TACC should come equipped with all Tesla vehicles

As additional manufacturers release vehicles (as of 2018 10 cars have ACC) in 2019/2020 many equipped with adaptive cruise control as a standard feature, I envision Tesla will make TACC a standard autopilot feature along with automatic emergency braking, front/side collision warning. Thus, leaving the following EAP features: auto lane changing, autosteer, auto park, and summon.

Why is TACC a huge selling point and gateway into EAP and full self-driving technologies?

The first cruise control was in the 1958 Imperial and the tech was coined Autopilot. The cruise control technology has seen little or no improvement in decades until the last couple of decades. There's a huge opportunity for Tesla offer TACC as a standard feature. TACC is like training wheels for those who are not ready for EAP or full self-driving. With time and increased comfort level, new Tesla owners can upgrade to EAP altogether or opt for 1 or 2 features (Auto park & Summon).

I personally do not have EAP and enjoy driving my M3. The use case I have for EAP does not warrant the $5K. For the time being, I want one feature - TACC when I am in stop and go traffic once or twice a week (I work remotely).

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I personally do not have EAP and enjoy driving my M3. The use case I have for EAP does not warrant the $5K. For the time being, I want one feature - TACC when I am in stop and go traffic once or twice a week (I work remotely).
If you ever used EAP in traffic (autopilot), you’d fall in love and never want to go back. Heh

jsmay311

Country
Country
Even if it wasn't standard, it would be very nice if you could buy TACC as a standalone option for, say, $1k instead of having to shell out $5k for EAP. But that might hurt profitability for Tesla.

More and more non-luxury cars are offering adaptive cruise control for <$1k, so Tesla's pricing structure in this is a big outlier.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting — @LUXMAN I know you didn’t get EAP, does your car have TACC?
NO. Without autopilot, I just have a basic cruise control. For me that is fine. I love the way the scroll wheel allows me to smoothly accelerate to stay with traffic. I try to avoid stop and go traffic times as much as possible by shifting my work schedule. But when I can't, I (unfortunately) cant just sit and go with it, I am always looking for alternate routes, so I wouldn't use it enough to justify the expense. But I do like the idea of breaking off that bit and making it an incremental cost. It may help with the AP uptake for Tesla. Give 'em a taste and wanting more

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
NO. Without autopilot, I just have a basic cruise control. For me that is fine. I love the way the scroll wheel allows me to smoothly accelerate to stay with traffic. I try to avoid stop and go traffic times as much as possible by shifting my work schedule. But when I can't, I (unfortunately) cant just sit and go with it, I am always looking for alternate routes, so I wouldn't use it enough to justify the expense. But I do like the idea of breaking off that bit and making it an incremental cost. It may help with the AP uptake for Tesla. Give 'em a taste and wanting more
Thanks for confirming!

Even EAP should be free, at least in its current form.
They give you the safety features for free, but why would you expect the convenience features for free?

Russell

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think EAP should be free in its current form, primarily because it's still very much in beta. They need a lot of data at this point to continue to build the feature. I do understand however that Tesla is still not making money, so they're not quite in a place where they can afford it.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think EAP should be free in its current form, primarily because it's still very much in beta. They need a lot of data at this point to continue to build the feature. I do understand however that Tesla is still not making money, so they're not quite in a place where they can afford it.
They actually get the data from the hardware that was placed in the car whether you pay for EAP or not.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Even if it wasn't standard, it would be very nice if you could buy TACC as a standalone option for, say, $1k instead of having to shell out $5k for EAP. But that might hurt profitability for Tesla.

More and more non-luxury cars are offering adaptive cruise control for <$1k, so Tesla's pricing structure in this is a big outlier.
My 2018 Subaru impreza has adaptive cruise - it's awesome. Disappointed it's an option on the Model 3 - given the highlight of how safe Tesla's are.... but still can't wait for it to arrive!

I would also like to see TACC as a seperate option for 1k or less iso having it “bundled” with AP only. Now that Tesla is offering more option packages for the performance model 3 it might also be time for Tesla to do the same for the standard models, starting with TACC as a seperate option