Switching wheels from 18's to 19's

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After 20 million years we finally got around to switching our aeros 18's for the stiletto 19's. Once the wheels were on, we drove around the block so the sensors could calibrate. The car detected that the wheels had changed and asked us to confirm the new size (choice of 18, 19, or 20) and reset the TPMS. Easy peasy.

I've only driven a couple dozen miles on the new wheels but so far my observations are:

Ride quality: firmer than the 18s, definitely can feel the road more (I run 42psi for 19's, 45psi for 18's).

Handling: seems a bit more grippy especially around corners

Looks: yeah... the 19s just do look better IMO. It gives the car more presence. :)

Efficiency: I got 248wH/mi on the commute today, but that had some spirited driving and the heaters blasting. Normally with sedate driving and no AC/heaters I get 224wH/mi on the 18s.

I have a trip meter that recorded ~1,900 miles/480kWh/249 wH/mi in varied conditions so that will be my benchmark for the 18s vs. 19s. Not very scientific but I figured long term data is good.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some pics:

Maybe we should just run 19s in the back and 18s in the front? :)
d469b9b6-d9f8-4cd3-bf19-9b22436ea178-jpeg.7987

So much silver!
f5a0705e-eed1-45e6-8914-e40a07934288-jpeg.7988

TPMS reset after a short drive (less than a mile). Too bad I didn't get a pic of the actual "select tires" message.
9e210fbe-f82c-4c90-a15c-1ef415f1f728-jpeg.7990

The 18s get tucked into their tire totes and easily fit in the trunk + backseat.

8bd8db40-8317-413c-8a18-ece7776fed08-jpeg.7991

Last edited:

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a trip meter that recorded ~1,900 miles/480kWh/249 wH/mi in varied conditions so that will be my benchmark for the 18s vs. 19s. Not very scientific but I figured long term data is good.
Nice!! I've been waiting for someone to do this... The few "more scientific" comparisons that have been done so far have been for a single drive over relatively short distances, with a focus on ensuring the uniformity of the test conditions. As informative and intriguing as those experiments are, I'm also interested in the bigger picture: for the same driver and same car, what is the difference over thousands of miles and a variety of conditions if only the wheels change? Enquiring minds want to know! (Or maybe just mine... :rolleyes:)

I'm also curious...now that you have your 18s tucked away in totes, what are you plans for them?

Last edited:

sclyde

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I never had 18s to compare to, but I have about 750 miles on the 19” sports. Maintaining 240 Wh/mile so far. Probably 70/30 city/highway driving. That’s with random sprints of acceleration, constant A/C and/or seat heaters. Curious to see how they fare on a road trip, but I suspect well enough. Very glad I decided to go with the 19s at the last minute. They look amazing on Silver Metalic; @Andy M was spot on.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks great. I have a silver coming and got the 18's even though I'm sure in person I would prefer the 19's(Still haven't seen a Model 3 in the wild?!?!?). Had instant regret but I plan on getting snow tires so I need a second set of wheels anyway. I am peace with the decision. Curious where you got the 19's though? It looks like they only sell them with snow tires online.

sclyde

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I dunno...I'm definitely leaning Silver at this point, but am loving the body color Silver aeros!

Saw this on Twitter the other day. I’ll admit, the aeros look quite good like this. Personally have not found normal aeros very attractive with or without the cover, but this is certainly acceptable.