Swamp Thing, water settling in door after rain

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Its been raining in NY on and off all summer and I've noticed that after it rains, I wake up the next morning open the rear driver side door and a pool of water dumps out on the floor. The inside of the car doesn't appear wet or even humid and as far as I can tell it only seem to be occurring on the driver side rear door which tells me there could be some type of alignment / gasket issue. The amount of water it collects is also pretty significant I'd say its about the quantity of a can of soda. Has anyone else experienced this?

Magnets!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, has happened to me after every rain. Passenger rear door only it seems. Good to hear above that replacing the door seal fixes it. I've examined the seals closely and can't see anything wrong with mine, but I do think the latch could be adjusted in a slight bit more but not sure if that would make a difference on the water.

Magnets!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Took a closer look at the door seals on my door which traps water and I may have found the offender and a quick fix. Take a look at the door seal right below the window...the seal is pulled out of place. On the other side, the seal is tucked under the glass. Very simple to tuck the seal back in place. Will have to wait for the next rain or car wash to see if this does the trick. This is passenger side rear door.

uwog7kzxtka3vq62jovdxw-jpg.20526

Magnets!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No water trapped in door after today's rain so hoping that tucking this seal back in place was the fix.
So I washed the car today and sorry to report that there was water trapped between the seals that poured out when I opened the door. So I guess the recent rain wasn't sufficient enough to trap the water. I don't use a pressure washer and was careful to not focus a strong stream anywhere near the window seals. One more thing I'm going to try is to tighten the latch a tad bit...that door sticks out a small amount and by tightening the latch the seals will be tighter. Will report back.

Country
Country
I did some testing today, water is entering the rear area of the door by the triangle area.

waterm3-png.20758

But I found that if I do a gentle 10 second spray on either side and immediately open the door the following happens

Passenger side: "bucket of water"
Driver side: "cup of water"

So both sides have water entering from a similar area (maybe one more than the other, hard to tell), but if I wait 10 seconds after spraying the driver side will drain on it's own and when you open the door it will not pour out. The passenger side does not drain, so after waiting a minute it still dumps a "bucket of water".

Visually the seal on both sides look similar (both near the triangle and at the bottom of the door).

So while the passenger side may be letting more water in, it appears the bigger issue is that it is not draining from the bottom as the water that enters the driver's side does.

Won't take it in any time soon since I keep it in the garage, but have an eye on this thread for possible fixes.

Magnets!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did some testing today, water is entering the rear area of the door by the triangle area.

View attachment 20758

But I found that if I do a gentle 10 second spray on either side and immediately open the door the following happens

Passenger side: "bucket of water"
Driver side: "cup of water"

So both sides have water entering from a similar area (maybe one more than the other, hard to tell), but if I wait 10 seconds after spraying the driver side will drain on it's own and when you open the door it will not pour out. The passenger side does not drain, so after waiting a minute it still dumps a "bucket of water".

Visually the seal on both sides look similar (both near the triangle and at the bottom of the door).

So while the passenger side may be letting more water in, it appears the bigger issue is that it is not draining from the bottom as the water that enters the driver's side does.

Won't take it in any time soon since I keep it in the garage, but have an eye on this thread for possible fixes.
Thanks for the analysis...that's the area I was focusing on as well. By chance does your passenger door stick out a slight amount? As if the latch is not properly adjusted? Mine does.

Country
Country
Thanks for the analysis...that's the area I was focusing on as well. By chance does your passenger door stick out a slight amount? As if the latch is not properly adjusted? Mine does.
It is slightly different. The problematic side there is a wider panel gap at the top rear (meaning more water could get in) and it is also more pushed in (so maybe pinching the drain holes more completely). The properly draining side the door is slightly ajar vs pushed in.

Magnets!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok, so I finally spent some time to adjust the latch on the door that accumulates water. The Torx fasteners were very loose on the latch which surprised me. I moved the latch in a slight amount and retightened which will press the seal a bit tighter so we'll see if this fixes the water accumulation between the seals. By the way does anyone know the proper torque for the latch fasteners?

Magnets!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A quick update. We got rain here today and unfortunately water still collects in the passenger rear door so my thoughts about the latch being incorrectly adjusted resulting in water intrusion is not accurate. I guess I'll wait for the badges and spoilers to be ready and then have the seal replaced by the SC which seems to have worked for others. I have no other service needs! Car has been great.