Supercharging (Model 3)> Free or Pay?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Is the new pay per use system fair?

• Yes

Votes: 82 81.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I would prefer to have free for life for x$

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • I won't use Superchargers much

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Okay, looks like gloves will be a thing........
Ah, this brings back memories of when I first got my Leaf.

Heated steering wheel is awesome, and I'm going to really miss it. But that's when I learned to wear a hat, gloves, and a heavy coat while driving. Before getting the Leaf, I would always drive in a t-shirt with the heat cranked way up. :)

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Ah, this brings back memories of when I first got my Leaf.

Heated steering wheel is awesome, and I'm going to really miss it. But that's when I learned to wear a hat, gloves, and a heavy coat while driving. Before getting the Leaf, I would always drive in a t-shirt with the heat cranked way up. :)
I drive my Prius with gloves on for the first part of a long winter drive, but the short trip to the local Y, they are on all the time.

mbrucem

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Come up to MN and I will give you a ride! Granted, you would have to ditch the flip flops (until summer at least) and wear like 10 layers of clothes... the color looks even better live! Wish I could capture the small flecks of sliver and blue in there. Just sparkles.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Come up to MN and I will give you a ride! Granted, you would have to ditch the flip flops (until summer at least) and wear like 10 layers of clothes... the color looks even better live! Wish I could capture the small flecks of sliver and blue in there. Just sparkles.
Bad timing I suppose, I was there for work in November (same trip I saw my first Model 3 in Hawthorne (SpaceX).

My dad has a Midnight Silver Model S and lives ~3 miles away, so I torture myself with it as often as possible :cool:

mbrucem

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nice to see some data and some insite on supercharging with the 3. Sounds like you have a great trip.

Only question I've got is are you sure it was $0.13 kWh in CA? I thought it was $0.20 kWh here.
Seems I was not charged for the CA stop the day I picked up the car. So I was wrong, sorry. No price for CA. Maybe it is coming, maybe 1st day free. No idea. Will let you all know.

AdamHolmes

Country
Country
That screenshot is torture as it’s my car combo (though it will never see -4 degree weather) :)

I have never experienced anything that cold. Living in Alabama the concept is so foreign to me I'm ashamed to admit that it took me a few minutes to recognize that that was a temp reading and not a sad looking man in a chair

Country
Country
I'm trying to imagine driving in below zero conditions - with only a tee shirt on. How do you get from warm house to warm car with no coat on? How do you wander into a 7-11 to get coffee when you are bare armed? What would you do if you had a flat, or other roadside emergency- Freeze?
Deep into the last century, I lived in Colorado and often went skiing - no way would I drive without heavy coats on. Has reality really changed this much? brrrrr

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm trying to imagine driving in below zero conditions - with only a tee shirt on. How do you get from warm house to warm car with no coat on?
Integral garage at home.

I would take a coat with me, I just wouldn't put it on until I arrive at my destination.
Sorry if that wasn't clear - I definitely had a coat with me. You never know when a car is going to break down and leave you stranded without heat.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Somebody on Teslarati started a petition to induce T≡SLA to consider the free first 400 kWh yearly free Supercharger allotment for the $50k+ Model 3s and I decided to go along with it.

While it is understandable that margins are likely to be too tight to do that across the range, it seems appropriate to think of it for LRB/PUP cars worth at least $49k.

Please jump onboard and add your name if you concur. And mark this post as ‘agree’ if you do.

No pressure. It’s a free country... ;)

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
you do know, that 'agrees' here count for nothing, right? ;)

thanks for sharing the petition!
Yes, I think I do, Melinda... ;)
Hence the first part of my plea...

To make it even clearer in case anybody had doubts:
‘(Please...) sign the dang petition!!’
:D

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Somebody on Teslarati started a petition to induce T≡SLA to consider the free first 400 kWh yearly free Supercharger allotment for the $50k+ Model 3s and I decided to go along with it.

While it is understandable that margins are likely to be too tight to do that across the range, it seems appropriate to think of it for LRB/PUP cars worth at least $49k.

Please jump onboard and add your name if you concur. And mark this post as ‘agree’ if you do.

No pressure. It’s a free country... ;)

I like free stuff as much as the next guy, but I gotta say I don’t agree with this.

Tesla still needs to make money. Setting up and powering the super chargers is not free. Heck, they don’t even include it with that S or X anymore beyond 400kw per year. Plus the referral program for free supercharging ends 1/31/2018, probably never to return.
They are not trying to gouge people on supercharger fees. I bet it just barely covers their electricity and maintenance costs. They are still losing money to operate.

I want Tesla to succed and change the world. So asking for more more more is not the way to help change.

Country
Country
I could see them selling charging bundles --prepay for a second 400 kWh kit. Buy as many as you need. But unlimited? Naw-that does not make for sound business. Just like unlimited, all-you-can-eat buffet lines. But only for that visit and you will get full. All -you -can -eat for a year ...OK for a given price. ? AYCE for ever for free? You have got to be kidding.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just found this thread and only read the last 4 pages of it because anything before that was pure guessing about what Tesla would do before the car hit the streets.

I see a mixed bag here, but I hope Tesla never offers any free SC'ing for the 3 or any future car. While Tesla is going a great job with rolling out SC's there won't be enough of them in the next 5 years or more to handle the number of 3's and all Tesla's that are about to hit the road.

I'm already reading more horror stories about people blocking the charger and we know several months back Tesla has already taken action to help curb that.

If you can afford this car, install a charger and charge at home. I don't want to subsidize anyone else's charging nor people that think SC's are the only form of charge out there. I kind of get it on the S and X - there is so much profit, they should get some, but for the 3 - most profit should go into building the Charging Infrastructure, but the electricity should not be free. In fact I hope and figure the prices should be higher to discourage the local charging. I'm not a fan of geofencing, because everyone here knows there will be a day you and or I are caught just a few miles from home and must get just 10 minutes of charge to finish an errand or to just get home. I would expect to pay a premium for that, but otherwise the SC's should be for travelers. Not commercial and not for cheapskates that want a free ride.

Last edited: