Supercharging (Model 3)> Free or Pay?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Is the new pay per use system fair?

• Yes

Votes: 82 81.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I would prefer to have free for life for x$

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • I won't use Superchargers much

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters

dudeman

Country
Country
Cheaper than gas for sure but in Ontario the tier 2 price is .26 per minute. A 30 minute charge is close to $8 as long as you get full kW from the SC. Usually when they're full you're going to get half that charge rate so twice as long at the same price.

I never expected it to be free but it sure puts our electricity prices into focus.

Toronto to Montreal for about $10 isn't that bad I guess. Cheaper than my Lincoln ;)
Cheaper than your Lincoln but infinitely more expensive than your Model X.

Congratulations on your Model X!!

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks like the wording has updated on Tesla site.

Model 3 does not receive annual Supercharger credits, and a small fee applies to Supercharge

https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging
I recall for a very long time now (at least since the delivery event in July, if not longer) that Model 3 was pegged as “pay-per-use” when it comes to supercharging.

mbrucem

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some data from my Fremont, CA to Council Bluffs, IA road trip in my Model 3.

1871 Total miles.

9 Supercharger stops. Hillman Ranch, Kellerman to see it, St. George, Beaver, Green River, Grand Junction, Glenwood Springs (overnight at Residence Inn, but it was Supercharger, not a Destination Charger), Silverthorne, Brush, Ogallala, Lincoln.

1 Destination charge overnight (Marriott in Vegas)

$45.78 in charging fees (started w/ 200 miles range, ended w/ 98 miles range.

Almost 100% highway driving (speed limits 75 - 80 the entire trip, and I went at least the speed limit).
Temperature once out of Colorado: Deadly. Like -10 to -15.
Temperature in car: 75 degrees
EAP & TACC on a lot of the trip.
Radio cranked.
Seat warmers on.

Gas would have cost me $233.88 (assuming 20 mpg and $2.50/gallon).

Rates for Supercharging in CA, CO, UT: $.13 kWh
Rates for Supercharging in NE: Tier 1: $.08/min & Tier 2: $.16/min - not sure what causes Tier 2 as time to get there was very different in my two NE stops.

Highest charge: Green River $8.06

Rides given to people I met at the Superchargers: 7.
New friends & people coming to see the car: Countless
Deer carcus avoided at night with EAP: 1
Photos taken of the car: who knows.

Fun factor (untll Council Bluffs, will share in other posts); HIGH.

This is truly an amazing car!!

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Some data from my Fremont, CA to Council Bluffs, IA road trip in my Model 3.

1871 Total miles.

9 Supercharger stops. Hillman Ranch, Kellerman to see it, St. George, Beaver, Green River, Grand Junction, Glenwood Springs (overnight at Residence Inn, but it was Supercharger, not a Destination Charger), Silverthorne, Brush, Ogallala, Lincoln.

1 Destination charge overnight (Marriott in Vegas)

$45.78 in charging fees (started w/ 200 miles range, ended w/ 98 miles range.

Almost 100% highway driving (speed limits 75 - 80 the entire trip, and I went at least the speed limit).
Temperature once out of Colorado: Deadly. Like -10 to -15.
Temperature in car: 75 degrees
EAP & TACC on a lot of the trip.
Radio cranked.
Seat warmers on.

Gas would have cost me $233.88 (assuming 20 mpg and $2.50/gallon).

Rates for Supercharging in CA, CO, UT: $.13 kWh
Rates for Supercharging in NE: Tier 1: $.08/min & Tier 2: $.16/min - not sure what causes Tier 2 as time to get there was very different in my two NE stops.

Highest charge: Green River $8.06

Rides given to people I met at the Superchargers: 7.
New friends & people coming to see the car: Countless
Deer carcus avoided at night with EAP: 1
Photos taken of the car: who knows.

Fun factor (untll Council Bluffs, will share in other posts); HIGH.

This is truly an amazing car!!
Excellent data. Glad to see some of these types of numbers filtering down to the general audience.

Do you have a total leg time from departure to mid point destination? Thanks

mbrucem

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nice to see some data and some insite on supercharging with the 3. Sounds like you have a great trip.

Only question I've got is are you sure it was $0.13 kWh in CA? I thought it was $0.20 kWh here.
Maybe an elon gift or system error? I just picked up the car, and when I charged there is showed no cost on the screen... maybe it will get updated. Will let you know. In MN now so no way to check it out.

mbrucem

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Excellent data. Glad to see some of these types of numbers filtering down to the general audience.

Do you have a total leg time from departure to mid point destination? Thanks
Sorry, I didn't track that. But is someone goes thru my Tweets, they may be able to figure it out. Long days. I stayed long at the Superchargers as the cold (and speed) were having an effect on the range. Model S owners I met at the chargers were getting 440! Much more than usual, and worse than the 3 (i.e. the 3 was more efficient).

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Sorry, I didn't track that.
Cheers. No worries, more a target of opportunity question.

You-You says he will be first in line to get (if offered) an aftermarket upgrade for a heated steering wheel because his hands are frozen without pumping the heat up.

What is your opinion, would a heated steering wheel have proven to be a strategic option for your trip (i.e. no need to keep the cabin so warm)? Thanks.

mbrucem

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Cheers. No worries, more a target of opportunity question.

You-You says he will be first in line to get (if offered) an aftermarket upgrade for a heated steering wheel because his hands are frozen without pumping the heat up.

What is your opinion, would a heated steering wheel have proven to be a strategic option for your trip (i.e. no need to keep the cabin so warm)? Thanks.
I personally like those and would upgrade as well. Hands weren't cold, but could have gotten started a bit faster with the cabin a bit cooler. Found they retained the heat pretty well from the sun and from my hands, but at night... woah.