Survey: Now that it's been a while, does anyone actually use Smart Summon?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Do you use smart summon for practical purposes?

• Total voters

RickO2018

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I use it rarely since having a clear view of the car is important and rare. Tried to use it recently during a rain storm to pick up my party at a restaurant door, and it made it part way before reporting the visibility (due to rain and darkness) was too poor.

pdp1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just use it for fun when I leave late from work and there are very few cars left in the parking lot. The other day I tried it for the 3rd time (total) and I realized smart summon doesn't allow the car to go far enough (max 200ft, was this added recently?) to traverse two aisle lengths, down one aisle and back up another, to get the car to me outside the door to my office building. We have one way aisles in the parking lot and the one I park in is oriented away from my building. Anyway, my car just stopped in the middle of the aisle coming back to me and I had to walk out to the car anyway. It also seemed a lot more cautious this time around compared to the previous two attempts (with older firmware).

DocScott

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just use it for fun when I leave late from work and there are very few cars left in the parking lot. The other day I tried it for the 3rd time (total) and I realized smart summon doesn't allow the car to go far enough (max 200ft, was this added recently?) to traverse two aisle lengths, down one aisle and back up another, to get the car to me outside the door to my office building. We have one way aisles in the parking lot and the one I park in is oriented away from my building. Anyway, my car just stopped in the middle of the aisle coming back to me and I had to walk out to the car anyway. It also seemed a lot more cautious this time around compared to the previous two attempts (with older firmware).
Does that mean it knew which way was the right way to drive down those aisles? That's new!

Mosess

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I use it fairly regularly. Especially when I'm with my wife someplace and it's raining (Atlanta has been a rainforest lately) and we don't feel like getting soaked. I find it very useful and practical. Yes it is slower than a human driving, but that's because it is being more cautious which is a good thing.
Overall, it is a feature that as it gets improved will become more and more useful with time as it gains more experience and moves the car as fast a human would without the mistakes that humans make. If Tesla wanted to sell it as an add-on, I would price this feature alone at $1-2k and at such price most would buy it to eventually upgrade to it.

pdp1

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does that mean it knew which way was the right way to drive down those aisles? That's new!
That's a good point, I never really thought about how it knows which direction it can/needs to go down a parking aisle, but smart summon has always known in the 3 times I've used it. I'm guessing it sees the orientation/angle of the car while parked compared to the direction of the aisle and just assumes to go the direction where it doesn't need to turn the wheel too far when backing out. But then that also begs the question, what if you're parked backwards, i.e. front of car is facing out?

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's a good point, I never really thought about how it knows which direction it can/needs to go down a parking aisle, but smart summon has always known in the 3 times I've used it. I'm guessing it sees the orientation/angle of the car while parked compared to the direction of the aisle and just assumes to go the direction where it doesn't need to turn the wheel too far when backing out. But then that also begs the question, what if you're parked backwards, i.e. front of car is facing out?
I’ve heard it said that it uses Open Street Map data (which has detailed maps of parking lots, including the direction of lanes and location of obstacles).