Surprised by plug type on Tesla destination charger!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

EVmatch: the Airbnb of EV charging.

RickO2018

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I recently noticed a change to my favorite destination chargers - a Type 1 J1772 plug on a Tesla Charger! I was under the impression that all Tesla chargers would have to have the Tesla connector. Are the owners of destination chargers allowed to change out the cable interface? Now I have to pull out my J1772 adapter to use a Tesla L2 charger!

3/3: Added pic below. I also noted the cable is lower gauge as well. Not sure how charging speed will now be affected by using this charger with my adaptor
. IMG_6002.jpeg

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Tesla has long offered a choice of Tesla or J1772 plugs for companies that sign up for their destination charging program.
I'm not sure why they don't offer the same choice for residential sales.

• Agree
Reactions: JWardell

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I do but will have to reduce size. Cable gauge is also much smaller than Tesla standard.

well i think that @garsh sussed the answer in that signing up for the destination charging program gets you the option of j1772 or tesla.

If that had been an option for residential purchasers of wall chargers I know that I would have gotten a tesla wall charger instead of a juicebox. Once again, Tesla's inability to provide charging standard options for customers leads them to losing a sale. Specifically I am referring to the lack of CCS adapter which is taking me away from the Y and to an XC40 or ioniq5 (when it arrives) or polestar 3 (when it arrives).

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
well i think that @garsh sussed the answer in that signing up for the destination charging program gets you the option of j1772 or tesla.

If that had been an option for residential purchasers of wall chargers I know that I would have gotten a tesla wall charger instead of a juicebox. Once again, Tesla's inability to provide charging standard options for customers leads them to losing a sale. Specifically I am referring to the lack of CCS adapter which is taking me away from the Y and to an XC40 or ioniq5 (when it arrives) or polestar 3 (when it arrives).
So truly you are saying the type of charging plug they have from the factory is why you are not purchasing the Y?

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
not quite, i'd be happy with a CCS adapter

For the purpose of the second car (currently XC60 plug in hybrid), i want fast DC charging capability that is not tesla supercharger. For work and pleasure I will be travelling in areas of BC where there are no superchargers, but there are DC fast chargers, both CHAdemo and CCS. If the Y had a CCS adapter it would work for me. but right now, I cannot take the car more than 200km north of Coombs on the island or 200km past Kamloops or Meritt in the interiour. Even Tofino on the island would be tight.

Those areas have lots of level 3 fast chargers from BCHydro, fortis and maybe even PetroCanada. And the BCHydro are free ....

That adapter is the final checkbox on the Y.

• Informative
Reactions: garsh

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So truly you are saying the type of charging plug they have from the factory is why you are not purchasing the Y?
Basically, he lives in an area where the CCS infrastructure is better than the Tesla Supercharger infrastructure.
Tesla should fix that. :)

The fast-charging infrastructure is probably the main reason why I plan to stick with Tesla for the forseeable future. But it looks like I won't be able to visit some parts of BC until Tesla adds more supercharging locations.

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The fast-charging infrastructure is probably the main reason why I plan to stick with Tesla for the foreseeable future. But it looks like I won't be able to visit some parts of BC until Tesla adds more supercharging locations.

Canada is an interesting huddle along the 49th. I'm one to talk, living only 14 minutes from the border myself. Tesla focusing on putting chargers along our one and only version of an interstates (aka "Hwy 1") from coast to coast makes sense. but it does leave out swaths of the country that still have people and communities and a need to travel up there.

Reactions: garsh