Supercharging: Pricing Options?!?

Rick59

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I have no issue with the 400kWh free then $0.xx per kW plan (or per minute) personally. It actually is quite similar to what I may have suggested back a year ago when it was being debated if there would be a $2000 option to access the SCers or a pay per use sort of thing.
I just think dividing the fleet into Free for Life and Pay per Use by the model causes some superiority issues with some.
We're happy you're in our gang, Melinda.

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have no issue with the 400kWh free then $0.xx per kW plan (or per minute) personally. It actually is quite similar to what I may have suggested back a year ago when it was being debated if there would be a $2000 option to access the SCers or a pay per use sort of thing.
I just think dividing the fleet into Free for Life and Pay per Use by the model causes some superiority issues with some.
Having grown up in Southern California, I have always dealt with those misguided souls who think that their car IS their measure of value. Don't sweat the idiots. However, I don't think that this divide will last too long (included free charging on S and X vs. 3). Tesla will eventually go with its plan to charge everyone that purchases new. I'm obviously thrilled that any future S and X purchase for me will have included supercharging for "free" as a reward for being an early adopter, I'm not sure that I'll ever spend that kind of money on subsequent cars for as long as we still have our S operational.

I know of plenty S owners who are looking forward to their 3s.

Country
Country
Any sort of "pay per" model should be based on pay per kilowatt, not pay per minute of charging. Because charge rates vary, and if you're paying per kilowatt, then you know you're getting a solid, fixed amount of something per unit of cost. Seems better to me and eliminates complaints of getting stuck at a slow supercharger and paying the same amount as someone else gets at a fast one.

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Any sort of "pay per" model should be based on pay per kilowatt, not pay per minute of charging. Because charge rates vary, and if you're paying per kilowatt, then you know you're getting a solid, fixed amount of something per unit of cost. Seems better to me and eliminates complaints of getting stuck at a slow supercharger and paying the same amount as someone else gets at a fast one.
That is the preferred method for Tesla. However, local regulations may prevail and some locales require that anyone selling power "per kWh" be a regulated utility. This is why many charging networks are also set up to charge per hour, etc. (Also the reason why Tesla has the A and B charge rate to tackle this challenge. In an effort to be as equitable as possible.)

Badback

Valued Community Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I do feel (and have said something along this same line last year) that the Supercharging will end up feeling like a class separator and the S/X owners will see the lowly (funny autocorrect made that LOVELY - haha) Model 3 owners as less worthy of the network, even if the Model 3 owners are the ones paying per use AND outnumbering the S/X vehicles.
maybe I'm just preparing myself for the first time someone with a $140k vehicle looks down on my mere $50k vehicle...
When they are looking down their nose at your super cheap, but nonetheless lovely M3, slap them on the back of the head, thus propelling their proboscis into the object of their curiosity and disdain.