Suspension Noise Help

P-Lo801

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey everyone. I noticed that my car started making this weird suspension noise a couple of weeks ago whenever I go over speed bumps or other rounded rough/uneven surfaces on the road on low/moderate speed; it's not as pronounced the faster I go, but it's definitely still there. I think it's mainly coming from the front, but it especially gets louder when I have more than just myself riding in the car.

I attached these recordings that show me going over some speed bumps. But as mentioned above, it also makes this noise when going over rough, uneven surfaces.

It didn't make this sound until after I installed MPP Comfort Coilovers a little over two weeks ago. I'm waiting to hear back from them about this noise. Until then, I wanted to get people's take on it for any ideas about what the noise could be.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It might actually be the headlight.

I think I figured it out. I was cleaning up my car after Austin had some crazy storms this weekend (the oak tree pollen all dumped at once) and was really trying to figure out why my car, and others I've driven, seem to have an overly-noisy front suspension when going over smaller/sharper bumps.....and so I took my fist and starting lightly tapping on the bumper and front panels.

As soon as I tapped near the driver's side headlight, the entire headlight housing rattled. LOUD. It sounded exactly like what I was hearing while driving. I then tried the passenger side, which rattled but not as easily - it took a harder tap. This made sense as I always told Tesla that the sound seemed to mostly come from the driver's side, sometimes the passenger side.

I have an appointment on the 22nd to show them the root cause, and am about 90% certain this is the culprit.

Also, every Model 3 I've driven, be it a friend's that was made in 2018 to a brand new MR at the service center, exhibited this rattle I hear. You might want to test it yourself by using your fist to lightly tap on and around the light housing and see if it rattles. You'll know quickly as it rattles quite easily for me.

See above - it seems to be the headlights. You also had your car delivered August 2018, same as me. I wonder if the updated headlight housing isn't as snug as the original or something like that. Either way, I think this is it. Try some of my suggestions mentioned above.

Brentt

Hey everyone. I noticed that my car started making this weird suspension noise a couple of weeks ago whenever I go over speed bumps or other rounded rough/uneven surfaces on the road on low/moderate speed; it's not as pronounced the faster I go, but it's definitely still there. I think it's mainly coming from the front, but it especially gets louder when I have more than just myself riding in the car.

I attached these recordings that show me going over some speed bumps. But as mentioned above, it also makes this noise when going over rough, uneven surfaces.

It didn't make this sound until after I installed MPP Comfort Coilovers a little over two weeks ago. I'm waiting to hear back from them about this noise. Until then, I wanted to get people's take on it for any ideas about what the noise could be.

What did you find out? My car has 46k miles and the ball joints are going out. Mobile service has parts on order, but hasn’t scheduled a time for replacement yet.

Williestl

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Brentt,
I had what I thought was front suspension noise. Started out small. Over time got worse. Took it in for service and they replace the front ball joint! Not a great thing for a 12000 mile car. But noise is now gone.

Brentt

Brentt,
I had what I thought was front suspension noise. Started out small. Over time got worse. Took it in for service and they replace the front ball joint! Not a great thing for a 12000 mile car. But noise is now gone.
Did they replace both right and left side? My right is definitely bad, but I can’t tell about the left. My nearest service center is four hours away in Kansas City. I’m not sure how mobile service will handle re-alignment

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did they replace both right and left side? My right is definitely bad, but I can’t tell about the left. My nearest service center is four hours away in Kansas City. I’m not sure how mobile service will handle re-alignment
They will have to replace your upper control arm, which doesn't have any alignment adjustments. I would imagine no alignment is required when swapping with another stock control arm.

Brentt

They will have to replace your upper control arm, which doesn't have any alignment adjustments. I would imagine no alignment is required when swapping with another stock control arm.
Thanks. Mobile contacted me and said the car would need to go to the service center. I’m not sure if it’s due to the control arm failure, or the fact the right rear door won’t open.

Williestl

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I honestly do not know if they replaced both left and right ball joints. Meant to ask, but never did. I was told by mobile service in St. Louis that it would have to in as well.

Brentt

Update: Mobile service came this weekend and replaced both control arms and the squeak is gone :) The new arms are a little different so it appears there may have been an issue with early builds. Min is in the 17XXX range