Surge Protection

Groveite

Country
Country
I am wondering if anyone has added a "whole House" surge protector in an effort to save the car from a surge which might damage the on board charger? I intend to use the NEMA 14-30 in my garage with the appropriate adaptor.

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have installed the Eaton panel protection. It requires a 240V 50A breaker so two breaker positions. There are also solutions that mount in the panel in place of the breakers and provide whole panel protection but it has to fit your panel.

Amazon product

• Informative
Reactions: garsh

Groveite

Country
Country
I have installed the Eaton panel protection. It requires a 240V 50A breaker so two breaker positions. There are also solutions that mount in the panel in place of the breakers and provide whole panel protection but it has to fit your panel.

Amazon product
I will look into that. I have a 200 amp panel (Stabloc which I wish were Square D but...) and a generator panel which feeds most of the house excluding the 40 amp garage service so will have to find if they make one and if it would interfere with the gennie panel. I may have lots of time as my Delivery date which was consistently March has jumped to June!

JasonF

Legendary Member 🏆
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I will look into that. I have a 200 amp panel (Stabloc which I wish were Square D but...) and a generator panel which feeds most of the house excluding the 40 amp garage service so will have to find if they make one and if it would interfere with the gennie panel. I may have lots of time as my Delivery date which was consistently March has jumped to June!

Before adding more amps to that panel, make sure your Stabloc isn't the older kind that can get stuck open and cause a fire. There might be retrofit breakers available that don't have that issue, but I'm not certain about that.

As for surge protection, while some protection is better than none, the circuit panel protection is very limited in what it can do. The best kind of surge protection is installed either inside the meter box (by the power company) or between the meter and main circuit breaker.

Groveite

Country
Country
Before adding more amps to that panel, make sure your Stabloc isn't the older kind that can get stuck open and cause a fire. There might be retrofit breakers available that don't have that issue, but I'm not certain about that.

As for surge protection, while some protection is better than none, the circuit panel protection is very limited in what it can do. The best kind of surge protection is installed either inside the meter box (by the power company) or between the meter and main circuit breaker.
Fortunately mine is the Canadian version that differs from the problematic ones...Their biggest problem here was a recall on the arc detect breakers that are required for bedrooms. I still wish I had spec'd Square D when we built but hindsight is always 20/20