Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some data from my Fremont, CA to Council Bluffs, IA road trip in my Model 3.

1871 Total miles.
Deer carcus avoided at night with EAP: 1

This is truly an amazing car!!

Don't want to derail this thread, but you have a very interesting note in your post. How did EAP help avoid the deer carcus? Was it in the middle of the road and did EAP slow down/stop? Steer around it? Alert you and force you to take over? How did it handle it?

Reggie

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
After having driven a Model S for several weeks and are now just a few short weeks away from my M3, I can definitely see the need for local supercharging, especially here in DFW. I have had several days in which you are out and about and need to charge up quickly to keep moving. One of the reasons is because the amount of miles you can drive depends on how you drive. Some days can be more, others less. And with me driving to clients, that can be a bit in the area. Currently, there is just the one super charger in Arlington, but several more are on the way this year.

Now, to that extent, I am all for the super chargers having a fee. I don't mind paying a fee for the usage when I need to use one, which isn't every day, but on occasion. What would be nice, though, is that Tesla hurry up and release a CHAdeMO adapter for the M3 because at present, you can't use public DC chargers with the M3 (like you can with the S and X). I hear it will be soon, though.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just found this thread and only read the last 4 pages of it because anything before that was pure guessing about what Tesla would do before the car hit the streets.

I see a mixed bag here, but I hope Tesla never offers any free SC'ing for the 3 or any future car. While Tesla is going a great job with rolling out SC's there won't be enough of them in the next 5 years or more to handle the number of 3's and all Tesla's that are about to hit the road.

I'm already reading more horror stories about people blocking the charger and we know several months back Tesla has already taken action to help curb that.

If you can afford this car, install a charger and charge at home. I don't want to subsidize anyone else's charging nor people that think SC's are the only form of charge out there. I kind of get it on the S and X - there is so much profit, they should get some, but for the 3 - most profit should go into building the Charging Infrastructure, but the electricity should not be free. In fact I hope and figure the prices should be higher to discourage the local charging. I'm not a fan of geofencing, because everyone here knows there will be a day you and or I are caught just a few miles from home and must get just 10 minutes of charge to finish an errand or to just get home. I would expect to pay a premium for that, but otherwise the SC's should be for travelers. Not commercial and not for cheapskates that want a free ride.
Just to take the start of that last paragraph...

Anyone coming from a gas car or charging their EV at home can afford paid super charging.

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just to take the start of that last paragraph...

Anyone coming from a gas car or charging their EV at home can afford paid super charging.
It is funny what inconveniences people will put themselves through to get something for free.

When the Blink DCFC stations first came online around here, they were free of charge for a bit. I made use of them only when I forgot to plug in at night on a few occasions. I had to wait in line one time, because someone was admittedly making daily use of these quick charges "while it was free gas". I found it interesting that this person was taking at least 40 minutes out of their day to save the equivalent of <$2. I guess it adds up, and if you can get work done while charging... But I liked it better after they started charging for the service and I never had to wait again when I needed a quick charge in an emergency.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know the supercharging station in San Diego is always full cause people just pull up and sit in their cars until they're done charging. Definitely all locals.

Red Sage

The Cybernetic Samurai
Country
Country
Tesla is handling the fees applied to Supercharging, especially the idle fees, quite well in my opinion. I disagree with those predicting a Supercharger Apocalypse though, for the same reasons I always did: 1) Tesla isn't going to stop building Superchargers; and 2) We will not need Superchargers to become as ubiquitous as gas stations. I do believe that simply 'not costing as much as gas' is just as bad as the idea of 'spending less on gas'.