Survey: Now that it's been a while, does anyone actually use Smart Summon?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Do you use smart summon for practical purposes?

• Total voters

potatoee

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have never been inclined to use Smart Summon aside from using it as a plaything. Anyone out there using it for practical purposes?

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I do occasionally use it, but I don't really think it's any better than the alternative of just walking to the car (unless it's pouring rain). By the time you get the app to respond, get within range and fiddle with the controls to set a reasonable target, you usually could be at the car.

I did very successfully use it once while at a restaurant. We were at the window so I had a great view of the car and the lot and I summoned it over to the curb and then went out to hop in.

Again, this is still early days. By using it like this, hopefully we are helping to train it to get better. Obviously the real use of this will be when it can drop you off, go find a parking spot, and then come and pick you up automatically, without the need to be within 200 feet and watching it like a hawk. Not that we are there yet, but hopefully someday.

I came somewhat late to the Tesla party, but not late enough to recall that while on Autopilot, I was responsible for checking behind me and to the side before initiating a lane change. In hindsight that seems really primitive now compared to the whole Navigate on Autopilot capability. In a couple of years I am hoping we can look back at today's Smart Summon in a similar way.

kuzzy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Occasionally. Still don't trust it in a busy or crowded parking lot. It did come in handy when my wife had sprained her ankle pretty badly. At least she did not have to walk so far to the car but I could have just as easily gone and got the care and picked her up. It is just too slow for the distance you can use it at to make it worthwhile, it is faster to walk and better for you :)

evannole

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I tried it once, in the rain, at night, in a fairly empty Whole Foods parking lot. It tried to take a very strange route through a row of parking spaces that had a few empty spots. That seemed unwise to me, so I abandoned the effort. Unfortunately, where I had it quit made it look like I had parked across two spots, and even though the lot was quite empty, a jerk in a giant pickup truck took it upon himself to yell at me very aggressively for that as we were loading our groceries into the trunk. I have not tried Smart Summon since.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If it worked better, I’d use it occasionally. As it Is now, I’ve never used it for any practical purpose and I’ve never even shown it to another person. I do experiment with it several times a week in my work parking lot. I find it usually fails completely, and even when it does work it drives like it’s drunk.

I do use regular Summon in my driveway on a daily basis. I find that feature very useful for tight parking situations. Best use ever was sitting at a sidewalk cafe and moving my car forward so the car parallel parked behind me could easily get out of a tight spot.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tried it once. Thought it was EXTREMELY erratic & dangerous and have not revisited since.
Depending on how early on it was, you might want to give it another shot. It has improved. It also now shows you the route the car plans to take so you can decide whether it's going to do the right thing or not before you actually do anything.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have never been inclined to use Smart Summon aside from using it as a plaything. Anyone out there using it for practical purposes?
I use it as much as possible to have it learn - I park right at the absolute edge of its range and usually start the summon as I'm walking out of the office. It meets me halfway and often coworkers/bystanders freak out that my car is running away.
basically...I use it as much to troll people as to make it better.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t get to use it regularly as I’m often in locations that are kind of busy, small, or without cellular coverage. But I’ve had it meet me (and some equipment) near the door of a friend’s apartment due to it being in a residential parking lot.

sduck

Country
Country
I have never once used it. I considered trying it if I could find an appropriate place to test it, but found more interesting things to do instead.

Sjohnson20

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I haven’t used it for any good reason other than to see what it does and show other people.

It takes so long to get the app open, get it warmed up, then have it start coming to you.