Survey: Now that it's been a while, does anyone actually use Smart Summon?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Do you use smart summon for practical purposes?

• Total voters

gary in NY

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I tried it once at home on my long winding driveway and it was all over the place. While turning around it ran over a small pile of stones off the driveway I didn’t see from my vantage point. Fortunately, that didn’t do any damage that I could see, but that was enough for me. I do use summon pretty regularly to move the car out of the garage though. But it will not pull back in.

Spiffywerks

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I only ever use “Come to me” as I’m walking towards it. The range limit on smart summon is about 30 seconds walking distance, which is really useless because it takes longer for the car to pull out of the stall and get going before I could walk to the car.

If I could be in my office, getting ready to head out, use smart summon so it’s waiting by the exit of the building, then it might actually be useful. For now, completely a gimmick that turns some heads, but that’s all. Plus it doesn’t drive on the correct side of a lane when moving. It’s too “dumb” in its current state.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The novelty wore off and now I only need it should a “real” need arise. One good use case was when I parked far away at a mall. When I went in the sun was out. When I came out it was dark out, the parking lot wasn’t well lit, and it was especially dark by my car. I summoned it to me where I hopped in quickly and drove off.

JDM3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I experimented with it awhile back in an almost empty parking lot. There were two cars. I assumed the car would take a more direct route to me and avoid the parked cars, but for some reason it decided to drive by and through the two parked cars. Made me too nervous, haven't tried it since.

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I try it out every so often just to see if it's gotten any better. I don't trust it so I'm always nearby making sure I can see whatever it is doing. I even go as far as making sure there are no other cars coming down the parking aisle at the time.

For my it is totally hit or miss if it comes toward me or turns away. (come to me or goto target. I've learned goto target is much better for me)

All of the time it is faster just to walk to the car, but it isn't nearly as cool as watching your car drive up to you.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
After learning that it only worked, semi-reliably, if I left it in standby mode (which uses more energy while parked), I haven't bothered trying it since the early days except for one time. When I came out of a meeting to find pouring rain and a mostly empty parking lot, I tried using summon without having left it in standby. Couldn't use, obviously, the come to me option but using the go to location method was pretty bad.

The car started out okay by (unnecessarily) backing out of its parking space but then (illogically) drove through the parking space lines. Once it was in the lane it passed the turn to the front of the building and pulled to an area which was close enough to the feeder road that it thought it was on a public street and stopped. I had to use basic summon to back it up then, once it considered itself in the parking lot (just 3 feet), I tried smart summon again.

It turned itself around and went against the flow of traffic defined by the angled parking spaces then pulled through the middle of the spaces to face me and the building directly (very close to the only other vehicle in the lot so I had to stop it). Ultimately, I probably walked in the rain as much as I would've had I just gone to the spot where I'd parked. I don't know if that parking lot is well defined in whatever reference smart summon uses but it sure would be nice if, should some details be missing from its database, the system might ask for direction of flow information before commencing movement.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I tried it and got lucky that it didn't crash. Haven't used it since. It's particularly dangerous for me at work since I park under a carport right next to a pole, which I understand would be completely blind to the car. So a good chance the car might try to turn out of the spot (there are no cars either side of me usually) and crunch the pole.

Not worth staying dry!

Of course, I could back it straight out into the parking lot using regular summon, then run advanced summon. But that seems like more hassle than it's worth, unless it's absolutely pouring down.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I tried it and got lucky that it didn't crash. Haven't used it since. It's particularly dangerous for me at work since I park under a carport right next to a pole, which I understand would be completely blind to the car. So a good chance the car might try to turn out of the spot (there are no cars either side of me usually) and crunch the pole.

Not worth staying dry!

Of course, I could back it straight out into the parking lot using regular summon, then run advanced summon. But that seems like more hassle than it's worth, unless it's absolutely pouring down.
I hear that. I’ve had similar worries (and complications) related to that. Perhaps we need to spend more time near our vehicles during those kinds of Smart Summon events to verify the car is backing straight out.

WonkoTheSane

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I use it at work probably once a week. I have to be careful where I park so it doesn't get confused. Getting the HW3 upgrade on Monday the 3rd, we will see if that helps it.

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I don't trust it enough yet. Considering the bad decisions NoAP still makes, I probably won't try it any time soon.

ateslik

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
hell to the no. I’m a quick learner and only needed expensive body damage on my car one time to decide that beta features are not for me.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've used it three times- once as an experiment, and twice to actually use it. Only in abandoned lots, and there it worked pretty well. I've also use the Summon to move the car enough to raise the tire valve to the top of the wheel, because I'm lazy, and there's always that question about whether I'll be able to get back up or not.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've only tried out smart summon a couple times, last was in a nearly empty parking lot to show a co-worker. it was a pretty big fail with the car very indecisive.
here's the view from the car's cameras up until we gave up on it figuring out what it was scared of.

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well I went to try it out with the new software yesterday.
Car started up smart summon, put the car in reverse.. moved back a couple feet and stopped... Thank god.
I backed into the spot, and what was behind the car was bushes and a ~50ft hill.
So for some reason the location part of the app showed my car heading correctly, but the summon part showed the car the wrong way.

At least the car stopped because it was "waiting for path to clear" due to the bushes behind the car.

I tried to help it by using normal summon and making it go forward out of the spot, and tried smart summon again. But it threw it back into reverse and started to back up into the spot again. At that point I called it..

styleruk

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Never use it for practical purpose. Occasionally check to see if it actually has improved, but I normally stand next to the car like a plum listening to my Tesla wind on and off the handbrake, flash it's lights and then occasionally moving a few inches. Gee, wow, what a feature.
So no, not for practical reasons ever.
In UK, you have to stand within 6metres or feet and you can ask it to come to you....what? complete tosh. So I await the day when the legal twats stop resisting and allow the car to do what it can.

Daryl

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Used once in the rain to bring the car to the curb. Used occasionally just for fun.

As someone else mentioned, it has a weird tendency to back up first, even when it can pull straight forward and get to me easily.

Slow, hesitant. Still needs work, but better too slow than too reckless!

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I tried to help it by using normal summon and making it go forward out of the spot, and tried smart summon again. But it threw it back into reverse and started to back up into the spot again. At that point I called it..
OK! It needs to backed up to either another vehicle, base of a parking lot light, rear curb, or a building wall.

Looking forward to the retest.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: