Supercharging Specifics?

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Has anyone heard any specifics regarding the Supercharging for Model 3? Will we get the 400kW free that Model S and X get? Will it be strictly pay per use? I hadn't heard anything one way or another.

Dan

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone heard any specifics regarding the Supercharging for Model 3? Will we get the 400kW free that Model S and X get? Will it be strictly pay per use? I hadn't heard anything one way or another.

Dan
Dan we haven't heard yet.

We also don't know the "special something" for line waiters which many speculate (myself included) that could be tied to supercharging.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Michel Zehnder

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don't forget they are still in anti-sell mode. I suspect big changes coming to the Model 3 sub page soon!
It's not anti-sell, it's up-sell. It's what basically everyone does, they just found a favorable name for it.
However, I wouldn't hold my breath for large changes TBH. Also keeps me from getting over excited and being disappointed when it doesn't happen (I'm looking at you, HUD!)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's not anti-sell, it's up-sell. It's what basically everyone does, they just found a favorable name for it.
However, I wouldn't hold my breath for large changes TBH. Also keeps me from getting over excited and being disappointed when it doesn't happen (I'm looking at you, HUD!)
I agree with you mostly though I still wouldn't be surprised by a little free supercharging thrown at the 3 each year with your credit card on file for charging in excess. I'm not worried if I'm wrong my long distance travel is infrequent and paying for a super charger is much cheaper than the equivalent gas for the same road trip.

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Looks like they've updated the article with an "official" answer straight from Tesla:
Well, bummer. Kind of disappointed but not really surprised. Assuming they will use the same charge rates they are now using with Model S and X, It's still a great deal over buying gas. It will be interesting to plan out some hypothetical trips to compare what it would be with a Model 3 vs. with my wife's Sonata Hybrid. Thanks for the update.

By the way, anybody have a link to the current charges Tesla is using for the S and X for Supercharging?

Thanks,

Dan

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, bummer. Kind of disappointed but not really surprised. Assuming they will use the same charge rates they are now using with Model S and X, It's still a great deal over buying gas. It will be interesting to plan out some hypothetical trips to compare what it would be with a Model 3 vs. with my wife's Sonata Hybrid. Thanks for the update.

By the way, anybody have a link to the current charges Tesla is using for the S and X for Supercharging?

Thanks,

Dan
It’s somewhat hidden on this page. (if you need to find it, it’s linked about half way down the tesla.com/charging page under the Supercharger pix with text saying ‘learn more’)
https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging

Pick the Supercharger location from the pull down to see its local rate.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
And how many KwH were the battery packs in the different packages again? 55 and 70?
Tesla is not disclosing the battery capacities, just standard range and long range. The speculation is +/-55 and +/-75.

SSonnentag

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
So with the LR battery, assuming 75kWh and a charge rate of 170 miles/30 minutes, is it safe to assume that the car can be charged from flat to 100% in an hour? Just trying to get a handle on the cost per minute vs cost per kWh.

Assuming a 75 kWh battery and a peak charging rate of 170 mph, this with his would equate to 1.37 kWh per minute. The Arizona charging rate of $.08/minute would equate to $.0584 per kWh, quite the bargain when compared to California's $.20 per kWh rate.

Last edited:

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
So with the LR battery, assuming 75kWh and a charge rate of 170 miles/30 minutes, is it safe to assume that the car can be charged from flat to 100% in an hour? Just trying to get a handle on the cost per minute vs cost per kWh.

Assuming a 75 kWh battery and a peak charging rate of 170 mph, this with his would equate to 1.37 kWh per minute. The Arizona charging rate of $.08/minute would equate to $.0584 per kWh, quite the bargain when compared to California's $.20 per kWh rate.
Ish. It depends on a lot of factors. The Supercharger could be delivering 61kWh, 120kWh, or anything in between. It could be hot or cold. There could be someone parked next to you. I guess you could run the numbers assuming a set of factors, but I think in reality it could vary greatly. It is odd that they charge using different metrics in different states though. If you're really curious, I'd run the trip on EV trip planner, then just use those numbers to calculate your cost with the Tesla rates. https://www.evtripplanner.com/

SSonnentag

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Ish. It depends on a lot of factors. The Supercharger could be delivering 61kWh, 120kWh, or anything in between. It could be hot or cold. There could be someone parked next to you. I guess you could run the numbers assuming a set of factors, but I think in reality it could vary greatly. It is odd that they charge using different metrics in different states though. If you're really curious, I'd run the trip on EV trip planner, then just use those numbers to calculate your cost with the Tesla rates. https://www.evtripplanner.com/
Yeah, it seems most of the states that I'll be traveling through charge by the minute. It's not nearly as clean for calculations as charging per kWh. Significantly cheaper though, as long as I don't charge above 80% and I get a high-amperage charger without sharing with somebody else. :D