Support for Playing Audio Files from Phone

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On my Ford Escape I plug my iPhone into the audio USB in the center console to charge and to play my songs on the car radio. Will I be able to do the same with my phone plugged into the dock?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On my Ford Escape I plug my iPhone into the audio USB in the center console to charge and to play my songs on the car radio. Will I be able to do the same with my phone plugged into the dock?
once a phone is plugged in, this icon on the bottom dock is activated (when no phone is plugged in it is grayed out) where you then will be able to use it as a music choice
screen-shot-2017-08-20-at-3-45-33-pm-png.3014

and here's a video of the Model S media player

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes. Tesla has a "blind holster" option you can get on the S and X but I think it's part of the premium package. No need to get that, I've seen on YouTube how you can add the required USB cable very easily.

Edit: here's the video

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
once a phone is plugged in, this icon on the bottom dock is activated (when no phone is plugged in it is grayed out) where you then will be able to use it as a music choice
View attachment 3014

and here's a video of the Model S media player
Yes. Tesla has a "blind holster" option you can get on the S and X but I think it's part of the premium package. No need to get that, I've seen on YouTube how you can add the required USB cable very easily.

Edit: here's the video

Thanks guys. Appreciate it. I should have said in relation to M3 as that's what I'm getting. Sounds like it will be easy.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
True, thanks. Like the combo of charging and listening at the same time through one cable.
Well on a technicality... you can still charge and listen with one cable since the listening will be wireless ;)

Also on the plus side for Bluetooth audio ... if you need to remove the phone from the dock you don't suddenly lose your music.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also, being that you'll primarily be using your phone's Bluetooth connectivity to drive/lock/unlock your car, it'll probably be faster to just use Bluetooth. Just plug your phone in to charge as needed.
For me it's a catch 22.

The nice thing about Bluetooth audio is that picking up your phone won't cut the music.

The bad thing about Bluetooth audio is that there are no repercussions for picking up my phone.

Since I have a bad habit, the connected USB audio should help alleviate that.

I'll test both though and see how it goes.

ReD eXiLe

Country
Country
@SoFlaModel3 -- Wait... When connected via Bluetooth for listening to Media, wouldn't the audio for that pause the playing track when you answer the phone, via Bluetooth, to listen/respond over the stereo system to your incoming phone call? Why would you pick up the handset?

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@SoFlaModel3 -- Wait... When connected via Bluetooth for listening to Media, wouldn't the audio for that pause the playing track when you answer the phone, via Bluetooth, to listen/respond over the stereo system to your incoming phone call? Why would you pick up the handset?
Yes, sorry I meant the literal pick up. Like I physically pick up the phone to look at something. Since it's docked the cord isn't going with it and your music would stop.

Charlie W

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have an audio question for my fortunate Model 3 owning friends. (I still await my invite ... but it'll come eventually): I don't store music on my iPhone. Instead, I keep a few hundred songs on a USB flash drive and use that as the music source in my Prius. Can you speak a command and ask for a certain song to play? For example, can you push the scroll-wheel button and say, "Elon, play from my USB, 'One Piece At A Time' by Johnny Cash'" (assuming, of course, that song/file is on the USB stick)? And will he find and play it?

Thanks for this and all the info. help you've been giving those of us who are living the Model 3 dream thru you ... so far! We're so happy for you ... and jelly ... with bacon on all the seats.

~Charlie W

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For example, can you push the scroll-wheel button and say, "Elon, play from my USB, 'One Piece At A Time' by Johnny Cash'" (assuming, of course, that song/file is on the USB stick)? And will he find and play it?
That would play it from Stitcher/streaming, but do not think the voice commands will dig into the USB drive. you'd have to manually browse to it.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have an audio question for my fortunate Model 3 owning friends. (I still await my invite ... but it'll come eventually): I don't store music on my iPhone. Instead, I keep a few hundred songs on a USB flash drive and use that as the music source in my Prius. Can you speak a command and ask for a certain song to play? For example, can you push the scroll-wheel button and say, "Elon, play from my USB, 'One Piece At A Time' by Johnny Cash'" (assuming, of course, that song/file is on the USB stick)? And will he find and play it?

Thanks for this and all the info. help you've been giving those of us who are living the Model 3 dream thru you ... so far! We're so happy for you ... and jelly ... with bacon on all the seats.

~Charlie W
I know this isn't the answer though @MelindaV did provide it. Question for you -- why not have music on your iPhone? "Hey Siri, play Red Hot Chili Peppers". Done!