rockers with normal washing? Is it ok to use bug and tar remover? I’m afraid I could be rubbing too hard.

Thanks!
It looks like a defect in the factory rubberized stoneguard thats applied on the lower rockers prior to painting. As mentioned above it appears the defect was there prior to paint. The ceramic would have been applied on top of this.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As a follow up here, I took my Model 3 to Tesla. They determined that there was no defect that was covered under warranty. Secondly, there is no "factory rubberized stone guard" on the lower rocker panels. It's all just paint. They did a free touch up for me but nothing else. I'll have to see if my body shop can sand and repaint.

Jason@FreshStartDetail

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Does it look like clear coat was sprayed over that area? Or does it look like the damage was done after the clear being painted? You should be able to tell with your fingernail, if it catches the edge or not. This would answer a few questions.
If it was cleared over, then it is absolutely a factory flaw. If not, then the damage occurred sometime after painting from the factory (although it still could've happened prior to delivery to you).
Your ceramic coating installer should have mentioned this to you, and even noted it on your warranty when they registered it with Ceramic Pro. If not, I'd question how well of a job they did if they didn't even get low enough to see this.

Mesprit87

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
IMHO, nothing to do with ceramic coating.
This really looks like a badly prepared re-spray, looks white underneath so not all the way to the primer.
Clear only? Hard to say.
For tar, you can use WD40 or a standard paint cleaner with some muscle work.