Tasker with Tesla Plugin (Android)

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For Android users I highly suggest Tasker & the Tasker for Tesla plugin.

Sometimes when my car is in a deep sleep it takes a while to wake it up when opening the app.

I set up a few basic tasks in Tasker and now I launch that Task and it immediately does it and wakes up the car, making the app available for use right away.

Attachments

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also just a heads up so that everyone is aware. The Tasker for Tesla plugin is .99c and the main Tasker app is $2.99

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tasker is the only thing I miss from my short time with Android life. I imagine you can have some fun with that!

I think we’re finally getting closer on the iOS side with Siri Shortcuts.

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tasker is the only thing I miss from my short time with Android life. I imagine you can have some fun with that!

I think we’re finally getting closer on the iOS side with Siri Shortcuts.
Definitely. I think people who have issues should give both of these a shot instead of buying a key fob...

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sentry Mode support has just been added to the plug-in. Does anyone know if we can make Tasker automatically turn on Sentry Mode whenever the car is parked and locked?

japhule

Country
Country
Sentry Mode support has just been added to the plug-in. Does anyone know if we can make Tasker automatically turn on Sentry Mode whenever the car is parked and locked?
I don't see why not. You can set Tasker to send the Sentry Mode On command when it loses the bluetooth connection to the car. I've set it up so that when I'm at work and connected to my work wifi, Sentry Mode gets turned on.

Separately, Elon mentioned on twitter additional options coming to enable/disable sentry mode automatically.

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't see why not. You can set Tasker to send the Sentry Mode On command when it loses the bluetooth connection to the car. I've set it up so that when I'm at work and connected to my work wifi, Sentry Mode gets turned on.

Separately, Elon mentioned on twitter additional options coming to enable/disable sentry mode automatically.

No other mfg can do this, and I doubt they will either.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been using Tasker to select a spotify playlist when connected to BT (since it doesn't automatically select music on the car's display) but I didn't realize there was a tesla plug-in, thanks for the info!

Jbd747

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Purchased Tasker (android only) app... And the tasker tesla plugin (total for both about $4) a couple of days ago. Am now able to have icon on my phone to turn on AC. Then I added a bunch more. Love it.. Highly recommend it.
screenshot_20190629-105235-png.27227

Perscitus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for sharing. Note that there are a number of old 2017/18 posts and threads about this - some love it, some not so much.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone else had BT connection problems that have gotten worse recently? My car will now not detect my phone key unless my screen is powered on and I repeatedly have to go into the app and lock the car after walking away since it didn't sense me walking away. It used to never do this...

Edit: I don't know if I should suspect my older S7, my samsung watch, or the car itself...

30cl

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had that happened to me couple of times for the past week. I have S8. I am thinking of making Bluetooth on/off action to be scheduled at night and see if it fixes inconsistency with Bluetooth proximity with Model 3.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had that happened to me couple of times for the past week. I have S8. I am thinking of making Bluetooth on/off action to be scheduled at night and see if it fixes inconsistency with Bluetooth proximity with Model 3.
Let me know how that goes because I would love to find a good reset solution. Having to stand at the door with my passengers as I unlock my phone, start the Tesla app, wait for it to load, then finally click unlock gets pretty annoying. A home screen widget with front trunk and unlock buttons native to the app would be really helpful too but the Tesla tasker plugin seems to fill that requirement.

raptor

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone else had BT connection problems that have gotten worse recently? My car will now not detect my phone key unless my screen is powered on and I repeatedly have to go into the app and lock the car after walking away since it didn't sense me walking away. It used to never do this...

Edit: I don't know if I should suspect my older S7, my samsung watch, or the car itself...
Yes, something changed. It has become very unusable for me since one of the more recent app updates. Turning BT off/on again seems to resolve it for a while, so I'm using Tasker to toggle BT around the time I get ready to leave home/office.

eXntrc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone else had BT connection problems that have gotten worse recently? My car will now not detect my phone key unless my screen is powered on and I repeatedly have to go into the app and lock the car after walking away since it didn't sense me walking away.
Honestly I haven't seen this happen yet. Fingers crossed. I will say that I've seen this happen a few times when the Tesla app for Android has been updated. It seems that when the Android app is updated, sometimes it's running service gets killed. I believe that service is necessary for the BLE Phone Key to work correctly. Any time I haven't been able to unlock my car just by walking up to it, I've opened the Tesla app and everything has gone back to normal. But since you've mentioned having to go into the app repeatedly, this may not be the case.

It's worth noting that Android keeps getting more and more stringent on background processes. For example, see the recent updates to Background Location. From that article, note that these limitations do not apply to foreground applications. And notice this bullet point:

I mention this because if you've disabled the persistent Tesla notification in your notification try you may have inadvertently forced it into the background. And with Android 8.0, you may have inadvertently blocked it from responding to BLE activations.

Now, I'm just spitballing here and I may be completely off the mark. I'm just trying to think of reasons why (at least for now) mine seems to be OK but some of you are seeing this issue.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I mention this because if you've disabled the persistent Tesla notification in your notification try you may have inadvertently forced it into the background. And with Android 8.0, you may have inadvertently blocked it from responding to BLE activations.

Now, I'm just spitballing here and I may be completely off the mark. I'm just trying to think of reasons why (at least for now) mine seems to be OK but some of you are seeing this issue.
I have an S7, so I'm not sure if this is phone specific but do you guys know what "Phone Key Status" is under the App Notificaitons settings for the Tesla App? It is a toggle and sounds fairly app specific. Mine is off right now.